Pulled the trigger on Summits but... what finish ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David100

Reaction score
Hello,
I had posted some questions here about choosing for Vantage or Summit...
After reading the pros and cons it was still difficult to decide.

The final decision went to... Summits... It actually took me several month to decide but when I read about January price increases on this forum It was like a push in the back and it helped to jump in the water from this high bridge. I sent my order payment a few hours before Christmas eve.

I know I may not be able to make a huge difference between this two outstanding speakers, but the main reason is I was worried about getting out the train at the last stop before heaven. So I thought : go for Summits. I received advices of Vantage + Sub, but then the price gap is become smaller and I could experience problems of sub integration, + Summits have wider pannels, and many of you told me the summits have beter imaging and this is also important to me. I like total immersion. Last thing is I think I will keep the speakers for at least 10 years and I will probably forget the pain of the price after 1... Actually I already forgot it right now and the pain is now that I have to wait a few months before getting... MY SUMMITS.

I hope a made a good decision and I Thank you all for your help.

Well... mmmhhh... now I kindly request your help again... I still have a few days to confirm the wood finish. At this time I choose for Black frame and Dark Cherry Cabinet because I like this warm color and... I like this picture of the guy enjoying his red wine while listening to his dark cherry summits on the ML website (it is dark cherry, isn't it ?)... that's me after a hectic day at work. But actually, I am still not sure about that choice.

I am also thinking about Natural Cherry, Black Ash or Wenge.

The problem is ML pictures on the website are so small. I looked for some pics on this forum and found some pics of other finishes. I saw no pics at all of Natural Cherry or Black Ash, and only a few of Dark Cherry or Wenge... but too dark or too close or too far.

So my question : Would some of you having those colors please post some good quality pics. I know this kind of question pops out quite often, but there still aren't so many good pics. This would help me, but, I think, would also help a lot of other guys. Furthermore, what do you think of Dark Cherry (besides honorable Dr Joey who, I already found out browsing the forum, does not like it that much ;) )

Thank you very much

David

Last edited:
I would go for Dark Cherry as it is closest to what I would really like - Rosewood, but unfortunately it is not one of the options. At a dealer I saw a pair of Vantages in Dark Cherry, and they looked good. From the ML custom shop I think Natural Cherry looks jaundiced. Black Ash is not bad.

I also have the dark cherry, with black rails. And I love them. My choice at the time I purchased them was between the black ash and dark cherry (the two finishes with no upcharge at tweeter). My reasoning was that the finish did not contribute to the sound and I did not have to match any furniture in the room. See picture #2 in my members page. I have redecorated since then and am glad I picked the cherry.

All that being said the wenge and bubinga are stunning for darker colors.

ps. I routinely enjoy a red wine while listening to my dark cherry Summits, they complement each other beautifully.

Attachments

• IMG_2003-01.jpg
    IMG_2003-01.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 272
I LOVE the Bubinga colored wood with the Clear Anodized Aluminum. Very contemporary, but S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G (but what Summit's aren't).

You should be able to see a really good virtual interpretation of every finish with High detail with MartinLogan's new Summit Configurator. I saw it debut at CEDIA and couldn't wait for it's official launch a couple months back.

http://configurator.martinlogan.com/

I know I'm new, but hopefully I can still help out!

If you are design conscious, black or maple are best. The other veneers may be more difficult to integrate into the color scheme of your home.

Hey Hey!!!

CONGRATS ON THE SUMMITS!!

I remember I was stuck in the dilemma... Vantage + Sub or Summits....

Anyway, here's a few color options for you:
1. I forgot what this was called...
DSC01540.jpg

2. Some more pics...
DSC01477.jpg

3. Natural Cherry of course...
DSC01516.jpg

4. Hard rock?
DSC01475.jpg

(continued...)

5. Silver bird's eye..
DSC01450.jpg

6. All the available finishes..
DSC01447.jpg

7. Though you know I'm partial to my veneer the most.... natural cherry is contemporary, yet classic.
DSC00352.jpg

Have fun choosing.. it took me a while also.

Joey :)

My 2 cents...

If it were me, I'd plan on keeping them for many years, therefore I'd go with Black Ash and black frames. That way, it'll go with any decor and never get that dated look years down the road.

Thank you very much for your pictures and your advices.
They all are very interesting even if it remains a really difficult choice

For example on Joey's pics, picture 3 and 7 are both natural cherry but look so differently, because of the lighting I guess (I like 7 a lot, but not 3 wich is so yellow).

I think it should be a brilliant idea if ML made a big high quality picture of the wall of samples Joey posted (pic 6 of Joey) and posted it on the official web site.

I hope more pics will continue to come... thanks again for your kind collaboration. :bowdown:

Dats true Tom , But that red frame and Black cabinet is sweet. It also looks like they did red spars !

For example on Joey's pics, picture 3 and 7 are both natural cherry but look so differently, because of the lighting I guess (I like 7 a lot, but not 3 wich is so yellow).

Well.... shucks... my Nat Cherry Summits are special... they have a more curly/wavy character to them. You know what? You can call ML corporate, talk to one of the CS guys and they can usually help you out. You can send them a pic of the veneer you kinda like (mine for example) and point out to them that you want that "type" of veneer....

They will help you out and pick out the veneer you like and even take pics of the process for you.

Joey

Dats true Tom , But that red frame and Black cabinet is sweet. It also looks like they did red spars !
When I finally (will that day EVER come?) order Summits, they will have blue airframes and (if I can get ML to do a custom job) Rosewood cabinets (or black ash, failing that).

If you don't like the yellowish look, don't get the natural cherry. My clarities are natural cherry and have that yellowish tone in the light. The dark cherry has a much warmer tone.

Take a walk on the Wild Side.
Black Leather and Chrome:drool:
Will never go out of style!

Attachments

• leather.JPG
    leather.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 186
Dunno about you David, but this was a stunner for me when I saw it in person...
DSC01540.jpg

That was pic 1 from the other page.. just wanted to show you again. It was truly a nice veneer, if I did it again - that's probably the one I'd go for.

I'll see if I can scrounge up a Wenge pic for ya from my files.

Joey

Latest posts

Back