Pre-Amp with Audyssey Multi-EQ XT for under $3k (new)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

Give me some models that satisfy the above. Ideally, i am interested in pre-amp below $2000, but i can stretch it to $3k. This is not for now...in the near future. So, if there is a great model that is about to come out, then please point it out too. HDMI is a must of course.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Multi-EQ XT32 is what i want.

Last edited:
Onkyo 5508 or integra 80.2 are mighty fine.

They have Audyssey xt 32. The 32 version is a significant step up from the xt version.

Last edited:
+1 for Integra 80.2. If you are not in a huge hurry, they will probably announce the 80.3 later this year. Also, the 40.3 might get some trickle down features as well. But the 80.2 is a beast.

FYI, these models also are Audyssey Pro ready. Which means you can have an Audyssey Pro installer come do a calibration with a much more precise setup. Look into it. It will run you anywhere from $200-$350 depending on your installer. The license cost $150 alone. It takes 1-2 hours depending on how many positions are measured. And you will get a "certificate" which shows before and after FR graphs for each speaker. It does a much better job than the standard Audyssey built into the preamp or receiver. Look into it at least. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys...if anymore suggestions, then please keep it coming!!

There is a tiny problem with those Pre-Po...they are a bit too tall for my rack! And i don't want it to be outside my rack. (My Denon 4306 fits perfectly.) My other choice is just to get a Denon 4311ci, but this is an AVR, not a dedicated pre-pro. The 4311ci is also only around $1500 new...vs nearly $3k for the above pre-pro. And 4311ci has Audssey XT32 and "Pre Amp Mode" which tries to make the 4311 into a pure pre-pro unit.

This is what audioholics have to say about "Pre Amp Mode":
"Lastly, the AVR-4311CI has a feature that we've only seen on two other receivers before (Yamaha RX-Z7 and RX-Z11) - Pre Amp Mode. For years we've been suggesting to our readers that they get a receiver with pre-outs so that, if they feel the need, they can add an amp later. Dedicated separates were (for a very long time) out of the reach of most consumers and were (until recently) usually lacking some of the most recent features. Opponents of using a receiver as a pre amp often sited multiple reasons (not all of which were valid ) for not using one. Denon has addressed all that with their new Pre Amp Mode. Now, the external amplifiers can be disconnected from the power supply section, thereby allowing all other operating components to receive the purest power and also eliminating any chance of “noise” from the amplifier section infiltrating and potentially degrading the audio/video paths. In a brilliant move, Denon has allowed the Pre Amp Mode optional setting in which selected amplifier channels may also be configured for multi-zone use, while the main zone amplifiers are shut down. This gives users a tremendous amount of flexibility in setting up their system in a variety of ways without compromising fidelity or features."

Last edited:
you can find the 80.2 for under 2k - i have it with EMotiva mono blocks and Summits... sounds awesome. Great features too.

Hmm, NAD is a good one...need to see if they will upgrade it to XT32. The 80.2 sounds like a great product, but damn it, it is just a tad too tall! :(

the 4311 would be my choice at these price points. I have the big brother AVP-A1HD and love it. Upgrading to XT32 later this year.

A local audio shop guy told me that Denon has changed their "sound" so that Klipsch speakers will sound better when hooked up to Denon AVRs. Their old "neutral" sound is gone in the newer units. That was one thing i like about my Denon 4306.

In addition, despite the 4311 having 2 more amps and more features, my old 4306 weighs almost 2 lbs more! Is that a concern?

A local audio shop guy told me that Denon has changed their "sound" so that Klipsch speakers will sound better when hooked up to Denon AVRs. Their old "neutral" sound is gone in the newer units. That was one thing i like about my Denon 4306.

In addition, despite the 4311 having 2 more amps and more features, my old 4306 weighs almost 2 lbs more! Is that a concern?

Didn't Denon transition to ICE amps in their more recent model line-up? That may in part explain the lower weight.

You can upgrade the denon pre ?
Yes, Denon is releasing a $1,000 firmware and hardware (HDMI 1.4a board) update to the AVP preamp.

Key attributes of the update:
3D Pass through
Audyssey MultEQ 32 with Subwoofer level matching
Audyssey DSX
dts Neo:X
Dolby PLIIz

Updates start in early November by taking the unit to a repair facility near you.

Back