Riddle me this batman...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 yrs for stat panel replacement? That seems a little lean. I spoke with Jim just the other day about Panel replacement times in my Odysseys and Ascents and he quoted me a number much higher than that. With consistent vaccuming in a non smoking humidity controlled environment, he said 12+ years easy. I vaccum mine twice per month, so I should fall within that time frame. Is it that much different with the CLS? I will admit I did not inquire about them on my phone call.

Yes, but when you're buying second-hand, you have no idea what they've been through. Would you take a gamble, or would you demand a reduced price "just in case"? I know what I would do.......

Tell me more? Mine are CLS IIa's, so they do not power down when idle.

So, do only CLS IIa's do actually snap/arc at dynamic bass spikes?

Some of the music I've listened to (with a few snaps):
ENYA (first album, lp or cd)
Patrick O'Hearn (Indigo cd)

Music with no snaps:
POC DeadMansChest (end credits), Well it's a stunning performance and sounds great cranked up (when my neighbor is gone), the solo instrumentalists sound like they are in the room with me.

Bach:Toccata Fugue in D Minor (my notes aren't clear on which version I recorded to cd, CC Records "Virgil Fox - The Fox Touch" or Command Classic's "VIrgil Fox at the Organ Plays...Johnann Sebastian Bach". The lowest registers are quite detailed.

Of course it is only due to the CLS's stunning clariety (and clean sound) that I ever listen to them cranked.

Tell me more? Mine are CLS IIa's, so they do not power down when idle.

So, do only CLS IIa's do actually snap/arc at dynamic bass spikes?

Some of the music I've listened to (with a few snaps):
ENYA (first album, lp or cd)
Patrick O'Hearn (Indigo cd)

Music with no snaps:
POC DeadMansChest (end credits), Well it's a stunning performance and sounds great cranked up (when my neighbor is gone), the solo instrumentalists sound like they are in the room with me.

Bach:Toccata Fugue in D Minor (my notes aren't clear on which version I recorded to cd, CC Records "Virgil Fox - The Fox Touch" or Command Classic's "VIrgil Fox at the Organ Plays...Johnann Sebastian Bach". The lowest registers are quite detailed.

Of course it is only due to the CLS's stunning clariety (and clean sound) that I ever listen to them cranked.

Give me your serial # and Ill tell you what month and year and day they were built !

You should NOT Have any ARCING! If you do you have a bad spower transformer in the X-over !

I'm the original owner of CEAC026 & CEAC027 (1989 March) with replacement panels CS2KF702 & CS2KF703 (1996 June).

I have always had minor snaps/arcs when driving them very hard on certain material. Regardless of age of the panels. Problems were discussed with Jim Powers, way back when.

These panels still look to be in good condition (no yellow areas with black pits, like on my old panels).

Electronics(CLS) have never been upgraded, perhaps I should seriously consider that.

Last edited:
I'm the original owner of CEAC026 & CEAC027 (1989 March) with replacement panels CS2KF702 & CS2KF703 (1996 June).

I have always had minor snaps/arcs when driving them very hard on certain material. Regardless of age of the panels. Problems were discussed with Jim Powers, way back when.

These panels still look to be in good condition (no yellow areas with black pits, like on my old panels).

Electronics(CLS) have never been upgraded, perhaps I should seriously consider that.

Get me a pic of the inside and I will see what might need to be done! We did mine at the factory !

CLS IIa #CEAC027 electronics

These do look different from the others that have been posted.

Attachments

• CEAC027-electronics(1989March)(6x8).jpg
    CEAC027-electronics(1989March)(6x8).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 119
  • CEAC027-electronics(1989March)zoom(12x9).jpg
    CEAC027-electronics(1989March)zoom(12x9).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 123
Those look to be a CLS II a right before they went to the CLS IIZ . You do have the power sensing supply that shuts off after no audio use is fed to them.

Final word on CLS arcing

I called the expert. Jim Power says that the CLS will produce a sharp snap...from an arc at the stator panel wire plugin on the circuit board. The 3 wires are about 1/2" apart and high enough voltages can cause an arc (if the electronics panel cover is off you would see a bright flash). Yes, you can get an arc on the panel too.

Since many CLS owners here have higher power amps than me, I would say the kind of music you listen to is the major factor! I'm thinking of Enya's first lp, with multiple low frequency instruments, as a primary example. Just a thought.

Back