Recipe for failure?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spectral

Reaction score
I just ran across this announcement on the new Daniel Hertz line by Mark Levinson... Daniel Hertz? What? Couldn't come up with a better, catchy name? More info here. Wanna guess how long this venture is going to last?

Last edited:
I'm with you on that one...

As a reviewer, I get really tired of these guys always saying that they've come up with "the best" , "a paradigm shift" etc etc.

Most of the advances in high end audio in the past 20 years have come from applying advanced materials and refining current technologies to a higher level than previously done.

I can't say I've seen a tremendous amount of REAL change in amplifiers and speakers, etc.etc.

Agreed. His new speakers' bass drivers look like they are made of paper pulp. I'd be curious to get more details, only for the fun of it...

made of paper pulp. .

..ribbed for her listening pleasure.:ROFL:

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ultimate-gear/a_legend_returns/
091029-dh-closeup.jpg

I get that it's kind of hard to swallow the Marketing Hype sometimes, but I'm a little suprized that folks here would bag on Mark Levinson without ever hearing the stuff. The guy is pretty much an audio legend after all.

I remember how much commotion there was on this site when both the Summit and then later the CLX were both announced. People hated both of them, again without ever hearing them. I prefer not to comment on a piece of audio equipment I haven't heard myself.

As for sound I don't know ! As for looks, its ugly and looks of the 70's old Fisher system. I do think Mr. Levinson was done after John Curl and him split. Sorry Madrigal gear wasn't my cup of tea. Neither Harmon !

...I remember how much commotion there was on this site when both the Summit and then later the CLX were both announced. People hated both of them, again without ever hearing them. I prefer not to comment on a piece of audio equipment I haven't heard myself.

Most of those negative first opinions were based on the lousy first photos that initially published and posted. Don't know why they do that. A company has control over the first photos unless they wait too long to act and an unauthorized photo gets out. Once people saw it person it was different story. Of course, sounding great helped overcome any negative first impressions.

So I'll reserve my opinion on them until I see these new Daniel Hertz speakers. Although, I can't help but have my doubts that a $75,000 retro conventional box speaker is going to blow my socks off.

Last edited:
I get that it's kind of hard to swallow the Marketing Hype sometimes, but I'm a little suprized that folks here would bag on Mark Levinson without ever hearing the stuff. The guy is pretty much an audio legend after all.

This is just the initial "market" reaction, and sometimes it's good and others it isn't. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I can't help but recall Mike Kay's words in The Absolute Sound that ML can sometimes be his own worst enemy. Although we surely have to wait and listen to his new gear, the first impression wasn't all that positive, for some.

[QUOTE..ribbed for her listening pleasure.:ROFL:

:D Haven't thought of that in years....sad when I think about it.

Anyway, if I had $75K to drop on speakers, I'd certainly want something that looked "wow," made of some amazing materials, had a "what the heck is that" presence about it. I hope the Hertz speakers look better in person.

Actually, my Summits engender the above reaction when any non-audiophile sees them for the first time. I love the aluminum/wenge combination, gorgeous juxtaposition of textures and color.

Latest posts

Back