Really good solo piano recordings

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'm just an audiophile wannabe! I just realized that I remember good performances, not good recordings.
No, you're not a wannabe! However we I think all strive for the ultimate Nirvana when both happen on the same disc!:bowdown:

Maurizio Pollini did some fine performances of the last Beethoven Sonatas (for DG).

Classical:
  1. Murray Perahia
  2. Vladimir Ashkenazy

Contemporary:
  1. Fariborz Lachini
  2. Nancy DoVan

Note: A friend gave the music sheets of Lachini's Golden Autumn compositions as a gift to my son and that was how we came to know of Fariborz Lachini. I researched on-line and bought the Golden Autumn series and they are great! Recently, I have the pleasure of comparing my son's playing these pieces on the Steinway to the CD playing through the Logans. The electronics system is FAR behind the the 80-year-old Steinway in terms of immediacy and musicality, but that's to be expected :D

Spike

Much is made of Murray Perahia playing Bach, but I am not a fan of Bach - too mathematical. Now Murray Perahia playing Schubert is another story, especially when heard live, as I have had the fortune to. His Schubert "Serenade" defies description; if I had to live with only one piano recording, that would be it.

Tube If you are into New Orleans style Blues and Boogie try to findDr. JohnPlays Mac Rebennack on Demon Records. Awesome!!! D.R.

Just got this one. WOW!!! Great recommendation. Love it!

Off the bat, I heartily recommend these...
Yarlung Records: David Fung The Piano- Evening Conversations

BTW, Yarlung recordings are phenomenal, and they are starting to release some in high-res. I've been meaning to order more.

inspired by this thread I've just got this one.
Indeed, the recording is very good and the performance is snappy and vital.:cool:

Piano is not easy to record properly, I've got several 'good' recordings that sound muffled and artificial.
This one is good.

Back