Receiver Denon 1913 or Amp for Motion 12

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monil

Reaction score
Hi,

is the Denon 1913 good enough to power 2 front Motion 12,
or should I go for an amp or a 2.1 receiver - if so which one ? any suggestions

I am slowly building my setup, so will have only the 2 font speaker setup

i have motion 12 speakers with a denon avr-591 shut down after 10 min. at mid to high vol. so upgrated to a denon 3312 and preout to a amp. sounds so wonderful with no problems.

if i remember right does the 1913 have a preout for amps you could buy a used ,one that is what a did? i bought a parasound hca-2200 model for $350 it is old but works wonders with the speakers.just look around there are deals out there.

started out one thing at a time,, now i have 2 motion 12s front,2 motion 10s surrounds, 2 motion 8 sides and a cinema center channel and 2 other amps together.
.but sound so GOOD TO ME.i guess that all that matters? baby steps it will take time but will be worth it.

At the least you should pay a little more and get the lowest model with pre-outs which I think is the 2313. Then later on you can pick up a used external amp when you get upgraditius like the rest of us. I have owned Denon AVR's. They are great sounding but even though the Motions 12 are compatible with 8 ohm receivers they breath much better and jump to life with a real 4ohm capable receiver or amp. The best deal right now on a new 4ohm receiver that will crush that 1913 is the Pioneer on newegg the SC-1221. It is basically the same amp as the Pioneer Elite SC-61. I think the amps are identical except for the 12 trigger on Elite. The non Elite Pio Sc is a true sleeper and they were selling these for around $500 and 1913 isn't even close or even in the same league as this amp. The Denon has a warmer sound and I liked the Denon sound for sure. A Nice, warmer and mellower sound but these AVR's are not to be compared with those new kicking D3 amp in the Pio's when it comes to low impedance that your Motion 12's are. You could also look for a decent deal at accessories4less and buy a previous year model Onkyo which is another 4ohm AVR that will smash the 1913. Don't get me wrong the 1913 for sure is a nice little AVR but you can make your doe go longer on the music side for the 4ohm speaker. Those 12's with Dipole mids can really get down if you can drive them the right way. Heck for what they are going for on newegg that's a ton of speaker for the price. It destroys those similar priced Polk or klipse or any of those other main stream brands in that price range, smashes them. I have a set in my HT and love em but once they are broken in they need a good kick in the pants that the 1913 aint built to give... You bought a premium, boutique brand, unique designed, modern speaker with a sweat mid dipole and an ultra modern and super ribbon tweeter that is spot on and just need to follow through and drive them properly and you will be happy you did. Heck, i think that dipole mid sounds better than the new 20 tower that costs way more for a little larger ribbon and a more traditional look...

Hey thanks a lot for your input, it was really helpful

I returned the 1913 and will chose either the SC-1222 or the Denon 2313 this coming week

Back