Recomended Surge & Line Conditioners?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist

Reaction score
What do I need for these that apply:

2 ML Summits
1 ML Stage
4 Passages
1 Decent i

Preamp (Denon Maybe)
Emotiva XPA-2 Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Playstation 3

Thanks again my friends!

That's an interesting system especially with the play station as the source.

Line conditioning does help a great deal. RF degrades audio big time. Digital things such as play stations and cd players radiate alot of RF. Because of that some people, including me, use separate line conditioning for the system and the digital equipment.

There are alot of ones which work, many are available at audiogon. But, before you do, think about getting two dedicated lines: one for the system and the other for the digital equipment. It should run you about $400.

Furman

Hi Twist,

Recently purchased a Furman Elite 20PFi PLC.

Unlike others that I have tried, there are no deleterious effects with the unit. In fact, my amp seems to respond quicker to transients and dynamic swings.

GG

Audience Adept response conditioner - having one in my system really improved things. I also have Foundation Research LC 1's going from my Odessey's to the Audience conditioner. The LC's are a powercord with a built in conditioner

What do I need for these that apply:

2 ML Summits
1 ML Stage
4 Passages
1 Decent i

Preamp (Denon Maybe)
Emotiva XPA-2 Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Playstation 3
Well, the Summits and Stages don't have a great need for power conditioning, as they basically just 'charge up' from the power line. (You're supposed to wait 10-15 minutes to play them after you've plugged them in, and they'll play 15-20 minutes after you unplug them as they deplete their stored power.) The Descent probably isn't that dependent on line power either, as it has its own internal power amps, and finally the Passages probably just need 'decent' power as they're doing the surround support and don't need a lot.

That brings us to the preamp and amps (and playstation), which will definitely perform better with clean power. Personally, in my house I like what I get with the Richard Grey power conditioners, and your overall system performance will almost always be better with a dedicated line.

Well, the Summits and Stages don't have a great need for power conditioning, as they basically just 'charge up' from the power line. (You're supposed to wait 10-15 minutes to play them after you've plugged them in, and they'll play 15-20 minutes after you unplug them as they deplete their stored power.) The Descent probably isn't that dependent on line power either, as it has its own internal power amps . . .

I disagree with this. Because the Summits and the Descent have their own internal power amps and electronics is why they need surge protection and power line filtration, in my opinion.

twist - tell us about those emotivas...... I have been curious about them... what have you compared them to...

I disagree with this. Because the Summits and the Descent have their own internal power amps and electronics is why they need surge protection and power line filtration, in my opinion.
Surge protection? Absolutely. Power line filtration? IMHO not as critical here. The internal amps in both the summits and descent are only driving the subwoofers, and at that end of the sonic spectrum clean vs relatively clean power isn't all that noticeable.

The key phrase here, of course, is 'relatively clean power'. If you've got, like we do where we built our house in 2001, pretty modern power distribution mechanisms, its not much of a problem. On the other hand, if your area has a tendency to have 'dirty' power then run, don't walk, to get that power conditioner.

I guess my poorly made point was that I don't think that power conditioning will make much of a sonic difference here. With all of that said, I always have a power conditioner protecting my expensive electronics, so I'm probably contradicting myself. (Yeah, I really am, aren't I. Sigh.)

twist - tell us about those emotivas...... I have been curious about them... what have you compared them to...

Well I have an Audiophile friend that has most of the speakers I'll be using (Summits, Stage, Decent i, ect) and showed me the different sounds that come out of each of his different amps. He uses some huge amp switches for demonstrating the various quality sound differences for his speakers. He demoed me Krell, Emotiva, Sunfire, Meridian, McCormack, Arcam, Outlaw, and McIntosh amps. I felt like I was at a high end home theater / audio store (but without someone trying to sell me something)! He gets most of the amps months before consumers plus he gets huge discounts since he writes reviews on them. Anyways, some of the amps sounded good, some better and a couple were like WOW! They all differered in sound with the same speaker setup and the same Denon PreAmp. MY OWN OPINIONS:

GOOD: Sunfire gave a little too much bass for both music/movies (had to adjust the bass to low) and same with Outlaw. Arcam sounded good for movies and sounded flutey for music. McCormack was great for music but seemed to lack bass for movies (kinda sounded like BOSE).

BETTER: Meridian sounded better for my ears as they performed better and equally for both music and movies.

WOW!: Krell and Emotiva amps kicked ass! At even low volumes they gave powerful but precise sound for anything. McIntosh also gave precise sound but was a step up of everyone when it came to quickness of beats. It also seemed like the music was a bit warmer and quieter on the acapella blank backgrounds (in between beats too).

So in my opinion the Krells and the Emotivas sounded almost identical. Maybe Krell was a little bit better in sound quality but not by much. Honestly McIntosh sounded the best out of all them. Emotiva was sounded amazing (XPA-2 and XPA-5). Plus their blue LED lights match well with the Martin Logan Summits and Decent i! Their prices are unbelievable! Are they like the best kept secret or what???

I disagree as well about the ML's not requiring conditioning.With the summit and vantage having an amp , it would be wise to condition.

With my Odessey's it made a vast difference adding an LC 1 Foundation Research powercord/ conditioner to each speaker, were talking night to day, not a little subltle difference. The ML dealer I bought the Oddessey's from suggested the Foundation Research product , even though he wasn't a dealer for FR. I trusted his opinion and sure enough he was bang on with his suggestion.

Blue Circle makes a similar powercord ( BC 68 ) made specifically for ML's with the conditioner built right in the cord as well. Gilbert, the owner of BC uses ML's in his soundrooms and at demo's.
www.bluecircle.com

Cheers

Last edited:
Power line filtration? IMHO not as critical here. The internal amps in both the summits and descent are only driving the subwoofers, and at that end of the sonic spectrum clean vs relatively clean power isn't all that noticeable.

I have noticed that my Summits and my Descent are very susceptible to ground loop hums and electrical line noise (from dimmers, etc). That is why I recommend the Power Line Conditioners for these speakers.

I've taken a mid-priced approach to surge protection... using a Belkin PF60 for my audio components, and an older Monster HTS 3500 MKII for my Summits, Motif, and video gear. The Belkin has high total peak current capability, and excellent surge protection. It also offers ethernet surge protection, which I needed for my Squeezebox. I found NO audible constraints when comparing it with my components plugged direct to dedicated 20A outlets.

Belkin PF60s are nice. I have not seen surge protection with a high Joule rating than the PF60. The PF60 is also the most programmable.

WOW!: Krell and Emotiva amps kicked ass! At even low volumes they gave powerful but precise sound for anything. McIntosh also gave precise sound but was a step up of everyone when it came to quickness of beats. It also seemed like the music was a bit warmer and quieter on the acapella blank backgrounds (in between beats too).

So in my opinion the Krells and the Emotivas sounded almost identical. Maybe Krell was a little bit better in sound quality but not by much. Honestly McIntosh sounded the best out of all them. Emotiva was sounded amazing (XPA-2 and XPA-5). Plus their blue LED lights match well with the Martin Logan Summits and Decent i! Their prices are unbelievable! Are they like the best kept secret or what???
Not sure how secret they are. The brand name has come up a few times here. I own 2 of their amps.

This thread got 0 response. I suspect that Emotiva's prices are too low for them to be taken seriously here.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5035&highlight=emotiva

One question: was you listening test conducted with level matched volumes?

Your system description

I have noticed that my Summits and my Descent are very susceptible to ground loop hums and electrical line noise (from dimmers, etc). That is why I recommend the Power Line Conditioners for these speakers.

Rich,

I know you are really, really close to posting your system description, but . . . if you get a chance . . . . can you just make a quick list in a post of your components?

I have the Summits and a Sanders 2 channel amp, and am seriously thinking of moving up to the mono blocks, especially after hearing them at Burke's house! I'm researching pre amps, speaker cables, power cords, power conditioners, etc., and it seems the things I end up narrowing the list to, are things YOU have in your system! Perhaps you can save me, and others the search . . . What stuff do you have? No need to do a lengthy write up, just the pieces . . . I think you have both an ARC Ref 3 and the Sanders pre amp, but what about IC's (I'm using Kimber Kable Hero's), speakers cables and power conditioner?

I was looking at the Nordost Blue Heavan speaker cables. I think those are bi-wire.

THANKS!

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back