Power Conditioners - are you plugging your ML's in?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
Just curious on how your guys are hooking up your ML's... Is it best to plug them straight into the wall, or into a power conditioner that everything else is hooked up into?

My ML's are dead quiet, but what about for surge suppression, brownouts, etc that happen on the regular A/C lines?

Thanks
gordon

Definitely protect them. Mine are fed off my Tripp-Lite conditioner / protector. Simple wall-wart type units also work well. The difference was very noticeable overall when I went to the now clean a/c power!

I have mine plugged into an old Monster HTS 3500II, mainly for surge protection. I compared the sound with and without the conditioner- no discernable difference. Of note, all my gear runs off a single 20A dedicated line, but I use a Belkin PF60 surge protector/conditioner for the rest of my gear, as it definitely improved sonics (probably due to higher current capacity than the Monster). Obviously, YMMV, depending upon the quality of your local power source, and current demands of your gear.

the electric companies are notorious for problems I use this model I have seen them shut everything off during unstable power conditions! I still unplug everything during a storms as most insurance companies will not buy you new logans if they are fried do to power surges they usually have a cap of what they pay per piece of equipment that's it and its not enough for the stuff we like

Attachments

• 5500ex.jpg
    5500ex.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 409
  • max5500ex1.jpg
    max5500ex1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 408
the electric companies are notorious for problems I use this model I have seen them shut everything off during unstable power conditions! I still unplug everything during a storms as most insurance companies will not buy you new logans if they are fried do to power surges they usually have a cap of what they pay per piece of equipment that's it and its not enough for the stuff we like

That looks like the same one I bought his past weekend.

Got mine plugged into my Honda portable generator, really helps to solidify the bottom end !:D

I have mine plugged into an Audience adept response conditioner along with after market Foundation Research powercords that also have coditioning built into the cord going to my Odyssey's. Isoclean fuses in the foundation research conditioners. And yes, it made the world of difference.

Cheers, Greg

. . . and it (nearly) goes without saying that if JUST ONE of your components is plugged straight into the wall (or is hooked up to anything that is plugged straight into the wall) the surge suppressor was a waste of money. The entire Audio/Video system must be isolated electrically from the outside world for them to be in any way effective. That includes cable lines/satellite/out side antennas and phone lines.

I've chosen the Panamax Max-5510 for my surge suppressor/power conditioner. Monster power conditioners use MOVs, which have a relatively limited lifespan. After the MOVs are gone MANY times the units continue to pass current to the equipment meaning that the next surge could destroy the connected gear. The Monster units do have a light to indicate that they are no longer protecting the equipment but who wants to depend on a light that they can forget to check?

Panamax uses an avalanche diode that acts almost like a flood gate. It opens when voltage is above or below a safe area, then starts testing the voltage. After the voltage is back within the normal range for 7 seconds Panamax units allow the equipment to receive electricity again. When an avalanche diodes fails they are stuck in the "open" position 99.9% of the time. Meaning that the equipment receives NO electricity so the user knows that the power conditioner needs to be replaced.

Panamax specifies that MOVs are 1000 times slower then their avalanche diodes. At trainings Panamax regularly does a demonstration where they hook up a Panamax and a Monster into a device that can create spikes, then into each unit they plug an illuminated lamp. Both units are then hit with a 150 volt spike. In the 10 or so demos that I’ve attended I’ve noticed two things. First before clamping down the lamp plugged into the Monster grows momentarily brighter. A sign that is letting the beginning of the surge through before clamping down. Hence the potencial for damage to connected equipment. No increase in the brightness of the lamp plugged into the Panamax is observable. Second, I’ve NEVER seen a Monster live past the third “hit”. Twice they began to smoke, once a small fire began. The Panamax products have lived through 10-15 hits before they go on with the presentation, they don’t fail mind you the presentation just moves on because they’ve proved their point.

From what Panamax says other surge devices using MOVs will act in a similar manner. If you are considering things up market from the Panamax products Transparent Audio’s power conditioners also use avalanche diodes and offer some of the best power conditioning that I’ve ever heard. PS audio’s new power conditioners use something in addition to an MOV. They claim that these two devices in tandem are better than an avalanche diode. They may be, for me I look at how these devices work in the long term (ie years) and their products are just too new for there to be a body of empirical evidence out there, one way or the other.

Yep, I even created a seperate sub-network for the power outlets near the speakers, that sub-network is fed from the same 5KVA EquiTech balanced power conditioner the rest of the rig runs off.

The whole house has surge protection and power-factor correction at the main panels as well.

are you guys using extension cords from your logans to the power conditioners? I have all my gear in the left front corner of my HT so the right ML is about 15' away from the equipment rack... what are you guys using - heavy duty extension cords, or "snake oil" power cords?

thanks!

are you guys using extension cords from your logans to the power conditioners? I have all my gear in the left front corner of my HT so the right ML is about 15' away from the equipment rack... what are you guys using - heavy duty extension cords, or "snake oil" power cords?

thanks!

manufactures usually say no way on extension cords! time for a second power conditioner:( or you could just do it anyway although I would build your own out of thick 12 or 10guage wire with actual outlets on the other side so you can plug all of your speakers into that

thanks!

I would think you could find an after-market IEC cord that is 15' or longer. Maybe Volex offers one.

Subs???

What are you guys doing with your subs? I am currently runnig 2 JL Fathom 113 subs, that are plugged straight into the wall outlets that are behind them... I would assume that these beasts are too power hungry to be plugged into a power conditioner??? How are you guys treating your subs???

thanks!~

. . .

I've chosen the Panamax Max-5510 for my surge suppressor/power conditioner. Monster power conditioners use MOVs, which have a relatively limited lifespan. After the MOVs are gone MANY times the units continue to pass current to the equipment meaning that the next surge could destroy the connected gear.

I recently purchased a Shunyata Hydra 8 and a Hydra four for my power amp and maybe something else down the road. Now I called Shuyata and talked to their tech guy about the MOV's and he said they have only replaced ONE MOV in all the years they've been producing those units, and that one took a direct lightning hit!

I have heard about MOV's degrading over time, and the guy also said, that takes years, probably longer that my lifetime! Now I too was concerened about MOV's being in the Shunyata units, and was (still am) considering the Audience units.

I guess I find it hard to believe that Shunyata would have the reputation they have if MOV's were failing.

JM

Latest posts

Back