Purity VS Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikroski

Reaction score
I listen to Vantage for demonstration twice and very love it. Vantage is very good both in upper and lower sound because of its internal amplifier.

Any how I also interesting in Purity which has built-in amplifier as well. Unfortunately There is no demo for me to audit. So I have to ask you here for any input.

In Thailand Vantage price is 6900$ while Purity is 4250$. My dedicate music room is 9 x 15 feet. Does Purity suitable for room size or Vantage worth the extra money.

Thank you very much
Pal

I listen to Vantage for demonstration twice and very love it. Vantage is very good both in upper and lower sound because of its internal amplifier.

Any how I also interesting in Purity which has built-in amplifier as well. Unfortunately There is no demo for me to audit. So I have to ask you here for any input.

In Thailand Vantage price is 6900$ while Purity is 4250$. My dedicate music room is 9 x 15 feet. Does Purity suitable for room size or Vantage worth the extra money.

Thank you very much
Pal

The Purity will do fine in the room size that you have.

A few differences between the two speakers.
1.) the amplifier in the Purity powers both the ESL panel and the woofer (bass module). the amplifier in the Vantage powers only the woofer. You still need an amp for the Vantage's ESL panel.

2.) the ESL panel and woofer are both much larger in the Vantage.

If you already have a high quality power amplifier and the difference in price is already in the bank, I would go with the Vantage as the sound quality is much better.

If you do not have a good amplifier and the budget is tight. (these are not good economic times anywhere in the world, do not overspend/over extend your credit in late 2008 early 2009) Then the Purities will be fine speakers, you can always sell them, or use them for rear speakers in a multi-channel setup when the economy is better and you upgrade to CLXs:D

--burke

Burke, thanks for your superb input.

After looking around for Purity information, I think I should stick to Vantage. It's more flexible for my upgrade in the future.

now I consider for

BAT VK300 or NAD M3 or Carry SLI 80 or AUDIO RESEARCH VSI-55

Difficult to make decision :confused:

I use a pair of Clarities in a 10X20 room. Basicly the same size as a Purity. The only thing lacking is bass, actually upper/ mid bass, when I use a sub. Purity should have that covered. If you find the sound stage doesn't reach high enough..just tilt them up w spikes. I put mine on slate slabs also. If they are like the Clarity they are optimized with the right pre/amp. These small hybrids are great speakers for 35-60w vintage tube amps, in a smaller listening area. Anything larger is just overkill in such an area, like putting too big a fish in a small tank...it can barely swim in it. The Purity has what 93 spl ? That can be a good thing. Clarity is 89 and still fairly easy to drive. It's all about the combo, and the room is part of that combo. With tweaks and mods you can dial it in. These speakers are amp/pre sensitive! I get really big air and sound stage with one in particular. A buddy came in and said he really liked the sound from the center channel Logos..only thing was..it was not hooked up or turned on, he was hearing the sound stage! Now, if I didn't have a vintage tube collection, and I had a larger room, yes..I would go for a larger set of ML's, then, all the varaibles change.

After looking around for Purity information, I think I should stick to Vantage. It's more flexible for my upgrade in the future.

Since sound quality seems to be the driving factor. The Vantage will definately sound better and be much more flexible in the future as your system grows. Might I also suggest a pair of used Summits. Another step up in sound and now that they are discontinued pending the "Summit-X" they can be had for not much more that the retail price of the Vantage.

now I consider for BAT VK300 or NAD M3 or Carry SLI 80 or AUDIO RESEARCH VSI-55 Difficult to make decision :confused:

Yes, difficult indeed. These are all excellent integrated amplifiers. I have no personal experience with and of them and as such will not comment. But from a purely flexibility in upgrade path, I would go with separate preamp and amplifier. A combination that is popular is a tube preamp and a solid state amp. David Matz and I are found of his BAT VK-52SE feeding my Sanders monoblocks driving Summits.

If you already have a high quality power amplifier and the difference in price is already in the bank, I would go with the Vantage as the sound quality is much better.

--burke

have you listen both of them?
a lot of people in this forum are talking about puritys without having listen them. they base their opinion in the puritys prise and internal amp. A friend of mine has summits. he had puritys in his system for many days. after his suggestion I bought puritys.
to the op: GO LISTEN ML purity IF YOU CAN,PLEASE
Nikos

Last edited:
Let's see; 6900-4250=2650. Gee, could get an awful nice DAC and stuff, with the difference. Like Nikos is saying, people make judgements without actually listening to them, nor do they have a 9X15 room.

Last edited:

Yep, Purity is a great little speaker, is it in the same league as the Vantage...No. The simplistic reasoning is one which you can use to compare Vantage to Spire...ESL panel size (amount of "radiating sq inches").

Will the Purity's sound great in a small room, you bet, but as with the Summitt / Spire vs. Vantage as room dimensions increase they begin to 'shine', as will the Vantage over the Purity.

Last edited:

Will the Purity's sound great in a small room, you bet, but as with the Summitt / Spire vs. Vantage as room demensions increase they begin 'shine', as will the Vantage over the Purity.

I think that puts things in a proper perspective.

Purity has new cls2 panel with MicroPerf stators

copy from ml site:
"MartinLogan's MicroPerf design optimizes this tradeoff by reducing the size of the individual holes and using many more of them than in a traditional electrostatic panel. MicroPerf almost doubles effective diaphragm radiating area without compromising structural integrity. The resulting increase in output capability and efficiency allows a panel to be made much smaller without sacrificing performance – or to enjoy a substantial leap in bandwidth and dynamics without growing larger."

anyway I have to say that your opinion is more important than ML ads, taking into consideration that you did AB listen of both speakers.

Nikos

a lot of people in this forum are talking about puritys without having listen them. they base their opinion in the puritys prise and internal amp. A friend of mine has summits. he had puritys in his system for many days. after his suggestion I bought puritys.
to the op: GO LISTEN ML purity IF YOU CAN,PLEASE
Nikos

Yes, I have listened to them both. I auditioned the Purities for a couple of hours at ML last summer. I have also owned the Vistas (same panels as the Vantage) and Summits.

Also I have a 10 x 14 listening room.

I will stand by my comments above, the Purity is a fine speaker, for the price it is a great speaker, especially in a small room. But if absolute sound quality not cost is the objective then the Vantage is winner.

For just outright best bang for the dollar(or euro) I think the Source is the ML speaker to buy. especially if you already have an amplifier.

yes the Purity has the new micro-perf panels, but so do all current ML speakers, including the Vantage, Spire and Summits.

Sources for small room?

Hi. I have a small square room 11'x11'.. with Aerius i's now. Would you consider the Sources to be an upgrade? Thanks. -Bob.

Will the Purity's sound great in a small room, you bet, but as with the Summitt / Spire vs. Vantage as room dimensions increase they begin to 'shine', as will the Vantage over the Purity.
That is my another concern, my room is only 9x15. Any how, I would like to take risk with Vantage ;)

That is my another concern, my room is only 9x15. Any how, I would like to take risk with Vantage ;)

FWIW, I did not mean 'shine' as in overly bright, but as an expression of higher acheivment, better performance, etc.

sorry if I confused !

FWIW, I did not mean 'shine' as in overly bright, but as an expression of higher acheivment, better performance, etc.

sorry if I confused !
Sorry to make you confuse. My concern is whether Vantage is too big for my room or not. I demo it in 12 x 18 room and it is very impressive. Anyhow let see what it can do in smaller room :p

Let me tell you my story: Once upon a time I had this great idea, I was going to get my Ma a great center channel to set atop her amore. I got her a new Sony LCD that fit inside it, but she didn't wouldn't have anything more than a center channel and sub behind it. So, I saw a Logos in CL. When I got there he also had a pr of Clarities. We made a deal and picked up a pretty nice Yam A/V for cheap, too. I go over to my Ma's, have her come out and I pop the trunk open..she damn near shreeked! Ooooh, I thought, yeah ah, too big, huh?......... Ever see a Logos? It's sorta INDUSTRIAL sized. It reminds of an Cadilac Escalade grill. 62lbs. Fortunately it has same 89spl as Clarity. The 3 channels did put out an impressive sound stage in his wide room. I am a little hesitant to mount it high on a wall..it sits on top of a chrome rack w LCD below it..its wider than the 32" TV. To me it didn't make a lot of sense to getter a bigger TV..in that space and bigger 'stats would use up more space. Guys are drawn to that Logos, though..they want to know what it can do! When I get the 3 channel Fisher tube back, I'll use the A/V to preamp for movies. Really don't need the Logos for music, though..not in my 10X20 room. I'm just saying; we guys are prone to overkill..sometimes smaller has the practical advantage. At least the Logos uses the same footprint as TV stand.

Back