Replacing Stat Panels ???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_tinker

Reaction score
Folks,
After reading several threads lately where people are mentioning swapping out their stat panels on their speakers every couple of years, that has got me thinking and also has me somewhat concerned...

Is that normal? Does one need to swap out their ESL panels after so much time, or every 60 thousand miles basically? Do they really wear out like that? Gosh, If that's the case, with the cost to replace them periodically, I really don't know if I would be able to afford that.

What about the ATF drivers such as those in the Mosaics? Do those need the same kind of replacment after time?

:confused:

-capT

Folks,
After reading several threads lately where people are mentioning swapping out their stat panels on their speakers every couple of years, that has got me thinking and also has me somewhat concerned...

Is that normal? Does one need to swap out their ESL panels after so much time, or every 60 thousand miles basically? Do they really wear out like that? Gosh, If that's the case, with the cost to replace them periodically, I really don't know if I would be able to afford that.

What about the ATF drivers such as those in the Mosaics? Do those need the same kind of replacment after time?

-capT

Panels occasionally need to be replaced, but it largely depends on environmental cleanliness. If you look after the panels and they are in a clean environment they may never have to be replaced. There are many of us getting near 20 years out of our panels.

Alternatively, if you neglect the panels or they are in a dirty environment (particluarly if there is any smoking in the house) you might get less than five years. It just depends.

It really depends on the total number of hours on them. If played hard every night, replacement every couple of years isn't out of line. However the panels on my Sequels are nearly 20 years old, and they sound fine, even with a relatively high number of hours, although one panel is getting noisy, no matter how much attention I give as far as maintenance is concerned. If your 'Logans are away from direct sunlight, and are kept as dust free as possible, and you're not listening to music six hours a night, they'll go longer than a couple of years!
HTH!:D

Folks,

-capT
confused:

Hola Capi. I am going to tell you what I did when I had stat panels epidemic here in Costa Rica...you never know when you are going to have a bad stat panels, until they fail, and also I have a pair that are playing over 16 years and their sound is superb. If you have a car...you have to service it once in a while, right?...think that ML needs the same let´s say service...you have to change the oil, and tires, and service many parts...on ML just the panels or minor problems at their power supply. But the cost and the pleasure that these speakers give, pays the bill and still think they are a bargain...on the ATF drives I don´t find any need for sevice!...happy listening,
Roberto.:cheers:

Last edited:
I had my Sequels for 17 years and only changed the panels ONCE and that was early on when they failed under warantee.. They were perfect after that for many years.

Every couple of years is very unusual and I would say very rare.

Folks,
-capT
I know people who swap out their cars every couple of years. Does this mean they can only drive newer cars, maybe!

You will always have those people who will want to be on top of everything and speakers are no exception. If someone offered me a couple of 20 year old CLS speakers I wouldn't hesitate to buy them knowing I could replace the panels in a worst case scenario. At best they won't depreciate anymore in value and I would be the proud owner of some exceptional equipment.

In my case I would say the risks in ownership far outweighs the pleasures returned.

BTW. I don't buy a new car every couple of years either.

Folks,

-capT

HI CapT,
I've had my CLS IIA's for over 15 years. Very recently I replaced the panels and the high voltage power supplies with the new sensing models.

The only reason I replaced the panels is they are getting old. They sounded fine-in fact, great. I had a small sensitivity issue with one speaker but that turned out to be a problem with the power supply.

Bottom line: CLS panels last very well based upon my expereince. Who knows where the limits are. My environment was not ideal being dusty and smoky. I am a smoker. Yet, the panels sounded perhaps better than ever. I did vacuum them about once a month.

Sparky

The panels on my ReQuests seem to have become a bit less 'opaque' over the years although sound degredation does not seem to be an issue. I vacuum them perhaps once every 2/3 months. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Tj

Latest posts

Back