Amarra software.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
To anyone using iTunes and a Mac (my case, Mac Mini) as your digital source, I enthusiastically recommend the Amarra software. I had read the review in TAS or stereophile and wasn't sure how much of a difference in sound quality it would make, but after living with the software for a week now, I wouldn't want to listen to music from my computer without it. This is with redbook spec files. Supposedly, the improvement is even greater with higher rez digital. There are two versions of the Amarra software, but the more expensive version handles the highest resolution files. Even though my Ayre QB-9 only handles up to 24/96 files, there may someday be a firmware update available (hope, hope). I have yet to hear any 24/96 files through my DAC, but the 16/44 files with the Amarra sound terrific.

Say, what would you say is the biggest difference? I've just got it but haven't had time to play with it yet...

I've also heard that it does a fantastic job with low res MP3 files. That's something I've been amazed at how well my dCS stack does.

Looking forward to hearing what you and a few others have to say on this subject!

I've had Amarra for over a year and couldn't go back without it. It's really great!

Say, what would you say is the biggest difference? I've just got it but haven't had time to play with it yet...

I've also heard that it does a fantastic job with low res MP3 files. That's something I've been amazed at how well my dCS stack does.

Looking forward to hearing what you and a few others have to say on this subject!

Ok, I'll try. I think it improves the 3D image of each instrument and the ease of hearing all the subtle nuances of a musical piece. It seems to lock in the timing aspect of a piece of music, so that the notes from various instruments are singing the same song, sort of like the difference of when a band is "tight" versus struggling. It seems to increase perceived dynamic range. Sounds come from an even quieter silence and pop out more like live music than recorded music. I've been using the first track of Buddy Guy's album, "Blues Singer" and going back and forth between using Amarra and not. The differences are somewhat startling. I had thought that the CD was a pretty good recording, but without Amarra it sounds like a demo tape in comparison. Well, maybe not that bad, but it is definitely more lifelike with Amarra.

I haven't played MP3s, (I don't have any) but I was amazed at what Amarra did to CDs that did not sound very good before. I'm an old Zephyr fan (Tommy Bolin, et al) and their "Going Back To Colorado" CD always sounded flat to me. Though not as good as a great recording, Amarra's ability to flesh out the sound of each instrument played on this album makes it much more enjoyable for me to listen to.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my new digital combo, Amarra, QB-9 and Mac Mini. Very analogue sounding in the best sense. I think it would make a very good comparison test against the best redbook players. Having not heard higher resolution files, I have no comment on those playback abilities.

Cool. I'm definitely planning on going the mac mini route in my media room, so I will have to look into this software.

Back