ReadyNAS and SlimServer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulo m

Reaction score
This past week I got myself a ReadyNAS device. I am quite happy with it, the amount of storage and admin interface make it extremely convenient and a no-brainer. However, I find some differences in the sound quality of my files if I serve them through the NAS's own SlimServer or through the one on my WinXP desktop. The sound through ReadyNAS's SlimServer feels somewhat constricted and a touch less dynamic and "sparkly".

Does any of you have the same experience?

The first thing I did was obviously to update the firmware of the NAS to bring it to the latest version (6.5.4) and ensure that all settings agree (to the best of my knowledge, as far as what is accessible from the UI--I didn't go to the config files and check command-line options for the decoders). I am also aware that the NAS's SlimServer is the Linux version and that perhaps its codecs might be different implementations or altogether different versions than those I have on my WinXP box.

P.S. I haven't yet tried any FLAC files, only mp3. I would assume FLACs should have no difference at all as it is the native format being fed into the Squeezebox/Transporter.

Last edited:
Wow, keep posting your impressions/experience here. Not that I can afford one right now, but my wife and I are considering a Ready NAS for her future photography business and for my music.

The ReadyNAS (or any other NAS), will not have as much processing power to run Slimserver as a Windows (or other OS) desktop. However, as far as I know, that only results in SLUGGISH Slimserver performance at times, rather than a degradation in sound quality. If you are indeed hearing a difference, then something is wrong. Are you sure both the ReadyNAS and WinXP versions of Slimserver were configured EXACTLY the same when comparing? Perhaps the ReadyNAS version has "bit-rate limiting" or "replaygain" turned on. You'll need to delve into the audio settings to check that. It's also likely the ReadyNAS version of Slimserver is not the latest version, but it's been quite some time since any CORE Slimserver changes were made that would affect audio performance. I would also repeat the comparison using FLAC (make sure neither is downconverting and streaming as MP3), and if the difference persists, I would post this issue on the SlimDevices forum.

The ReadyNAS (or any other NAS), will not have as much processing power to run Slimserver as a Windows (or other OS) desktop. However, as far as I know, that only results in SLUGGISH Slimserver performance at times, rather than a degradation in sound quality. If you are indeed hearing a difference, then something is wrong. Are you sure both the ReadyNAS and WinXP versions of Slimserver were configured EXACTLY the same when comparing? Perhaps the ReadyNAS version has "bit-rate limiting" or "replaygain" turned on. You'll need to delve into the audio settings to check that. It's also likely the ReadyNAS version of Slimserver is not the latest version, but it's been quite some time since any CORE Slimserver changes were made that would affect audio performance. I would also repeat the comparison using FLAC (make sure neither is downconverting and streaming as MP3), and if the difference persists, I would post this issue on the SlimDevices forum.

Yes, I made sure they were both configured exactly the same. Replaygain and bitrate limits were two things that immediately occurred to me and I ensured they matched.

The version on the ReadyNAS is the most recent firmware (it was preinstalled) with the latest SlimServer add-on (released about two weeks ago, which I then proceeded to download and apply myself).

Now, the sound is only subtly different--but enough of a difference to be noticeable if you listen critically--so I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with the software. In my experience, this sort of difference is typical of different implementations of the codecs, hence my reasoning that it may be the cause.

I will spend some time in the next few days experimenting with the various file formats and will post any results. I will also take a look at the SlimDevices forum for anything of the sort. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've had a ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 320GB drives for close to a year now, and I really couldn't tell any difference between the server and the test system I first put together on my XP system. In fact, if anything I'd lean toward just the opposite.

With that said, the whole point and purpose of using lossless FLAC encoding is to be able to always generate exactly the same output, regardless of where the processing occurs. I'd lean toward assuming the decoded bitstreams are the same and that something else is causing the differences you're hearing.

I've had a ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 320GB drives for close to a year now, and I really couldn't tell any difference between the server and the test system I first put together on my XP system. In fact, if anything I'd lean toward just the opposite.

With that said, the whole point and purpose of using lossless FLAC encoding is to be able to always generate exactly the same output, regardless of where the processing occurs. I'd lean toward assuming the decoded bitstreams are the same and that something else is causing the differences you're hearing.

There is no something else. The Squeezebox connects to either server and there is nothing else in the chain that would affect sound quality (we're not changing cables or even changing inputs on the preamp). The only difference is really the instance of the server that is being used.

I haven't yet tested FLAC as I said, and in any case I'd like to verify and confirm this behavior with mp3 files. It is my understanding that even though the server sends FLACs to the Squeezebox regardless of the format of the file being read, there is a realtime transcoding process that reads the file in its original format and produces a FLAC stream which is then sent to the Squeezebox/Transporter.

Back