Purity or Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinePoint

Reaction score
I am a long time ML user (Aerius i) and am updating these to either Source or Purity. My 2 channel room is 13 x 14 and carpeted.

I think I understand the differences between these speakers...
Source: (1) 8" paper cone, unpowered.
Purity: (2) 6.5" alum cones, powered by 200 watt ICE amp (each?).

My question: Has anyone been able to listen to these side by side? What are the perceived differences? Bass output, bass definition differences due to the two different woofer designs.

I attempted this at two Magnolia's and one Independant....none had both...!

With the Purity, I believe I have it straight that you can feed it from the pre-outs from another Integrated or pre....right?
The ESL's are the same..Gen 2...correct? Any other observations or opinions would be appreciated.

I am a long time ML user (Aerius i) and am updating these to either Source or Purity. My 2 channel room is 13 x 14 and carpeted.

I think I understand the differences between these speakers...
Source: (1) 8" paper cone, unpowered.
Purity: (2) 6.5" alum cones, powered by 200 watt ICE amp (each?).

My question: Has anyone been able to listen to these side by side? What are the perceived differences? Bass output, bass definition differences due to the two different woofer designs.

I attempted this at two Magnolia's and one Independant....none had both...!

With the Purity, I believe I have it straight that you can feed it from the pre-outs from another Integrated or pre....right?
The ESL's are the same..Gen 2...correct? Any other observations or opinions would be appreciated.

Hola. They are complete different. One is most of IPOD or computer music, where you do not use or need an amplifier. Both Purity come with an internal power amplifier, you just plug your RCA connector to them from your Ipod or your computer, and voila, you have ML sound. The Source model needs an external amplifier. The good thing is that it is very sensitive, in other words, you can listen at moderate levels, but enough for having a guitar or a piano in front of you, with the beloved sound of ML. They are very easy to drive. with 50 Watts/channel you are safe. Of course you can use bigger power amps with no problem. They are rated 200W/ch. Please tell us more regarding your electronics, happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks for the reply Roberto. My system is #100....and I recently updated it.....which with my upgrading the Aerius i will require another revision...:ROFL:

I guess the question boils down to...if I use comparable amplifier power, say a Wyred for sound monos into the Sources.....how would the sonic profiles differ. On the one hand, I like the Sources in that your not limiting your amp options....on the other hand, the Purity seems to have the more robust speaker design..((2) 6.5" vs (1) 8" paper...

I also have a small powered SW that takes care of the sub 40hz stuff.

Thanks for the reply Roberto. My system is #100....and I recently updated it.....which with my upgrading the Aerius i will require another revision...:ROFL:

I guess the question boils down to...if I use comparable amplifier power, say a Wyred for sound monos into the Sources.....how would the sonic profiles differ. On the one hand, I like the Sources in that your not limiting your amp options....on the other hand, the Purity seems to have the more robust speaker design..((2) 6.5" vs (1) 8" paper...

I also have a small powered SW that takes care of the sub 40hz stuff.

I think that all depends on your liking. What I like perhaps you do not. ML sound is different than ordinary speakers and you know that. Being Aerius user, I vote for the Sources. They are incredible with the right amplification and they have tons of right musical information to my ears. You will not be disappointed. They are great for jazz and vocals. They shine with females singing. In classical music, I like them with piano, cello, guitar and some music with winds, specially with wood winds. The clarinet shines very nice. Listen Mozart, clarinet concert in A major. ...¨The Concerto uses the entire standard range of the instrument, from low C (basset clarinet) to high G. Timbral differences of the clarinet's various registers are beautifully employed to vary mood and affect..¨. On the other hand, the stratocaster guitar by Fender, played by David Gilmore at ¨The other side of the moon¨ Pink Floyd, is so there...the air between the instruments, the cymbals at Quality of Silence by Steve Davis is breath taking...perhaps you might like them too... happy listening,
Roberto.

revelation..

OK...after trolling tthe web sites...I picked up the following on TAS....
"You drive the Purity either by means of the speaker terminals (in which case the amplifier drives the bass unit alone)"....this i relevant to me because I believe (in my case) that driving the panels with a tube and letting the built-in ICE amps drive :music:the in-house woofers is a best case scenario...(pardon the pun...great little speaker in it's day...)

I will provide an update after the Purity's have had a sufficient audition period here....

"You drive the Purity either by means of the speaker terminals (in which case the amplifier drives the bass unit alone)"....this i relevant to me because I believe (in my case) that driving the panels with a tube and letting the built-in ICE amps drive :music:the in-house woofers is a best case scenario...(pardon the pun...great little speaker in it's day...)

I will provide an update after the Purity's have had a sufficient audition period here....

You should do some more research on that to be sure because my understanding is that the internal amp drives it all no matter what. You're just offered two input methods, line or speaker level, for greater flexibility.

I have not heard the purity, but my opinions of the Source were that it was very similar to the Aerius.

the purity's sound more full, more wide and better at louder volumes. you can crank them up and they just sing away. they sound open and smooth. the sources sound good but you have to match them with a good amp and not a descent receiver. the purity's you just have to plug them into a good source or a receiver with pre-outs and use it as a processor.

Hola... you can´t bypass the Purity´s amplifier. It is design to work only with its internal power amplifer. If you read specifications, the input impedance...you will find it around 2000 ohms. In other words, does not load the amplfier. The amplifier wll not see it. You need not more than 16 ohms to load an amplifier. 1000 ohms will not load any amplifier and you have 2000 ohms at the Purity´s binding post, not 4 ohms or 8 ohms. There is no way to separate the panels from the built in amplfier. Of course you can use the output of your solid state power amp with no problem, your amplifier only will feed the signal output through the binding post as input signal for the built amplifier, but no power, just signal. Happy listening...
Roberto.

Purity vs Source

I just went thru an extensive search this past Fall that compared ML Purity vs Source and also Bower Wilkins (B&W) selection. I started out wanting to upgrade to HDMI and Blu Ray for my upstairs 55 Plasma viewing and listening area. I ended up listening to both Source and Purity and with the right external power you are not going to be disappointed with the Source. However the Purity are extremely accurate sound with full range and optimized with the amp internally that drives all sound. I ran line inputs from the new Pioneer 27 receiver to them and then used the amp to run the rest of the 5 ch center and rear surrounds. Result is WOW. I had a long time pair of Definitive Tech BP20 (big ones) and I always like them but this is a different league better detail. Also can tell you that the Pioneer 27 is also a step above the older Yamaha 800 series receiver I had for video / audio processing. I have now removed my pre amp ADCOM 200 watt unit that I had driving the BP20s before. Great sounds but the ML configuration is perfection. BTW I have not added a Sub Woofer in that the low range of the MLs don't need it in my room of about 22 L x 15 W with 14 H ceiling. You cannot go wrong on this decision but the Puritys are more expensive but worth it if you can take advantage of keeping your existing receiver/amp. Also need to confirm you can support Line Out R/L connections from your gear if you want to control all functions from your receiver. You should definitely try them in your listening room at home first....happy listening:music::music:

update...

OK....just got off the phone with ML....and the comment as stated in the TAS article is incorrect.....and those of you who stated that the Purity is 100% driven by the internal amps are 100% correct! The opinion of the person I spoke to said he prefers the Purity due to the dual woofer.....better integration with the panel and bass is more firm.....but that the Source is still the way to go if you like to have flexibility with your power. He also suggested that the upcoming Electromotion model to be released in March will eventually take over the Source's position.....and that it will sound substantially better. Thanks form your replies.....what a great web site!!:rocker: More Cowbell!

Last edited:
OK....just got off the phone with ML....and the comment as stated in the TAS article is incorrect.....and those of you who stated that the Purity is 100% driven by the internal amps are 100% correct! The opinion of the person I spoke to said he prefers the Purity due to the dual woofer.....better integration with the panel and bass is more firm.....but that the Source is still the way to go if you like to have flexibility with your power. He also suggested that the upcoming Electromotion model to be released in March will eventually take over the Source's position.....and that it will sound substantially better. Thanks form your replies.....what a great web site!!:rocker: More Cowbell!
That it is the way to go...happy listening, regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Hi buddy

I have the martin logan source and right now you can have a pair shipped to your door for$1350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats so cheap

I own the Source se because I hate the cheapo looking fake wood effect of source and opted for the more classy looking wood finish of the source se

I too am very interested in the Electromotion but the thing that bothers me is that they have folded motion tweeters and none of the current electrostat center channels do not .

How would Electromotion integrate into many users systems?

If however they blend well for the front soundstage with my matinee center channel you bet I will be shipping them source to the back of the room for surround duty. If they dont blend then I will buy vista on the used market for around $1600 -$1800

I suspect that the Electromotion wont be able to hold a candle to the vista despite have the same size of esl panel

Hi buddy

I have the martin logan source and right now you can have a pair shipped to your door for$1350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats so cheap

I own the Source se because I hate the cheapo looking fake wood effect of source and opted for the more classy looking wood finish of the source se

I too am very interested in the Electromotion but the thing that bothers me is that they have folded motion tweeters and none of the current electrostat center channels do not .

How would Electromotion integrate into many users systems?

If however they blend well for the front soundstage with my matinee center channel you bet I will be shipping them source to the back of the room for surround duty. If they dont blend then I will buy vista on the used market for around $1600 -$1800

I suspect that the Electromotion wont be able to hold a candle to the vista despite have the same size of esl panel

Hola fyi, the electromotion will not have any tweeters...here are the specs:

frequency response= 42-22k +-3dBs
sensitivity= 91dB/2.83V/meter
impedance= 6 ohms/1.6@20KHz. Compatilbe with 4,6,8 ohms rated amplifier
crossover point= 500Hz
high/mid frequency driver= 34"X8.6"(71.1X21.8cm) CLS XTat electrostatic
woofer= 8" paper cone
Recomended amplifer power= 20-300 Watts per channel
weight= 35.5 lbs
Dimensions= 52.1"X9"X16.3" (HXWXD)

They will be available and the end of March, I think... I did like them better than the Sources...

Happy listening,
Roberto.

Well the electromotion only has a 6 inch bigger pannel than the source so it wont be that great also the vista has a 40 inch panel.

Alot of people told me it was going to have the same size of panel as the vista and its 6 inch smaller.

With paper cones and it probably wont have good built quality like vista or the internals will be cheaper

Roberto, have you heard the Electromotion ESL's? If so, how did they sound?

Jason

Their sound is very close to the Vistas, in my opinion, and the price is going to be below $ 2000.00 pair. I wonder why they just won an award at the CES. Do not worry about paper cone woofer. They are great and a super value for what you get and what did you pay for... an oustanding archievement by ML on these days!!!. They will be available soon, and just trust your ears and listen to a wonderful speaker... it is not an entry level to my ears, it will challenge speakers over twice their price...happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back