PS3 Audio?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychoacoustic

Reaction score
The PS3 appears to have favorable reviews for video and processing power.

Does it have any merit/advantages as an audio player?

It appears to be digital out-DAC capable, Multiple Stream options with Music Library/album cover graphics and networkable?

The list appears impressive but has anyone trialed these as working solutions?

** Of course, it would play a wicked version of Rock Band via the Summits as well

The PS3 appears to have favorable reviews for video and processing power.

Does it have any merit/advantages as an audio player?

It appears to be digital out-DAC capable, Multiple Stream options with Music Library/album cover graphics and networkable?

The list appears impressive but has anyone trialed these as working solutions?

** Of course, it would play a wicked version of Rock Band via the Summits as well
Hey Psychoacoustic,
Im using my PS3 as my media player, I have an external hardrive with all my mp3 and videos. I get 176htz from my SACDz I have no complaints. Im letting my receiver decode all. The PS3 is set to Bitmap.

My system: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7177

Last edited:
As was recently pointed out in another thread, the PS3 has no analog audio output. It makes a perfectly fine (not fantastic, but good) audio device with HDMI or Optical audio, but you'll need a receiver to decode and process the signal. (Alternatively, other devices, including your TV, can perform this task but it's best to do it with a something like a high quality receiver).

As was recently pointed out in another thread, the PS3 has no analog audio output. It makes a perfectly fine (not fantastic, but good) audio device with HDMI or Optical audio, but you'll need a receiver to decode and process the signal. (Alternatively, other devices, including your TV, can perform this task but it's best to do it with a something like a high quality receiver).
The PS3 has 2.0 analogue out and decodes both TrueHD and DTS HD MA, so the AVR need not decode those codecs, but will need an HDMI input to get multi-channel lossless.

I think the ps3 could be better

I think the ps3 could sound a lot better. I think its fine for general purpose but
for real listening you shoud get a stand alone cd or sacd player

Back