potential ML owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgyver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

after using my B&W Matrix III for roughly 20 years I am currently looking for a replacement. Since my listening room has an issue with reflections I was focussing on loudspeakers with strong directivity i.e. systems being horn based or having some sort of wave guide. (JBL an Klipsch e.g.)
Well, until my local hifi dealer came up with an Odyssey left in his warehouse and that he could give me for a special price.
Since I will go later a for a DSP room corection system I will convert at the same time my new loudspeakers to active crossover. And that is one of the reasons I am here - to share thoughts about activating an Odyssey.

regards

jm

Welcome aboard!

If your room has problems with reflectivity, ML's will help a bit in one way, but present challenges in others. Managing the dipole nature and the 100% equal energy from the rear wave will be something to think about.
Managing that energy to achieve your sounds goals is something we can talk about.

Are you able and willing to put in some sound treatments?

I agree that the front wave's directivity helps whereas the rear wave's energy might cause extra problems. Sound treatments are an option as long as they can be achieved with reasonable costs and can be integrated in the rooms general appearance. I could imagine putting some kind of absorbers in the area of the wall directly hit by the rear beam. I assume they could be approcimately the same size as the ESL to allow partial reflection. Btw I currently have more mid/high freq reflection issues than low freq mode problems.
Although the Odyssey is a bit bit bulky ;-) I will probably can get it for a listening test at home.

jm

Latest posts

Back