Prima Luna Monoblocks, NICE!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
As you know, I'm not the world's biggest tube with ML fan, but I've been listening to the PrimaLuna Dialog 7 monoblocks all day since they arrived this morning....

70watt monos with KT88's and you can switch between Ultralinear and Triode mode from a remote! How cool is that?

The good news is that these amps have a 2ohm tap, which is mating just perfectly with the CLX's. Of course they need some hours before we can make a critical evaluation, but so far quite good!

I've had my PrimaLuna ProLogue 1 for 5 years now, and it's never even burped, so these guys are the top of the heap as far as Chinese reliability goes.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=641

I'll keep you posted as they get more hours! All those KT88's keeping the studio nice and warm! Toasty on a cold Pacific Northwest night.

Good to hear, I know what you mean, my Rogue M-150's are doing a fine job as well ! It's a cold damp nite here in SE Pa

Attachments

• IMG_7975[1].JPG
    IMG_7975[1].JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 475
Dave, I would get some large spikes under those monoblocks, or put them on amp stands. A few years ago I got a nasty surprise when I treaded water right next to my amps - had a leak in the roof. Fortunately my amps were not sitting directly on the floor.

As you know, I'm not the world's biggest tube with ML fan, but I've been listening to the PrimaLuna Dialog 7 monoblocks all day since they arrived this morning....

70watt monos with KT88's and you can switch between Ultralinear and Triode mode from a remote! How cool is that?

The good news is that these amps have a 2ohm tap, which is mating just perfectly with the CLX's. Of course they need some hours before we can make a critical evaluation, but so far quite good!

I've had my PrimaLuna ProLogue 1 for 5 years now, and it's never even burped, so these guys are the top of the heap as far as Chinese reliability goes.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=641

I'll keep you posted as they get more hours! All those KT88's keeping the studio nice and warm! Toasty on a cold Pacific Northwest night.

Very Cool -- keep us informed!! I am really interested in these amps in comparison say - to a sunfire...... Totally different beasts - but, as you know I started a thread awhile ago when I heard the prologue 1 and thought the sound was very nice.... I have Odysseys... I can only assume that the CLX would be a more difficult load???

Looks like they are pretty close... sensitivity is the same - the odyssey dips to 1 ohm @ 20khz while the CLX dips to .7 ohm @ 20Khz... I am no expert...I would think the panels on the bass region of the CLX more difficult to drive than the woofer on the Odyssey... but again.... I don't know what I'm talking about!!!

These things just keep sounding better and better.

I have to say I am really impressed. Considering the past experience I've had with Prima Luna in terms of build quality and tube life, these are a winner for those of you that want to go tubes. And I haven't even begun to tube roll!

These things just keep sounding better and better.

I have to say I am really impressed. Considering the past experience I've had with Prima Luna in terms of build quality and tube life, these are a winner for those of you that want to go tubes. And I haven't even begun to tube roll!

Jeff - what Pre are you using with these? Do you know anything about the impedence matching between this pre and the amps? He didnt' send you any extra tubes did he?

No extra tubes, unfortunately, but I will probably roll some later on.

Trying to hunt down some really good KT88/6550's, but they are pretty spendy and I'd need 8 of them! Past experience with PL has shown they respond really well to the input tubes too.

Using it with my CJ Act2/series 2. So far so good. Have a few other things to try here in the course of the review... BAT VK32SE, Nagra PL-L and Red Wine Isabella along with a couple of CD players direct, the new MCintosh 500 and the Wadia 781. We'll see how they do just hooked up source direct!

Give E.A.T. a ring and see if they'll send you 8 for review. You won't believe it is the same amp one those stock KT88s take a walk for what is essentially the old Tesla Vrsovice...

What do you think the stock ones are? They are obviously re-branded... pretty sure I think I know what the native labelling actually is.

Back