Problems with the right Vantage!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I was swapping some equipment last night, and forgot to turn off my amp when switching cables. I though I just blew a couple of fuses. However, when I replaced them this morning, my right speaker is playing much softer than my left one (twice the volume by my crude calcs). It also seems less clear and veiled; the bass is boomy.

Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Try swapping left and right speaker cables and see if the problem follows. I suspect the problem lies in you amp.

Try swapping left and right speaker cables and see if the problem follows. I suspect the problem lies in you amp.

Thanks,

I swapped all of the speaker cables and interconnects up the chain, and the problem seems to be in the speaker.

Hello David,

May be the fuse to the high voltage or crossover section of the speaker. I think ML will cover it under the warranty.

I swapped all of the speaker cables and interconnects up the chain, and the problem seems to be in the speaker.

Gulp ....... me thinks something on board / cross-over / internal electronics has gone south. Time to contact M/L.

Hopefully Cherian 's suggeation is true !

Thanks guys!

Of course it has to happen over a weekend, especially the one I'm auditioning the act 2.

ML thinks I took out the power supply board. The will be sending a new one.

Has anyone ever put one in? How difficult is it?

Thanks!

I've replaced the power supply on a couple of Summits but not the Vantage. However, it should be a very similar process. In fact it appears to be a little easier on the Vantage by looking at the see-through model. It looks like you'll need to remove the control plate assembly on the rear of the cabinet first to access the power supply board. The board may be attached to the rear panel. Take a look on the ML website on the Vantage. There is a photo that shows the components inside the Vantage cabinet.
http://www.us.martinlogan.com/gallery/vantage

ML will send you step by step instructions with photos that guide you through the process and you can call ML Service if you come across any questions. Before disconnecting any wires be sure to mark which color wire was connected to which post so you don't crisscross any wires. It's a good idea to take photos before and during the process. Here is the link to the Power Supply R&R for the Summit to give you an idea of what is involved. http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

Do someone a favor in the future and post the process with photos on the DIY section.

ML speakers are designed very well when it comes to repairs. Just about any problem is fixable by swapping out the defective component. And as you've found their customer service is pleasantly responsive.

Last edited:
I've replaced the power supply on a couple of Summits but not the Vantage. However, it should be a very similar process. In fact it appears to be a little easier on the Vantage by looking at the see-through model. It looks like you'll need to remove the control plate assembly on the rear of the cabinet first to access the power supply board. The board may be attached to the rear panel. Take a look on the ML website on the Vantage. There is a photo that shows the components inside the Vantage cabinet.
http://www.us.martinlogan.com/gallery/vantage

ML will send you step by step instructions with photos that guide you through the process and you can call ML Service if you come across any questions. Before disconnecting any wires be sure to mark which color wire was connected to which post so you don't crisscross any wires. It's a good idea to take photos before and during the process. Here is the link to the Power Supply R&R for the Summit to give you an idea of what is involved. http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

Do someone a favor in the future and post the process with photos on the DIY section.

ML speakers are designed very well when it comes to repairs. Just about any problem is fixable by swapping out the defective component. And as you've found their customer service is pleasantly responsive.

Thanks, Craig. I will do my best to document the process. As you mention, Melodie from ML sent me a step by step pdf, and the part will arrive before the end of the week. The customer service has been excellent, as always.

Actually, if it's anything like the equivalent board in the Summit, it's no more difficult than changing out an audio card in your puter.... I'm sure we've all done that!

Dave,
I had to replace a power supply in one of my Summits as well.
As Craig stated just follow the step by step instructions and you'll have no problems.

I received the new power supply board and installed it last night. The instructions I got from Melody in ML Customer Service were extremely detailed; every step was illustrated. It is not necessary to add anything at all as the instructions are very thorough and idiot proof.

My only recommendation is to print out the pdf file in color before doing the work.

After missing my system for a few days, I stayed up jamming until 4 am.

Thanks again to all who replied to this post.

Best regards,
David

I received the new power supply board and installed it last night. The instructions I got from Melody in ML Customer Service were extremely detailed; every step was illustrated. It is not necessary to add anything at all as the instructions are very thorough and idiot proof.

My only recommendation is to print out the pdf file in color before doing the work.

After missing my system for a few days, I stayed up jamming until 4 am.

Thanks again to all who replied to this post.

Best regards,
David

Glad it all worked out. It sucks not having your tunes! :music:

Hey David, I just got finished reading the problem you had along with its solution. It's good to hear that it had a happy ending. BTW how did you like the ACT 2? Or did you not get to demo it due to your technical issues?

Glen

Hey David, I just got finished reading the problem you had along with its solution. It's good to hear that it had a happy ending. BTW how did you like the ACT 2? Or did you not get to demo it due to your technical issues?

Glen

Thanks, Glen. ML is really on top of the service game.

As for the Act 2, it really is amazing. My bat 51se is an excellent line stage, and no slouch, but act2 matches bat at its strengths of dynamics, soundstage size, and transparency, and adds much more realistic image size and the most heavenly sounding presentation. It has by far the best midrange I have heard, including better than the new Ayre kxr, the 8th wonder of the world. There are much more eloquent reviews of the act 2, if you are interested, but act 2 is the real deal. The act2 is mine now.

Anyone who claims that electrostats do not produce correctly sized images, or that they sound floaty or thin, should hear conrad johnson with martin logan, and act 2 in particular.

Thanks, Glen. ML is really on top of the service game.

As for the Act 2, it really is amazing. My bat 51se is an excellent line stage, and no slouch, but act2 matches bat at its strengths of dynamics, soundstage size, and transparency, and adds much more realistic image size and the most heavenly sounding presentation. It has by far the best midrange I have heard, including better than the new Ayre kxr, the 8th wonder of the world. There are much more eloquent reviews of the act 2, if you are interested, but act 2 is the real deal. The act2 is mine now.

Anyone who claims that electrostats do not produce correctly sized images, or that they sound floaty or thin, should hear conrad johnson with martin logan, and act 2 in particular.

Hola David...did you know that Conrad Johnson uses ML as a tool design for their goods? Also Lew has a pair of Odyssey in his own system...happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back