Recommended crossover for Vantage/ Depth

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoe

Reaction score
I just received my SMS-1 and I was wondering what frequencies I should use for setting the low pass filter in the SMS-1 out to the depth i ? If the Vantage goes down around 30 hz is this where I would set the sub or at least the starting point ? Thanks, Sam

I just received my SMS-1 and I was wondering what frequencies I should use for setting the low pass filter in the SMS-1 out to the depth i ? If the Vantage goes down around 30 hz is this where I would set the sub or at least the starting point ? Thanks, Sam

Sam, I'd recommend starting with something higher, like 80Hz. Then if you feel like trying 60Hz, the Vantages might support that. But remember, the positioning of Electrostats is not optimal in the <100hz region. So passing that frequency range to a sub is recommended IMHO.

Also, 80Hz should be the upper end of your range. Any higher, and the sub becomes localizable.

Thanks Johnathan for getting back to me. I ended up setting it at 70 and I am relative flat from about 20 thru 80 where it begins to slope down around 100 at about 4 db then a gradual 2db rise then a significant 10 db spike around 160, then it starts to flatten out around 200. This after auto EQ has been applied. The bass it very good and integrated ;Very satisfying. Do you have any suggestions how to fix the 160 spike ? Sam

I already have significant room treatment that consist of 16 bass traps and all the first reflection points with absorption. Do you think that the 160 dip is due to reflection or lack of bass trapping? Thanks, Sam

To clarify... the SMS-1 has a variable low-pass output, but the high-pass is fixed at 80Hz, 12dB/Octave.

If you intend to run your Vantages full-range, you'll probably want to set the subwoofer to only receive a frequency range that augment's what little the Vantages are missing, at least when it comes to music. Something around 30~40Hz would be a good starting point to isolate the sub to just the bottom octave.

For movies where the signal is divided somewhat already by the mastering process, you may want a dramatically different setup... maybe sending more to the subwoofer and less to the Vantages. If your processor doesn't have the flexibility, remember that the Depth can connect to your processor with BOTH the .1/LFE and RCA stereo. ie: Run the subwoofer (LFE) output from your processor AND stereo mains to the Depth. (You may have to split your stereo main outputs if your processor doesn't have two sets). The Depth will use the LFE signal when present (watching movies, tv, etc) and the stereo input when it's not present (with the processor in bypass mode).

Sorry if this is confusing... it's basically what I do with my Vistas, Descent, SMS-1 and Outlaw 990 processor and it works nicely. Of course, it means I only get the benefit of the SMS-1 for movies/tv, but the Descent sounds great without any further processing in my room.

- Jason

Thanks Jason, My set up is for two channel only, I am using A CJ tube preamp and a CJ solid state amp. At this point I am crossing over at 70 hz running into the LFE to the Depth and out again to a Strata lll sub; running both subs out of the SMS-1. The effect is very satisfying with great integration with the Vantage. I have achieved near flatness from 20 to 80 hz before I dip 6db into 100 thru 160hz then back up within 3db at 200 hz. I need to figure out how to get a better flat response from 100 thru 160. May have to live with it as it is. The main thing is that the SMS-1 the bass issues in my room, for that I am very happy with the results. Thanks for your imput. Sam

Back