PoweredForce

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is "PoweredForce" the same thing as "ForceForward" on the Prodigy models?

Hola...the new generation speakers, self power, like Vantage, Summits, Spire, and Purity are PoweredForce...this is what ML says about

poweredforce...PoweredForce™ Bass
Low-Distortion Aluminum Cone Woofer

MartinLogan PoweredForce woofers feature advanced driver and amplification technologies that deliver astonishingly dynamic and articulate bass to as low as 29 Hz. (Spire model) Integrated low-frequency equalization further enhances performance by allowing precise tailoring to individual room acoustics.

Prodigy and also Odyssey have ForceForward woofers array. The woofer's coils are aligned at the same level...making this a superb bass performance but are not self powered. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

As Roberto said, the short answer is no. Powered force drivers include a Class D amp which is dedicated to powering that individual woofer. The Prodigy's require an amplifier to power the woofer.

Hope that helps.

GG

Thanks everyone. I guess I asked the wrong question.

I understand that somehow the rearward projection of the Prodigy's bass is cancelled or reduced. In other words the bass is pushed forward and rearward energy is reduced.

Even though the newer speakers are powered do they do the same thing?

Thanks everyone. I guess I asked the wrong question.

I understand that somehow the rearward projection of the Prodigy's bass is cancelled or reduced. In other words the bass is pushed forward and rearward energy is reduced.

Even though the newer speakers are powered do they do the same thing?

Hola Roberta...they are complete different beasts!. The self powered woofers have some benefits. First of all, the sensitivity of the speakers are very high, thus making possible to use low power amps to drive just the panels. So now, you can have on your hand a big selection of super good sounding power amps, that you could not used them before, because we needed the high current amps to drive the panels and woofers. Quality watts are better than quantity watts, in other words. If you have a quality watts but limited on power, you can use them now with no problem. I have a super happy customer with a pair of Summits with an amplifier with only 35W/Ch. On the other hand, you have, as an example with the Vantages, a control @35Hz +- 10dBs, so your stationary waves are tuned. In the Summits you have two controls, one @25Hz and other @50Hz both +- 10dBs. You can adjust the bass performance much better and take off the one note bass room. The Spire is the same as the Vantage. You can not do this with the Prodigies. You can't go wrong with the new crossover design and the new models. They, for my liking and ears, really sing nice. Listen to them, you might like them as well...happy listening,
Roberto.

OK, I'll try again.

First thanks Roberto for filling me in concerning the Summit. I am considering purchasing a pair. However, there is a question that I was hoping to get answered about the rearward radiation of low frequencies.

Here is a quote (found on the ML site) from High-End Hybrid By Anthony H. Cordesman, The Absolute SoundApril/May 2001

"Non-ForceForward speakers radiate bass equally in all directions, including toward the wall behind the speaker. The sound radiated toward the wall is then reflected back toward the listener. The reflected energy will add and subtract, depending on the wavelength, from the forward-radiated sound, creating high and low amplitude response anomalies when the low-frequency response is measured from the front of the speaker or at the listening position. Typically, these anomalies are a suck-out at 50 Hz and a peak at 100 Hz."

So the question is does the Summit radiate bass equally in all directions? This important for me due to where there are going to be positioned. I'll query ML as well.

Thanks everyone.

OK, I'll try again.

First thanks Roberto for filling me in concerning the Summit. I am considering purchasing a pair. However, there is a question that I was hoping to get answered about the rearward radiation of low frequencies.

Here is a quote (found on the ML site) from High-End Hybrid By Anthony H. Cordesman, The Absolute SoundApril/May 2001

"Non-ForceForward speakers radiate bass equally in all directions, including toward the wall behind the speaker. The sound radiated toward the wall is then reflected back toward the listener. The reflected energy will add and subtract, depending on the wavelength, from the forward-radiated sound, creating high and low amplitude response anomalies when the low-frequency response is measured from the front of the speaker or at the listening position. Typically, these anomalies are a suck-out at 50 Hz and a peak at 100 Hz."

So the question is does the Summit radiate bass equally in all directions? This important for me due to where there are going to be positioned. I'll query ML as well.

Thanks everyone.
Hola and will try to explain my findings, because I have both Prodigies and Summits. With the Summits, it is less room dependant. To my ears also, goes deeper and more precise, because you can adjust the bass energy at 25Hz and 50Hz.

Slide16.JPG

Slide17.JPG

Slide18.JPG

You can see the differece Summits Vs Prodigies...hope this can help!
Roberto.

Back