Preface Placment Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people use the flashlight method to set the speaker up so that you are listening to the inner 1/3 of the speaker. Sit in your listening seat in the middle of your room. Have a helper to adjust the speaker toe in.

Put the flashlight centered on your head and look at the right speaker. You will see a distinct shinny line going vertical the whole length of the stator. Have your helper adjust the speaker until this line is a 1/3rd in from the inside of the speaker.

This flashlight method of finding toe in works great, sounds weird, but it works.

Cheers, Greg

That won't work with the preface.

No, it wont help at all. You have had these speakers a while now, I expected that trial and error would have been completed a long time ago.

Its all about the T&E. ;)

No, it wont help at all. You have had these speakers a while now, I expected that trial and error would have been completed a long time ago.

Its all about the T&E. ;)

I had to move the speakers for some workers to come through. It was tough finding the sweet spot again so I came back to this thread. I found that less toe in sounded better and created a larger soundstage. But it varies among sources which I would expect anyway. Trial and error is what its all about I guess.

Error...

I sorta miss the tweek period. Now I just listen.... time to change something!

I actually plan to wack a hole in my desk and recess my monitor about 10" for better unobstructed listening at the desk. My wife thinks I will ruin my desk.

Hope she is wrong.

TGIF

The new Audio Advisor catalog shows a set of Prefaces on the back cover. The speakers are toe'd in almost 45 degrees! They were probably seven feet apart and right against the wall with a credenza between... :eek:

What's up with that?

I still have no idea what 1/3 inner facing is so I am just going to toe them in slightly for now. I have them 8 ft apart and two feet from the front wall. I am sitting nine feet away or so.

No matter what I do the imaging changes from one source to another and there really is not much bass. I am using the Parasound P3 and A23 separates. I listen mainly to classical now so it could be much of my source material is bass shy. How does one tune these speakers for placement? I keep moving them and whats more they may be fine. I don't know how to tell...

I still have no idea what 1/3 inner facing is so I am just going to toe them in slightly for now. I have them 8 ft apart and two feet from the front wall. I am sitting nine feet away or so.

No matter what I do the imaging changes from one source to another and there really is not much bass. I am using the Parasound P3 and A23 separates. I listen mainly to classical now so it could be much of my source material is bass shy. How does one tune these speakers for placement? I keep moving them and whats more they may be fine. I don't know how to tell...

Pick a song that you know very well and move the speakers into position with trial and error using that song. Stage/image will change from one recording to another - they're all recorded differently. Set the speakers up to a good song that you know well.

Pick a song that you know very well and move the speakers into position with trial and error using that song. Stage/image will change from one recording to another - they're all recorded differently. Set the speakers up to a good song that you know well.

I will give it a try using a recording I know well. I hope the speakers don't let me down. The amp and pre are beautiful sounding. And the room is ideal. Different recordings have been playing with my head so I will find something I can use for a reference. It would be nice to find some confidence soon!
Thanks Hocky

Last edited:
Bass is tricky with any speaker or sub. I set up my Spires/subs with test discs and my trusty SPL meter and got the four pieces fairly well dialed in.

Test tones are one thing, music is another. Some of my recordings are just plain bass poor, some are just right and others are very emphasized to the the point of being overdone. Goldilocks and the three bears comes to mind!!

Gordon

Gordon

I have to say that these are some of the trickiest speakers to set up I have ever owned. Toe-in changes of one inch make worlds of difference in the imaging and distance out into the room really affects bass. But as you said it changes with every recording somewhat.

I'm still wondering if anyone saw the picture on AA of the Prefaces toed in about 45 degrees? I tried it and got right back up after I heard the sound...

Thanks for chiming in Gordon. Don't mean to beat an old horse here but I guess I am.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question on the Preface placement. When we say 2-3 ft from the front wall is that measured from the wall to the front of the speaker enclosure? The actual grill? Or is it to the back rear edge of the base of the speaker?

Man this may have been a major screwup when I placed these...

Hi Ron, mine are about 5 ft from the front wall. Last summer repositioned mine with the help of a local sound engineer Jon O'Leary and a Smart rig to flatten it out as close as possible. I am no more than 3db from flat in any peak or valley from 25-13k (with only 6db of fall off from 13-20k) in the mix position now, but it took a ton of effort and a Smart rig is not that easy to come across either....but if you can get your hands on one it will make things simple.

I need to update my photos in the system section. In the last few years I have A/B these simple speakers in this room against a ton of high end studio monitors and I still chose the Preface. The Twin B by Focal was a close second but just didnt have the bottom I need to keep the room flat, and buying a different sub is out of the question. I have had 1 Grammy winning engineer here from NOLA to mix who was just stunned at the sound of the studio, and more importantly how well the mixes from the room transferred to other systems. Don't under estimate these meek little over performers, the best stuff comes in the most unlikely packages.

Good luck!

Hi Jim,

I called ML and the 2-3 ft reference is from the front grill of the speaker to the wall behind. Since I was having some problems near field I moved my Prefaces toward the front wall almost ten inches. They are now 3.5ft from the wall. I'm further away now and the sound has expanded outward and up to the ceiling with vocals at center. Bass seems natural but everything changes with every program.

Looking at your setup, I have the exact same toe-in and sit about nine feet away. It's a long and narrow room maybe 25ft by 14ft I'm guessing. I sit along the long side as there is a fireplace. No options.

Anyway, your setup looks great! I agree, these are the speakers to have. I'm running Parasound separates - Halo P3 and A23. They work well.

Thanks for your reply!

Ron

Back