Power Plant Premire???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnauzer/lover

Reaction score
At $2,200, for this power conditioner, can't find any reviews on it. Crutchfield has had only one in almost two years, and yet they say low stock. Any one have one, or a friend that has one. Sounds like if it is a great unit there would be alot more reports on it then just one. Can it be the price??:confused:

At $2,200, for this power conditioner, can't find any reviews on it. Crutchfield has had only one in almost two years, and yet they say low stock. Any one have one, or a friend that has one. Sounds like if it is a great unit there would be alot more reports on it then just one. Can it be the price??:confused:

The PPP was favourable reviewed in TAS and HiFi+ relatively recently (the reviewer ended up buying one or two IIRC). At $2,200 the PPP ain't cheap, but there are certainly more expensive power conditioners out there (those from Running Springs Audio and Nordost come immediately to mind)!

The PPP was favourable reviewed in TAS and HiFi+ relatively recently (the reviewer ended up buying one or two IIRC). At $2,200 the PPP ain't cheap, but there are certainly more expensive power conditioners out there (those from Running Springs Audio and Nordost come immediately to mind)!
"Favourably reviewed" in this case is an overwhelmingly strong argument against putting stock in reviews. Have you heard one? Didn't think so.

The PPP leaves everything to be desired and is an egregious ripoff to boot. A $10 power strip sounds no worse, IMO. Ask me what I really think!

I know the above criticism might not sit well with some, but I've got to call 'em as I see 'em. I heard its grainy, edgy, noisy effect on one of my clients' fairly high performance system (Avant Garde Duos with Lamm tube electronics). Additionally it has a very noisy fan in it which comes on if the load is high -- it roared from 15 feet away! He was finding listening an unpleasant experience and couldn't figure out what it was. Removing that and the Ultimate Outlet from the system was a big part of it. Sold them for him quickly, which put a chunk of change in his pocket and more music in his system.

For those of you with PPPs and UOs in your systems, please take no offense to the above, but try removing them and see what you think. YMMV but chances are your ears will thank you.

I think if you research it, you will find many opinions on PPPs that disagree with Brian, no offense Brian. I have had 4 PPPs over the last 3 years. And there was a batch that had a fan issue, PS Audio fixed them for free. With that said, the PPPs I had were dead quiet and they lowered the noise floor to total black silence.

The only issue I found was putting them on a power amplifier. When compared side by side with a Running Springs Audio Danielle and Dimtri there was just a slightly better power flow that sounded just slightly more open than with the PPP by itself, at least on amplifiers. On components the PPPP was hard to beat.

However you are talking twice the money for the Running Springs Audio compared to the cost of the PPP. And on cost, the PPP can be had for $1400 at Music Direct and for less on Audiogon. If they were not so popular they would not sell so fast on Audiogon and I for one could tell a real difference with the sound of my system with and without the PPP;

I tried without the PPP and the power where I live is noisey as hell and it spikes and we have brownouts on a daily basis. With the PPP I never had a problem.

And yes I still use PPP in two of my three multi-channel ML systems.

First, although not many responces to my question, I got more then I could ask for, especially different opinions, Thanks very much for taking the time!

Heres the reason for my question, I have a 5-1 setup the high end of the definitive speaker line with a high end Integra receiver line, And I kept this set up when I got my MLs and bought a amp + preamp tube type for a 2-1 setup. Quite a step up from the 5-1. So they both are working off the same power conditioner, but neither would be on at the same time.

My ears have been exposed to various hazardous sounds, and are now very sensitive to sharp edge sounding music, such as I find in solid state equipment. The first power conditioner I tried was the PPP, and I must say it made a very noticable difference in the original sound, it smooth those edges I was talking about even more then the tube amp. I did not try all the different confgurations, I was already sold on it except, the unit got quite warm if not hot and the fans did not kick in. So I was able to return it, and now feel like I should reconsider.

I did try the Furman, about the same price range, and it did just the opposite and nullified the pleasant affects of the tube amp. And made it sound like a solid state sound. So back to the PPP, but I am excited to hear that $1,400, thats a savings of $800.

At any rate, thanks for the input and if I have to pay the $2,200 will do,

Thanks for all your input, very helpfull as always!!! Bob

BTW the solid state sound is not a bad thing unless your ears are as sensitive as mine are...........

If you run everything through the PPP including the amp check with PS Audio and they can tell you how much you can pull through the PPP without overheating the unit. My unit never got hot, that was one of the benefits of the new PPP. Anyway, I know there is a bunch of stuff out there on the PS Audio line because I researched it pretty heavily before I bought my first one. Good Luck.

I've got one which I ordered directly from PS's website. It was a "B" stock unit which has a new warranty. I run an all-tube ARC setup through it and the fan in mine never turned on. Cast my vote for a positive experience.

So I put my order for one PPP B-stock, thats to me is quite a savings.

So with the first unit that I returned was not B-stock $2,200 cost, and the fan did not come on even when it got hot.

So I feel better about this one because I will have 30 days to return, hope it performs this time because it is really a great unit, and I really was delighted to here others like it as well! Thanks for intro me to "Musiic Direct"!!!!!

Back