Replacing NAD T163 With AVR

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatlinburger

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling and then replacing my NAD T163 with one of the new AVRs with all the HDMI switching and all the new 7.1 HD audio format decoding. (Yamaha RX-V663, Onkyo TX-SR705, etc.) I am using a NAD T973 seven channel power amp and I am really very pleased with the overall sound of the NAD combination.

My question is, how will an inexpensive AVR receiver sound with the NAD power amp? Will I be able to tell any difference? Will the benefits of the new HD formats sent from a BluRay disc outweigh a minor degradation in processing quality from the inexpensive AVR used as a pre-pro? TIA for your expert opinions.

Budget is a consideration. My other choice is to wait for the new Panasonic BluRay that will decode and send 7.1 analog channels into my NAD prepro.

Hi Stephen,

Hopefully you'll get enough input to garner a consensus. On the assumption that your budget is around $1K, my vote is the current Denon receiver that lists for $800. Sorry but I don't recall, what that model number is.

Great sounding unit for the money with all the current HDMI switching capabilities.

My sense is that Denon, as well as other receivers in this class, is more money generally means more power with little or no difference in the preamp / switching components of the unit.

GG

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I have the T973, and traded in my T163 for some new HT mains. Nice stuff, ain't it? I am not sure that the benefits will outweigh any degradation. I am not an expert on this. However, the NAD should have a superior analog section, which definitely counts for something. The new audio formats will give you greater dynamic range. I think you're covered on the amplifier part of the equation, so the rest is essentially up to the speakers, sub, room, and setup in this regard.

I bought a refurbed 805 from a President's Day sale at Onkyo Shop for $600. If I was buying a unit today, I would very strongly consider Yamaha. At the time of my purchase, there were not enough details available on the Yamaha line, and I felt like I had been waiting long enough for hi-def audio support. (My bdp is a Pana Bd-30, and so bitstream is my only option).

The Onkyo's, at least the 805, run very hot, unfortunately, even just as a pre-pro. I have it in an open audio rack, but it does make my NAD amp feel like an ice block in comparison. If you are using yours in some sort of cabinet, or credenza, I might look elsewhere. Ok, I know the 705 will not run as hot, but I think the overall QC issues with Onkyo are something to be concerned with. I tried calling them before, and it appears that CS is very, very lacking. Why did I buy the refurbed 805? Well, there weren't really any other afforable alternatives at the time of purchase, and the 805 was priced very similarly to the new 705. I figured wtheck.

I was also able to make this leap in compromise, er faith, as I was able to split off my electrostats into their own 2-ch room. I also needed an HDMi switched of some sort, and I figured this cost was defrayed in the receiver purchase as well. There are those who believe there can be a syncing issue with Onkyo's, but I myself am not sure if this is true. Could be though. Any sync or dropout seems to be more likely when one is outputting 24 fps video and bitstreamed hi-def. The only time Ive had issue thus far is with Sunshine on BD. However, many people are having the same issue with this disc when using 24 fps + DTS-MA bitstreamed, whether using Onkyo or not, and that's why I can't say its the receiver for sure.

I know it appears Im not answering anything simply for you. I think outside of very particular needs or setup constraints (ie hdmi, switcher, convenience, bitstream), I would make sure that everything else is up to snuff first. Including speakers, sub, treatments, speaker positioning, etc.

If you use MCA output from the BD-50, find out what kind of cut, if any, there is in the LFE. Bass mgmt gets above my head at times. For instance, how is one supposed to increase LFE back to "normal" without simultaneously increasing any summed bass? I'm sure there's a way, I just don't know it.

Something else to consider is the afforable HT pre/receiver coupled with a 2-ch pre/pro with HT bypass. You can add that later down the road. You will want unity gain with the ability to bypass while off, so that its not imbuing its own sonic signature during HT playback. If you are a big multi-ch music guy, which I am not, I would just ignore all of the above and either keep the NAD, or when you upgrade, get the nicest you can afford.

If you are curious on the 663, I think I know how you can get it for $400 new. At least as of a few days ago, they are probably sold out now, but you very well may obtain this price on backorder from an established vendor. PM if interested.

Other tidbits. Both the 663 and 705 can matrix hi-def over 7.1. While the 705 can have differing x-over points per speaker, the Yammy cannot. The improvements from the 705 to the 805 include use of BurrBrown DACs, current of 60 amps vs 36 amps, THX Ultra 2, Zone 3. Otherwise, they are pretty darn similar.

-J

I recently added the Denon 3808CI to my setup, planning to use it as a Pre/Pro for video only, paired with my Modwright SWL 9.0SE (with home theater bypass) for two-channel listening. However, in "Pure Direct" mode (which turns off all unnecessary circuits), with Audyssey MultEQ invoked, I'm quite surpised how good it sounds for two-channel (with Pre outs to my amp). I'm even contemplating using it full-time, and selling off my beloved Modwright! I didn't audition any other receivers, so can't comment on their performance, but it's clear to me that Denon didn't skimp much in the pre-amp section of the 3808CI (and higher line) receivers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back