Receivers and ML.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiXeL

Reaction score
What happens if i conect my ML's directly to my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver?

Will it kill the receiver?

I used a Yammy RX-V1600 with Aeon-i at low and moderate volumes for a few months without any problems other than the poor sound from the pre-pro.

Thanks. :)

Just heard that because of the ML's low ohm's, a receiver would short out.

So a receiver and my Sequel's are going to work fine togheter with "normal" apartment volume?

Just asking because i think my Rotel power amps are starting to sound dull, and are getting ready for retierment.

Short out? Who told you that, it's wrong. MLs do dip to around 1 0hm at very high frequencies, but that is far from a short. Also, there is very little energy in that frequency range, so there's no reason to be concerned about the amplifier. The Yammy is at no risk at apartment volumes if you leave enough air around it.

I believe your Rotel amps are fine and that you are getting ready to move up to a better pre-amp or pre-pro than the Yammy is. In my experience, at apartment volumes the pre- part is much more important than the amplifier.

Ha det bra,

Ralf

I believe your Rotel amps are fine and that you are getting ready to move up to a better pre-amp or pre-pro than the Yammy is. In my experience, at apartment volumes the pre- part is much more important than the amplifier.

Hm, maby you got a point here.
Worth trying out.

Ha det bra,

Ralf

:clap:

I have run my Aerius I speakers using a Yamaha RX-V995, biwired for 8 years. The receiver is rated at 100 watts into 8 ohms...I forget how much into 4 or 2 ohms. Anyhow, I have never ever had a single problem using that setup.

Not even when my wife laid a book on the Pronto remote and the volume knob got pushed, causing the Yamaha's volume control to go ALL the way to the right.

Twice.

I connected them to my receiver just now.

Sounds even bether than with my Rotel power amps! (2x RB-991)

Bye-bye Rotels. :D

Wondering about buying a couple of Quad monoblocks to replace the Rotels.

I first ran my Aeon i speakers directly from a Yamaha R-V1105 with 85 wpc @ 8 ohms and 125 @ 4. They sounded fine although I switched to a much more powerful Carver amp using the Yamaha as a processor. The Y now runs a Cinema i and it seems fine, although I wish it had more kick.

I have been told by salespersons that the ML's ohm issue is death to anything but the best quality amps, yet the Y is pulling through just fine. Wonder if they're trying to sell me something?

The low impedence drop is at 20 khz. There is virtually no content being amplified at that frequency, and the amount of power to reproduce whats there is negligible. A few receivers might become unstable with such a low load, but the vast majority of receivers can handle this impedence drop just fine.

Decent receivers like mid to upper range Yamaha's, Denon's, HarmanKardon and Marantz should do OK.

However, some lower-range units and other brands have been know to blow fuses or fry their output stages trying to flow the kind of current a ML can take at higher volumes.

So the warning has some merit, however I agree it's probably been overstated.

In any case, ML's definitely sound better with capable amplification than without.

Back