Real Traps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
Hello All,
I sent an email to them questioning what they would recommend. One was the Mini Trap and the other was the HF version. I am happy where the bass is so I assume the HF may be the better choice as they recommended. I have some old panels behind my speakers attached directly to the sheetrock wall from a construction job that are semi solid obsorption which are about 1" thick. I don't believe they are the best option but were free.

What I am trying to do is kill down a room that is a tad lively per the slap echo method. I do have corner treatment which for the life of me cannot remember the product but do know they are out of business.
The room is 14' wide by 16' long with a ceiling height of 7'-8".
The side walls have the same product as what is on the back wall but don't think they are a factor.

I also have a 2'x2' deflection panel centered at the wall behind the speakers.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Bob

Real Traps make a good product--on my list of upgrades for this year is a bunch of their panels. Ethan and co certainly seem to know their acoustics, so I'm sure that whatever advice you receive will be pretty much on the button. Also, at only 1" thick, your current traps won't be doing much trapping!

I think the other brand your talking about (the out of business one) mught be Echo Busters (or something similar).

Bob,

You may want to check GIK (panels and bass traps) and ATS Acoustics (panels only) for price comparisons.

My past research indicated that Real Traps was pricier than the above mentioned manufacturers.

GG

If you are going with Realtraps, you definitely want the HF version to put behind your speakers. I mounted mine off the wall about four inches using brackets you can get at any hardware store, and that works great.

Thank you all for the quick responses! I will check out the other brands as well.

The other room treatement I have are 8th Nerve I believe. Took awhile to remember,hate getting older:)

Best,
Bob

You may want to check GIK (panels and bass traps) and ATS Acoustics (panels only) for price comparisons.

My past research indicated that Real Traps was pricier than the above mentioned manufacturers.
Gordon, can't speak to ATS, but, having owned both RT and GIK stuff, RT's build quality is significantly better, which would tend to justify the higher price. Acoustically, they may be very similar and GIK does provide for more fabric options, so choose your compromise.

The 8th nerve stuff, or at least as it's depicted here, appears rather small and so, unless there's some hidden magic, likely will not provide the same level of improvement vs. larger surface area products.

Back