Powered Woofer ML's and Mono vs Stereo Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttocs

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a non-practicing supporter of mono amps for a long time, just haven't gotten there yet. I know there are exceptions, but generally monos possess qualities which I'd like to experience in my system some day, maybe soon.

So my questions:
Since the current crop of Martin Logan speakers have powered woofers, will mono amps make less of a difference?

Since the outboard amp is only powering the panel, does this alter in any way the amp specifications for which one would seek?

Without any facts to go on, I believe mono amps would still be preferred but have less impact, even if only slightly less impact. As was said by George Carlin as Biff Barf while doing the Biff Barf Sportlight Spotlight: "I call 'em like I see 'em, and if I don't see 'em, I make 'em up!"

Hola. The mono amps, what makes them wonderful, is having a power supply for each of them. When you have a stereo amp, usually you have only one power supply for the two channels. Bryston is one of the manufactures that uses two dedicated power supplies for stereo use. The only thing in common is the AC cable. Having a dedicated mono amp for each channel, the overall sound is more dynamic and detail. Yes, the manufactures design their products having in mind the energy consumption and are supposed to delivery enough (Joules) for what they need in moments of this energy demand, but it is strange the behavior, because when mono amps are used, the easy to drive difficult passages at the music, is more evident.

Not all the stereo brands have this problem, so critical listening is a must. Trust your ears, they are the best judges for what are you seeking. Sometimes, this difference is so little or impossible to tell, that having mono or stereo amp, really does not matter, or the difference is to little, that the difference in price of what you pay and what you get, it is not justified.

The best way it to try in your own system. Listen them for a little while...two or three hours with your most liking music, and do the change. And then, let your ears decide. It is your liking, your system, your music, your ears and your money. Also, what I do like, not necessary must be your liking...so just be patience and choose the one that you liked most!

All brands have their own signature. Me, as an example, I am now married with Conrad Johnson. I am in heaven with C-J! It truly sounds right! (to my ears).

Happy listening!

Back