Quality vs. Content

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
OK, so I don't want to alienate anybody BUT...

This morning I was listening to some of the music I'd picked up at RMAF. One of the LP's I'd picked up was Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter". I like Jennifer Warnes. Last year I bought the anniversary reissue of "Famous Blue Raincoat" which I really enjoy both for it's sonics as well as the content. Leonard Cohen is an amazing composer and Ms. Warnes interpretations on this very well done re-issue makes it very well worth the cost of admission.

So, this year I picked up "The Hunter" sound unheard, based upon the fact that it's an audiophile favorite (that holy grail where we hope we get the very best sound as well as something remotely redeeming as far as music). It's a decent enough album considering it's 18 years old. A great recording to be sure, lots of cool folks on it (Eric Johnson on guitar, Donald Fagen and Arnold McCullen on backing vocals plus others), but the music...

I was excited at first, and to be fair I haven't listened to side two yet. But, two of my favorite songs are on the album - Todd Rundgren's "Pretending to Care" and The Waterboy's "The Whole of the Moon". So I waited with baited breath (what is that anyway?), for "Pretending to Care" to come on. And...... I was completely uninspired. Major let down. My audio wood went completely flacid. Again, very well recorded, but, man.. Why oh why didn't she do it along the lines of Todd's arrangement? Where were the goosebumps? I ran downstairs and found my copy of Todd's "Accapella" LP. This is typical mid-80's Warner Brothers/Bearsville vinyl and as much as I love him I wish didn't use so damn much compression on his recordings, but Hey Zeus!!! THIS is what the music is all about. I was literally moved to tears. If you don't have Todd Rundgren's "Accapella" GO GET IT. For that matter, if you don't have any Todd Rundgren - GO GET SOME! I recommend "Runt", "Faithfull" the awesome "Something/Anything" and "The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect".

So, now that I've got that off my chest - what do you guys think. When you buy music do you go for content or sonics?

As for me, I'm feeling a long Todd Rundgren session coming on...

Last edited:
I can't really agree here. You simply prefer TRs version of the song, a version I am not familiar with. Interestingly I listened to The Hunter this morning and was quite moved by it. That said I prefer Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower to Bob Dylan's while others prefer the Dylan version, suum cuique.

To answer your question, music is typically purchased for content but sometimes for sonics, the show off piece, so to speak. I'd say 99% of my music was bought because I like it and the remainder for sonic spectacular qualities. The funny thing is almost none of the sonic spectacular is used to evaluate anything, just to show the system off so it rarely gets played.

Last edited:
Tim, I'm going to have to pull out my copy of 'The Hunter' and report back, it's been too long since I last listened. Part of me does understand what Risabet was getting at, you know 'artist's interpratation' kind of thing, like for me as an example I prefer Amanda McBroom's rendition of 'The Rose' (afterall she did write the song) over Bet Midler's.

To answer you content vs sonics..........I think for the most part it's a 'mood thing' but it safe to say that my favorite pieces represent BOTH !

Tim, I'm going to have to pull out my copy of 'The Hunter' and report back, it's been too long since I last listened. Part of me does understand what Risabet was getting at, you know 'artist's interpratation' kind of thing, like for me as an example I prefer Amanda McBroom's rendition of 'The Rose' (afterall she did write the song) over Bette Midler's.

To answer you content vs sonics..........I think for the most part it's a 'mood thing' but it safe to say that my favorite pieces represent BOTH !

I prefer Amanda's Rose also. Luckily it happens to be on a pair of wonderful recordings, Sheffield Lab 13 Growing Up In Hollywood Town and Dreaming on Gecko RE2.

I know what you mean. I prefer BOTH sonics and music and I'm damn straight annoyed when I can't have both. There is no reason for it.

Anyway, give it a go - when you have an arrangement you like and you are expecting something similar it can sometimes shock you. It doesn't make Jennifer's arrangement any less. Well, not necessarily anyway. You may find that if you have never heard Todd's arrangement then you may have liked Jennifer's. Who knows.

Tim,

FWIW, this is one of my reference CD's. Original release and now the Cisco remaster.

"Rock You Gently", "Lights of Lousianne", "Way Down Deep", and the title cut are quite good.

Sorry you are disappointed.

Oh yes. To your question. In the past, I was willing to go with either. Now, I've become very picky and will generally not buy something that doesn't have both.

GG

Last edited:
To answer your question, music is typically purchased for content but sometimes for sonics, the show off piece, so to speak. I'd say 99% of my music was bought because I like it and the remainder for sonic spectacular qualities. The funny thing is almost none of the sonic spectacular is used to evaluate anything, just to show the system off so it rarely gets played.
Same here.

Same here. I too thought the interpretation of The Whole of the Moon was a little disappointing, but on the other hand I love Way Down Deep.

Tim,

FWIW, this is one of my reference CD's. Original release and now the Cisco remaster.

"Rock You Gently", "Lights of Lousianne", "Way Down Deep", and the title cut are quite good.

Sorry you are disappointed.

Oh yes. To your question. In the past, I was willing to go with either. Now, I've become very picky and will generally not buy something that doesn't have both.

GG
Ha! Those are my favorite songs on the album, also. "Way Down Deep" is awesome for showing off the system, too.

OK, so I don't want to alienate anybody BUT...

So, now that I've got that off my chest - what do you guys think. When you buy music do you go for content or sonics?

As for me, I'm feeling a long Todd Rundgren session coming on...

Tim, I buy for the music. If the sonics are great, that's a bonus that I truly appreciate. Also, if I really like the music, I will buy newer releases for better sound, as I think, a lot of us do.

Well, I listened to the second side of "The Hunter" this morning and I'm feeling better about the album overall. I do like "Way Down Deep" a lot, the whole second side really. I'm sure side one will grow on me eventually.

Risabet, you're probably right, I do prefer Todd's version of "Pretending to Care" much more, but it is what I heard first. Same with "Whole of the Moon". On the other hand I also (as most here so far) prefer Amanda McBroom's version of "The Rose" off of Growing up in Hollywood Town quite a bit more than Bette Midlers. I also like The Sunday's version of "Wild Horses" better than the Stones and Derick and the Dominoe's version of "Little Wing" better than Hendrix, etc., etc., etc.; so I think it's really all about connection.

I suspected that most if not all of the music lovers would say content of quality - and you all haven't disappointed me. Great sonics are just the icing on the cake.

I find that I often buy for the audio quality or features (High rez multichannel), and more often than not, really enjoy the music.
I guess the artists who really care about going the extra mile to do multichannel,also do a reasonable job on composition as well.

But bad music, even on the best quality medium, is still something that will engage the 'Stop' button rather quickly. Life is too short ...

Back