Quest amplifier recommendations please!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkjeffers

Reaction score
ALthough I think the words budget and martin logans do not necessarily go together, I am trying to purchase a SS amplifier for under $1K. I have been recomended the Classe 200, but this is a little out of my price range ( $1300 - $1500 used ); and Pass or Krell ( also usually outside the $1K budget )

I have found several listings for Nak PA7 , Crown, Forte or PS Audio, and BAT in the sub $1K range but know little about the performance with the Quests. Any advice would be appreciated. Help!

In TAS Issue 173 (August 2007) they reviewed a Tube/SS hybrid from Vincent Audio (the SP-331) that puts out 150 watts/channel, costs $999, and is supposed to be the best they have heard for under $1000.

The original Sunfire amp. It was rated at 300wts PC . It ran my Quest's damn near as well as the Krell.

ditto to the Sunfire....had one before my Bryston...used it with my CLSZ2's....has a tube like/magical midrange.

Thanks for the advice

hadn't thought about these units..............anyone have experience with the Nakamichi stasis PA 7? There is a couple out there right now I was looking at.......Pass design from Nak.

I would always be concerned about the amps behavior with the Quest as it's impedance dips fairly low and may be a problem for some amplifiers with insufficient power and having a typical rating for 8 ohms.

Wayner

hadn't thought about these units..............anyone have experience with the Nakamichi stasis PA 7? There is a couple out there right now I was looking at.......Pass design from Nak.

I've heard the Nak Stasis amps with stats and they are a good match. Keep in mind that they are old. If I were looking at a that amp, I'd be critical of how they were used and how many owners they've had.

Sunfire Signature is a good match and well within your budget.

I had a Sunfire Stereo II amp - 325wpc into 8 ohms running my Ascents. I ran it with a tubed preamplifier and I thought it was a good match.
I sold mine for $800, and I've seen them for about that on eBay and Audiogon from time to time.
Runs cool, so you can put them into a rack with no worries, too.

Avoid the Vincent stuff. It's built very lousy.

Got fired at the absolute sound because I wouldn't write the review to
say the build quality was great. The power switch broke off in my hand,
all plastic!!!

The new guy who took over for my spot said the Vincent amp had
"Krell-like" build quality..

Buyer beware on Vincent....

Vincent Amps........lead paint??

Avoid the Vincent stuff. It's built very lousy.

Got fired at the absolute sound because I wouldn't write the review to
say the build quality was great. The power switch broke off in my hand,
all plastic!!!

The new guy who took over for my spot said the Vincent amp had
"Krell-like" build quality..

Buyer beware on Vincent....

Yes, I understand they are German design but China build........which I would prefer to avoid in favor of established brand. Thanks for that insider info! You mean I can't blindly trust magazine reviewers???

I looked at one of these Sunfire 2CH amps on Audiogon, but the asking price was way over $1K so I hadn't looked further........ I would like to find one for under $1K.......

thanks, yes they ( Nak's) are old and my concern is servicability now that Nak is not in home audio business anymore. The internet is full of praises for them, and they are Pass design.

Outlaw makes some nice stuff. Their CS is top notch as well. They very helpful. Look at Audiogon, Videogon, ebay. Outlaw amps well under $1000 Preamp (950) $300-400 Preamp (990) $600-800

I second Monarchy Audio as a strong contender. The SE-100 Delux Class A amps are a good fit with MLs. It is a very musical amp.

I have had the Monarchy and Sunfire amps running my MLs and I prefer the detail and musicality of the Monarchy. However if you are looking for all out power go with Sunfire.

I second Monarchy Audio as a strong contender. The SE-100 Delux Class A amps are a good fit with MLs. It is a very musical amp.

I have had the Monarchy and Sunfire amps running my MLs and I prefer the detail and musicality of the Monarchy. However if you are looking for all out power go with Sunfire.

Are the Se-100 Delux monoblocks? That is what I found when I searched the website......

Back