Power Conditioners - are you plugging your ML's in?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew, so far my Summits and other A/V gear seem OK! Kitchen phone got fried, and Master BR Tivo won't power up. Hopefully no other major damage.

It’s always worrisome when these things happen, and I’m glad your main A/V is OK.

I agree that maximum protection and effectiveness occurs when all devices are on common grounding and all hanging off a single conditioner.

There are still many challenges, everything is so interconnected these days.
Seven pieces of A/V are networked, but most network linkups are opto-isolated, so hopefully that's not a problem.
then the Satellite TV DVR's have cables going into them coming from that little lighting rod, er antenna, on the roof. Even when those are well grounded, that's the one that makes me nervous the most.

But then, there automation systems, often with Serial connections that establish new ground paths, audio connection from PC’s, etc. All of these need to be examined.

This is when tools like Jensen transformers come in really handy. I’ve had to resort to them in the past to kill hum, and to break external grounding paths.

Luckily right now, my uber-complex system is hum free, and does not need any transformers to get there as it’s almost all balanced analog connections or Digital (HDMI, DenonLink, toslink).

Hi Gord,

I used to have a Panamax before purchasing the Audience Adept Response R12. It was night and day moving to the Audience conditioner. Granted, it's a lot more money , but money well spent and worth the benefits. I beleive if you eventually try a high end conditioner that you will have a higher opinion of them.I once too scoffed at the high price for them , upon listening it became a moot issue.

I use a surge / spike arrestor at my circuit breaker panel. It is called "EP-2050". It also filters high frequency signal. The website is www.ep2000.com. This is a one of a kind arrestor in the States. The company's called "Environmental Potential".

IMO, the best way to protect my system and get the best A/V is to use a surge arrestor at the breaker panel. I'm waiting for a Synergistic Research Power Strip (QLS-9) with no surge/spike protection (no capacitors in the power strip)to use with my systems (it has 9 outlets).

Latest posts

Back