Preamp / Processor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paronaram

Reaction score
Hello All,
Thanks for creating such discussion forum.
I need an advice on preamp / processor.
Currently I have MartinLogan Arius i and Cinema connected to the Sunfire Cinema Grand, all this was working-sounding very nice up until recently, when my Sunfire Theater Grand II start making clicking sound, and sound quality noticeably decreasing.
Sunfire ask me to ship the unit to their repair depot, and it will coast me a lot of money to repair this preamp.
So I think this is a good time to upgrade ;)
Do you guys know what will match to this setup? Price range 2k-2.5k
I was suggested by various High-end Audio stores here in NYC to upgrade to
ARCAM AVP 700, but all demos I have listened were based on much higher end MartinLogan speakers. I also have listened Theater Grand 5, and it sounded very good.
Thanks.

Hello All,
Thanks for creating such discussion forum.
I need an advice on preamp / processor.
Currently I have MartinLogan Arius i and Cinema connected to the Sunfire Cinema Grand, all this was working-sounding very nice up until recently, when my Sunfire Theater Grand II start making clicking sound, and sound quality noticeably decreasing.
Sunfire ask me to ship the unit to their repair depot, and it will coast me a lot of money to repair this preamp.
So I think this is a good time to upgrade ;)
Do you guys know what will match to this setup? Price range 2k-2.5k
I was suggested by various High-end Audio stores here in NYC to upgrade to
ARCAM AVP 700, but all demos I have listened were based on much higher end MartinLogan speakers. I also have listened Theater Grand 5, and it sounded very good.
Thanks.

How about the Nuforce AVP-17. It is a really good processor simple to use and it cost like 1500 bucks brand spankin' new. I used one in my system for a while and it did really well. I used very expensive processors and it was not a lot different. I think you can buy a Nuforce on Audiogon for about 700.00.

It is right in line with your system as well.

Just a thought.

my personal opinion about $2K pre/pros are that market is in a state of flux with the new HDMI specs and codecs, and the manufactures are still sorting it all out. short version not a good time to be buying a 1.5K-3K pre/pro.

What I would considers is the cheapest receiver that meets your immediate needs in terms of video switching and audio codecs. Then upgrade in a year or two when the receiver you really want comes out.

I have an Integra DTC-9.8 with HDMI swithing and all of the new audio codecs, but I wish I could say that I was happier with it than I am, I think I mostly hate the user interface and lack of direct / specific control of the unit.

The unit that looks the best to me now is the Denon AVP-A1HDCI but that is far outside your stated price range (mine too at this moment).

just my two cents....

--burke

Paronaram, welcome to the club.

A few years back I had a Sunfire theater grand III processor paired with a Cinema Grand amp. It was a nice combo, but like most here I wanted more, I kept the cinema amp but traded the Theater Grand for an Anthem Statement D1. Awesome preamp, lots of bells and whistles with great performance. Recently the upgrade bug bit me again and I sold my Anthem and put in an order for the new Marantz AV-8003 preamp. The AV-8003 is an incredible piece of hardware, it has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs, two outputs, it can decode all the new audio formats, do basic video scaling, and has the Audyssey EQ/ room correction all for $2599 MSRP. The AV8003 retails for half of what my Anthem did but smokes it in pretty much every way.

It took my dealer a month to get the Marantz because of it being in short supply since it's release, I decided since my system was down to also sell my Cinema Grand amp and upgrade to a B&K 125.7 and sell my PS Audio P1000 power plant to upgrade to the Power Plant Premier. Now that I have everything back up and running I can say this is the best I have ever heard my system! The bass is very different then it was, it's much more controlled and tight, and the mids and highs are so crisp and clean. The sound stage is also very wide and liquidy, notes just seam to float in mid air like they should.

I was talking about selling my Logan's, but this current combo is so good I don't think I will be letting go of my Martin Logan's. The Marantz AV-8003 is incredible, I highly recommend it, it's not perfect but its damn close and a bargain for $2599.99. IMO

Last edited:
+1 on the MArantz AV-8003. :D I think mine sounds teriffic and it is definitely a step up from the Sony separates I was using before. If you want to know how it sounds, read Michael Fremer's (sp?) review of the Marantz SM-11S1 stereo amplifier in Stereophile. His description of the sound of the amp is pretty much how I would describe the sound of the AV-8003.

I don't have a Marantz dealer near me so I bought mine just on faith and have not been disappointed. If you need a good price check with Marc at AV Science. I got a price that I couldn't believe (or pass up).

Hey Joe,
Glad you're staying in the club! ;)
Thanks Kruppy.

Someone call the exorcist!

I think the audio bug has possessed me. lol

I have changed just about everything in my system but the Logan's in less then a month, but damn was it worth it. The system has never sounded so good. The bug is biting again to upgrade to Summit, but I am trying to fight that one off...Or at least my bank account is. lol

+1 on the MArantz AV-8003. :D I think mine sounds teriffic and it is definitely a step up from the Sony separates I was using before. If you want to know how it sounds, read Michael Fremer's (sp?) review of the Marantz SM-11S1 stereo amplifier in Stereophile. His description of the sound of the amp is pretty much how I would describe the sound of the AV-8003.

I don't have a Marantz dealer near me so I bought mine just on faith and have not been disappointed. If you need a good price check with Marc at AV Science. I got a price that I couldn't believe (or pass up).

When I was waiting for my 8003 to show up I read a few mini reviews from Lexicon MC-12 owners that stepped over to the Marantz and were just as happy with the 8003's SQ as the MC-12. It sound to good to be turn the Marantz could compete with the MC-12. I don't have an MC-12 to A/B but I have played with an MC-12 and by memory the AV8003 does remind me of the MC-12. The build quality on the Marantz is nowhere near Lexicon's level, but that's one of the compromises for a $2599 power house.

Hi Joe

Thanks Kruppy.

Someone call the exorcist!

I think the audio bug has possessed me. lol

I have changed just about everything in my system but the Logan's in less then a month, but damn was it worth it. The system has never sounded so good. The bug is biting again to upgrade to Summit, but I am trying to fight that one off...Or at least my bank account is. lol

When I was waiting for my 8003 to show up I read a few mini reviews from Lexicon MC-12 owners that stepped over to the Marantz and were just as happy with the 8003's SQ as the MC-12. It sound to good to be turn the Marantz could compete with the MC-12. I don't have an MC-12 to A/B but I have played with an MC-12 and by memory the AV8003 does remind me of the MC-12. The build quality on the Marantz is nowhere near Lexicon's level, but that's one of the compromises for a $2599 power house.

I just ordered The Marantz AV8003 on monday, hopefully will be here by the weekend. I have a couple questions. Is there Direct source for 2 CH and how's the Audyssey EQ? Do you think I need to get a preamp for 2CH? Thanks for your input.:D

Mike

Paronaram, welcome to the club.

A few years back I had a Sunfire theater grand III processor paired with a Cinema Grand amp. It was a nice combo, but like most here I wanted more, I kept the cinema amp but traded the Theater Grand for an Anthem Statement D1. Awesome preamp, lots of bells and whistles with great performance. Recently the upgrade bug bit me again and I sold my Anthem and put in an order for the new Marantz AV-8003 preamp. The AV-8003 is an incredible piece of hardware, it has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs, two outputs, it can decode all the new audio formats, do basic video scaling, and has the Audyssey EQ/ room correction all for $2599 MSRP. The AV8003 retails for half of what my Anthem did but smokes it in pretty much every way.

It took my dealer a month to get the Marantz because of it being in short supply since it's release, I decided since my system was down to also sell my Cinema Grand amp and upgrade to a B&K 125.7 and sell my PS Audio P1000 power plant to upgrade to the Power Plant Premier. Now that I have everything back up and running I can say this is the best I have ever heard my system! The bass is very different then it was, it's much more controlled and tight, and the mids and highs are so crisp and clean. The sound stage is also very wide and liquidy, notes just seam to float in mid air like they should.

I was talking about selling my Logan's, but this current combo is so good I don't think I will be letting go of my Martin Logan's. The Marantz AV-8003 is incredible, I highly recommend it, it's not perfect but its damn close and a bargain for $2599.99. IMO

That is just too cool Joe!:) Glad to hear that you are totally enjoying your Marantz.:cool: And also glad to know that you are staying with us Logan owners.;) I agree, if it sounds that good why change to anything else (except for another Logan model like you're thinking about;)).

I agree, the bass on my Denon AVP, like on your Marantz, is way different that it was on my Sunfire TGIII. The quality of bass is now much better, it's tighter, and much more controlled like you said. Bass notes on music through the Sunfire was a bit boomy, not so on my AVP, as the bass is now not overly pronounced and very refined.

I'm curious, does your Marantz allow you to stream FLAC or WAV from your PC? I have found music streaming through my AVP to be the coolest thing! It's been nearly a month since I've listened to an actual CD, as the sound quality of FLAC and WAV easily matches that of the original CD.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Marantz. D&M Holdings has some winners with the Marantz AV-8003 and Denon AVP-A1HDCI!:D

Seth

The unit that looks the best to me now is the Denon AVP-A1HDCI but that is far outside your stated price range (mine too at this moment).

--burke

Yes the Denon AVP has to be the most advanced preamp/processor on the market right now. It's a state of the art unit that leaves nothing out. A large percentage of AVP owners were once owners of Theta, Lexicon, Meridian, Halcro, Anthem, and Krell. They have been totally impressed with the Denon AVP. Yes at $7,500 it's not exactly cheap, but as JonFo can attest, the Denon AVP is indeed the cats meow.

And if the features, functions, and fully balanced circuitry weren't enough, a cool new addition is coming to the AVP soon. In October Audyssey Dynamic Volume will be available as a free firmware update to all AVP owners.:D

Seth

I just ordered The Marantz AV8003 on monday, hopefully will be here by the weekend. I have a couple questions. Is there Direct source for 2 CH and how's the Audyssey EQ? Do you think I need to get a preamp for 2CH? Thanks for your input.:D

Mike

Hay Mike,

Congrats on the Marantz.

Yes there is "Direct" & "Pure Direct" which shuts off the display and video circuit. I would wait on the 2 CH preamp, the AV8003 is very good for 2 CH. IMO

The Audyssey works great, you have the option to turn it off if you don't like it. At first I didn't like it, it set my mains to small and my surrounds and center to large with a high crossover point, but you can go in and tweak these settings if you like. Also the Audyssey will make the bass pretty weak, but with a little tweaking to the settings and sub placement my bass has been better then it ever has.

That is just too cool Joe!:) Glad to hear that you are totally enjoying your Marantz.:cool: And also glad to know that you are staying with us Logan owners.;) I agree, if it sounds that good why change to anything else (except for another Logan model like you're thinking about).

I agree, the bass on my Denon AVP, like on your Marantz, is way different that it was on my Sunfire TGIII. The quality of bass is now much better, it's tighter, and much more controlled like you said. Bass notes on music through the Sunfire was a bit boomy, not so on my AVP, as the bass is now not overly pronounced and very refined.

I'm curious, does your Marantz allow you to stream FLAC or WAV from your PC? I have found music streaming through my AVP to be the coolest thing! It's been nearly a month since I've listened to an actual CD, as the sound quality of FLAC and WAV easily matches that of the original CD.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Marantz. D&M Holdings has some winners with the Marantz AV-8003 and Denon AVP-A1HDCI!:D

Seth

Thanks Seth,

Well my ears say YES! Must have summit's, but my bank account says NO! lol

Right now I am planing on modifying my theater center, I don't have a problem with ML's main speakers, it's there center channels that to me leave a bit to be desired. so I am going to attempt to hotrod my theater. he he

Ya, in a way I miss the full on assault of bass that I had, but it was very boomy. Now it's much more clean and tight, drum hits actually sound like drums...Amazing:music: Next I am going to be working on the acoustics of the room and run the Audyssey again to try and pull a little more sound out of the system.

The Marantz does have an ethernet port on the back for streaming music off my PC to the 8003 but I have not played with it yet. All my music is on my ipod so its been super easy to just plug in my ipod and go.

Another pre-amp option is the B&K Ref70

__________________________________________________________________________________________
New features include:
* 14 discreet Audio & Video Inputs including 6 HDMI Inputs
* Hi-performance True Video upconverting and scaling of Component, Composite and S-Video to 1080P
* 16 Digital Inputs (8 optical / 8 coaxial) including digital audio on all 6 HDMI inputs
* B&K's New GUI On-Screen Interface with Overlays up to 1080P via HDMI
* Built in FM/AM Tuner with Simple Tuner Preset Stations
* Ethernet port (RJ-45) for IP Command and Control
* Full 2-Way RS-232
* Built-In 14 Source Discreet IR Routing
* Up to 7.1 Analog Inputs for SACD / DVD Audio / Dolby True HD / DTS Master
* 7.1 Balanced (XLR) Outputs for High Quality amplifier connections
* New Smart Sync Programmable Audio & Video Preferences by B&K
* Made in the U.S.A

The Reference 70 uses Silicon Optix's Reon Video Processor to set a new standard for video excellence,
we call it Hollywood Quality Video, or HQV. The Reference 70 also sets new standards of audio performance
using Freescale's audio processors. Combine the Reference 70 with a matching B&K amplifier and the
experience is simply awesome.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

B&K says they have 100 units ready to go, it should be shipping my day now. Only negative is the REF70 retails for a grand more then the Marantz at $3599 and will not do processing of the new audio formats out of the box, the REF70's SSP board is not complete yet but B&K is still going to ship out there units and offer the SSP board free to current owners when its ready before years end.

Attachments

• ref70_inner_page_unit_low.jpg
    ref70_inner_page_unit_low.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 245
Joe,

Have you listen TGP 5? That preamp dropped in price (dramatically)
I have seen them for $1500 to $1700 (black edition), the only major problem people see in this unit is that HDMI is not in latest 1.3a format (I don't believe, that it can not be flashed), and when you set the preamp in setup mode (via setup menu on the TV screen), you don't see it if it's connected via HDMI only.
Honestly I don't care about any of this, all I care is sound. All tho I have allot of video gear that I would love to centralize ;)
I have a matching power amp (same as yours).

Joe,

Have you listen TGP 5? That preamp dropped in price (dramatically)
I have seen them for $1500 to $1700 (black edition), the only major problem people see in this unit is that HDMI is not in latest 1.3a format (I don't believe, that it can not be flashed), and when you set the preamp in setup mode (via setup menu on the TV screen), you don't see it if it's connected via HDMI only.
Honestly I don't care about any of this, all I care is sound. All tho I have allot of video gear that I would love to centralize ;)
I have a matching power amp (same as yours).

Sorry I have not played with the TG5.
It's probably HDMI 1.1 maybe 1.2. I looked on there website but didn't see the HDMI version listed. You can't flash or update it to 1.3, you would need to change the HDMI control chip in the TG5 for that. Not that 1.3 would help you on this pre-amp because this processor can't decode the new audio formats you would still need to decode them in the player and send them over HDMI for playback.

If you still like Sunfire, and the TG5 has the features that you need I say go for it. Audio quality wise I think it will should the same as your last TG. All of Sunfire's HT pre-amps have basically been the same unit, just with a few new features to TRY to keep it up to date, or IMO the illusion that it's up to date.

Back