Re Quest Imaging

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil H

Reaction score
I have had my Re Quests for many years now and in a new room for the past year. The problem is that I seem to have trouble in getting a solid centre image with a tendancy for vocals to come from somewhere in the direction of the right speaker. .

I did move some furniture in the back part of the room but can't remember if this is when the problem started

I tried swapping the speakers and also the leads in various combinations with no effect

Positioning the speakers in exactly the same distance from walls doesn't fix the problem. The room is about 5.5 metres X 7 metres.

Any suggestions.

I have had my Re Quests for many years now and in a new room for the past year. The problem is that I seem to have trouble in getting a solid centre image with a tendancy for vocals to come from somewhere in the direction of the right speaker. .

I did move some furniture in the back part of the room but can't remember if this is when the problem started

I tried swapping the speakers and also the leads in various combinations with no effect

Positioning the speakers in exactly the same distance from walls doesn't fix the problem. The room is about 5.5 metres X 7 metres.

Any suggestions.

Hola..try to have the inner side of the speaker at least 1/3 of the stat panel facing you of each speaker...use the flashlight technic from Jim Power at the tweak section of this forum...lay the speakers at least 1 inch off their back, adjusting the feet at the bottom front, this array might help...happy listening,
Roberto.

Sounds like some asymmetry in absorption or reflection in the room is smearing the image.

It’s really important that the reflectivity and absorption *behind* the speakers be even, or you get effects like you describe.

Are there drapes or furniture pieces behind one unit that are not the same as the other?

Even side-wall reflections of the rear-wave will tilt the image if one side is absorbed and the other not.
Diffusion also will play into this, so a bookcase on the left and a flat wall on the right will also tilt the image.

Likewise for things at the other end of the room, any big asymmetries there?

One must really experiment with these babies. I had a left center image for the longest time . Try putting them along the shorter wall. Your room is roughly 16.6 feet x21 ft. that is close to mine. Measure out from the side wall 44 inches from each side to the center of the panel. Adjust the toe , so that the 1/3 inside edge is the shining edge(The Jim Power method) you will see a beam of light when shinning a flash light in your sitting chair. Your sitting chair will be 11.6 feet back from the front inside wood edge to the head area. Now adjust the front tilt so that the top of the panel tilts forward about 1 inch . If your close you should be at about 53 inches IIRC from the wall to the top out side wood trim edge. You may have to fine tweak them but this is gonna get ya close. The rear wall in my room is very reflective .

Each room is a bit different as Mine is partially under ground so the bass is reinforced by the cement walls under the dry wall and the raised wood panels. You may have to play with reflective absorbers. ..............Good Luck and don't give up.

Here is a link of my set up. Its as good as I have heard from my system the bass is fantastic the image is dead center and deep and wide .

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=4450

Here is another thred about front tilt..............

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3275

Back