Pre-Amplfier for Martin Logan Purities?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvinz

Reaction score
Hello I'm looking for a preamp recommendation for the martin logan purities would like it to cost under $1,000, use the purities built in amplification and is for two channel listening only.

I don't really know where to start looking! :confused:

I've got a great Croft Polestar 1 that's battery powered. Compact, great sound. PM me if you are interested, I'll be back in an hour. And well under your price range. SUPER quiet....

I've got a great Croft Polestar 1 that's battery powered. Compact, great sound. PM me if you are interested, I'll be back in an hour. And well under your price range. SUPER quiet....

PM'd for price but I'm really not too excited about a battery powered unit any other suggestions?

Hi Kelvin,

What would help is additional info on your system including current hardware, system set up, and foreseeable upgrades. Once provided, I'm confident you will get some well founded recommendations.

Lots of good stuff out there.

You should also tell us if you are looking at a tube based preamp or SS and also if you are OK with used versus buying new.

By the by, welcome to the MLC.

GG

Last edited:
Hi Kelvin,

What would help is additional info on your system including current hardware and foreseeable upgrades. Info about room size, types of music, and loudness levels would also be helpful.

Once provided, I'm confident you will get some well founded recommendations.

Lots of good stuff out there.

You should also tell us if your are looking at a tube based preamp or SS and also if you are OK with used versus buying new.

By the by, welcome to the MLC.

GG

Hi Gordon

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I am unsure of my room size I would venture to guess that it is approx 30x20. As far as my system I have a buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre8 Reference ES9008) connected to a computer with xfi elite pro SPIDIF out(all flac) and need to some how get the analogue RCA or balanced outputs to a preamplifier for volume control. In the future I may upgrade the purities to a higher end pair of ML'sif I can find the right deal or maybe even a pair of B&W's.

I listen to all sorts of music but the majority of what I like can be considered alternative rock. I generally listen to my music a moderate volumes not so loud that my ears would hurt after an hour.

Tube or SS would be fine, tube amps certainly look cool but I don't want to purchase them just because of that I do have a APC H15 power conditioner not sure if it really does anything though ;) Not adverse to buying used gear at all!

Thank you for the welcome!

Too bad. I used it to review the purities and it's an awesome combination.
Doesnt need any line cords or power conditioning.

Here would be my other choices for under $1000 used

Audible Illusions Modulus 2D Tubes, about 500 used for a mint one
Conrad Johnson PV-10 Tubes, about 800
Krell PAM 5 Solid State, about 600
Audio Research SP-6 Tubes, about 700

You could build a Bottlehead preamp kit for about 450, not bad either

Kelvinz,

You might want to check into some of the offerings from Promitheus Audio.

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/frontpage.html

These are transformer volume controls which do not require power, only enough voltage from your sourc to work. In general, a CD player at an average of 2Vrms will work. I've enjoyed their C-Core dual mono units in my system. It is extremely quiet, as in silent (since it does not get power or amplify or boost signals). The only noise I get is noise from my amplifier, which depends on whether I have the dimmer switch on or not.

Do your research, read lots of reviews, and go on their forum for any questions. Most of it can be accessed from their site.

crusty

kelvin hi,
I am using a tube preamp and a passive one with transformers (similar to Promitheus but a lot more expensive). I am happy with the tube preamp in vocals and small jazz groups but for alternative rock I prefer the passive preamp. It has a bigger soundstage, more focus, and more "control" in higher volumes.

crusty's suggestion is great. the only "problem" is that a passive preamp will reveal the sound of your source. if your source is not good enough you have a problem.

welcome to the Purity club! place your speakers at least 5feet from the front wall and you will be amassed.

Nikos

Last edited:
By the way I have a dared mc7p valve preamp.

mc7p1.jpg

It's a great preamp (read 6moons review) but I think it's hard to find it available in US.

Too bad. I used it to review the purities and it's an awesome combination.
Doesnt need any line cords or power conditioning.

Here would be my other choices for under $1000 used

Audible Illusions Modulus 2D Tubes, about 500 used for a mint one
Conrad Johnson PV-10 Tubes, about 800
Krell PAM 5 Solid State, about 600
Audio Research SP-6 Tubes, about 700

You could build a Bottlehead preamp kit for about 450, not bad either

Between the Conrad Johnson, Krell, and Bottlehead can you tell me what differences I can expect?

By the way I have a dared mc7p valve preamp.

[IG]http://industrialcomponent.com/images/mc7p1.jpg[/IMG]

It's a great preamp (read 6moons review) but I think it's hard to find it available in US.

Very pretty how would you say the sound changed when you introduced the MC7P?

for some people the dared is a great bargain. I have change the tubes with helectroharmonix (cheap ones..) and I am very happy with it. It has a very sweet sound, matches great with Puritys integrated D class amps. A friend of mine drives Summit with class D amps and he likes the dared in his setup a lot. It gives great "body" to the instruments and I love it with vocals and 2-3organ groups.
I prefer the control and the sound stage of my passive preamp but it's in a totally different price range. for your dac I think dared mc7p is a great mach.
Nikos

Any thoughts about the Eastern Electric Minimax preamplifier? The reviews seem to be very good?

Back