please advice on upgrade!?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsandovalb

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am new to martin logan... so far I am really enjoying the details they reproduce!

I have a nice basic system for 5.1 HT and music (I do not have lots of space at my house) room is 14x16x10 feet

I listen to music and HT (50/50), my gear consist on:

Speakers:
Fronts: Electromotion ESL
Center: Motion 8
Rears: Motion 4
Sub: scandyna Bass Station

Electronics:
TV: Samsung Led TV 55 inches full HD
Blu Ray payer: Oppo BDP93
Amp: Marantz SR8002

I have a great opportunity to add an Anthem A5 external amp (almost new at a very good price) to use with the SR8002 pre-outs.

My question is: assuming there is no need for any type of room treatment, does it make sense to take this opportunity or should I invest elsewhere?

My initial thinking was:
1. buy amp as it is nicely priced and is supposed to be a solid HT AMP (NOW)
2. eventually buy a dedicated Pre (when technology advances and makes my marantz obsolete / or fail (1-2 years)
3. upgrade Subwoofer (1-2 Years)
4. if my ears refine, upgrade center channel (only if find it necessary)

So....

Would it make sense?? thanks for taking your time to respond!!...I am new at all this hi-fi upgraditis :p

Welcome to hifi updrade-itis and welcome to MLO!

You'll find plenty of opinions here :)

The anthem amps get solid reviews. The A5 is also rated for 2 Ohm operation. IMO, if you feel the need for upgrading, I'd say that would be a nice way to start.

Cheers

This guy's in the best physical space to get upgrade advice - in the same country as Roberto (in whose ears we trust). Hola Roberto!

This guy's in the best physical space to get upgrade advice - in the same country as Roberto (in whose ears we trust). Hola Roberto!

Good point... what a gold mine of advice... and right there in his back yard (maybe).

wow!...Roberto....is the same Roberto from whom I have been receiving great advice on my equipment!...what a small world!...I entered here just seeking for further opinions on future upgrades,and found out that precisely I have been receiving recommendations from ¨the master¨around this new to me forums!

He has proved to be a GREAT source of information and education for me, this week I was at his house and was able to listen again to his MAGNIFICENT set up!!

I have been listening to the Anthem A5 with my equipment intensively for the last two days and seems to me everything is more crisp and detailed,very nice indeed...so I am thinking on making this upgrade and sometime in the future, hunt for a dedicated pre to raise the bar on my HT set up :)

Roberto!: que mundo mas pequeño y que gusto saber que andas por aca tan activamente!! jejeje

Hola Bernardo and Hola Bernard! Hola tsv_1... little world? Yup!... and it is good and nice to have you here. This is the forum that I had talked to you before. I always had received tons of good lights and stars, and also, tons of super good friends, as you can see. We all talk here, about the best sound of the world only. It is a pleasure to have you with us. Do not hesitate to ask what ever you need to know, regarding our beloved hobby: listening to the musician(s) in our own place with the great sound of ML. Thanks a lot to all of you for the kind words for me. I am who told Bernardo (Costa Rica), to get the Anthem Statement A-5. I knew that his system was needing it, and I just got it from a customer who is getting divorced and he just bought it recently. The unit is almost brand new. What I do recommend always is: trust your ears! They will tell you if you like what you are listening to or not. I know that out there are great good amplifier brands, but as you know Bernardo, getting things here in Costa Rica, sometimes it is very difficult. Little by little is the way to go, I recommend to you, to go on the front, that all the speakers should be electrostatic. But give you time, do not hurry. Live with the things that you have now for certain time, and learn all the good and the flaw fo the products. There is no perfect product. Experiment with your room, walls and floor, acoustic treatment, it is a must. But again, take your time. You will receive here, from the forum, the most honest opinions from all of us, and remember this: what I like, not necessary you have to like it too. I wish to all of you, a very happy listening!

Last edited:
Gracias Roberto!... great advice :)

Will just take my time and enjoy fully my current set up so I can learn more with time!... feliz fin de semana!

Hola Bernardo and Hola Bernard! Hola tsv_1... little world? Yup!... and it is good and nice to have you here. This is the forum that I had talked to you before. I always had received tons of good lights and stars, and also, tons of super good friends, as you can see. We all talk here, about the best sound of the world only. It is a pleasure to have you with us. Do not hesitate to ask what ever you need to know, regarding our beloved hobby: listening to the musician(s) in our own place with the great sound of ML. Thanks a lot to all of you for the kind words for me. I am who told Bernardo (Costa Rica), to get the Anthem Statement A-5. I knew that his system was needing it, and I just got it from a customer who is getting divorced and he just bought it recently. The unit is almost brand new. What I do recommend always is: trust your ears! They will tell you if you like what you are listening to or not. I know that out there are great good amplifier brands, but as you know Bernardo, getting things here in Costa Rica, sometimes it is very difficult. Little by little is the way to go, I recommend to you, to go on the front, that all the speakers should be electrostatic. But give you time, do not hurry. Live with the things that you have now for certain time, and learn all the good and the flaw fo the products. There is no perfect product. Experiment with your room, walls and floor, acoutic treatment, it is a must. But again, take your time. You will receive here, from the forum, the most honest opinions from all of us, and remember this: what I like, not necessary you have to like it too. I wish to all of you, a very happy listening!

If 50% of the time your watching movies, your first priority really should be the center channel. Remember, for movies the center channel is by far the most important speaker (more important than L and R fronts). Many home theater enthusiasts say that 50% of the entire speaker budget should be in the center channel! As you do a lot of music listening this is not necessarily the case for you, but your center channel should be on the level of your front L and R channels at a minimum. I would start by upgrading the motion 8's. I think overall 80% of the sound quality is determined by the speakers; amps, preamps, etc make up the other 20%. I'm not saying the other 20% is not important, but if there is clear speaker upgrade, I would do the speaker upgrade first unless there is a major identifiable problem (like clipping due to an underpowered amplifier, for example). Currently you have a $400 center and a $2000 L and R. I would even the quality of these two to start off.

Last edited:
If 50% of the time your watching movies, your first priority really should be the center channel. Remember, for movies the center channel is by far the most important speaker (more important than L and R fronts). Many home theater enthusiasts say that 50% of the entire speaker budget should be in the center channel! As you do a lot of music listening this is not necessarily the case for you, but your center channel should be on the level of your front L and R channels at a minimum. I would start by upgrading the motion 8's. I think overall 80% of the sound quality is determined by the speakers; amps, preamps, etc make up the other 20%. I'm not saying the other 20% is not important, but if there is clear speaker upgrade, I would do the speaker upgrade first unless there is a major identifiable problem (like clipping due to an underpowered amplifier, for example). Currently you have a $400 center and a $2000 L and R. I would even the quality of these two to start off.

Thanks for your insights, Invenio!

I agree with your thinking, what happens is that here in Costa Rica it is quite difficult to aquire nice electronics at fair prices, therefore my intention of taking this opportunity to get a nice amp and later, when upgrading through Roberto's excellent service as ML representative, I will have the juice to open up the new speaker!
If I know that I could get at anytime an amp with this quality and price, rest assure I would probably would be buying a nice center instead... :p

+1 on this.

1) Center
2) Amp
3a) Move Electromotion to rear, and upgrade front ESLs
OR
3b) Sell Electromotion, and replace with higher end.

Personally I bet you will be really happy doing 1 & 2.

Of course if you get a deal on something, you jump on it :).

Hola Bernardo, saludos de parte de otro Tico (viviendo en los Estados)

I agree with Invenio, the center is indeed the most important channel for movies, and very important for multichannel music. Upgrading that would be my priority.

However, as I know well from trying to build up stereos in Costa Rica back in the '70s and '80s, if you find a deal, jump on it. That Anthem seems like a good unit if you can get it at a reasonable price.

My question is: assuming there is no need for any type of room treatment, does it make sense to take this opportunity or should I invest elsewhere?

Bad assumption, you DO need room treatments, more so with the typical cement construction used in homes there. Please see more of my posts on Room Treatment for some background.

Hola Bernardo, saludos de parte de otro Tico (viviendo en los Estados)

I agree with Invenio, the center is indeed the most important channel for movies, and very important for multichannel music. Upgrading that would be my priority.

However, as I know well from trying to build up stereos in Costa Rica back in the '70s and '80s, if you find a deal, jump on it. That Anthem seems like a good unit if you can get it at a reasonable price.

Bad assumption, you DO need room treatments, more so with the typical cement construction used in homes there. Please see more of my posts on Room Treatment for some background.

I couldn't agree more with the above. You didn't tell us about the room which is of CRITICAL importance. If you actually do have cement walls and/or hard wood floors you will need a significant amount of room treatments if you want your system to sound the best. Room size is another issue as ML's in my opinion need "breathing room" to really come alive. You can take a picture and post it, I'm sure we can give some suggestions on what would be most beneficial and cost effective in producing the best sound possible. I have over 150 panels of sound treatment in my home theater, not to mention corner bass traps, and multiple curtains (for decoration and sound dampening) all around the room. It really cuts down on those nasty reflections that tend to ruin a good soundstage.

I couldn't agree more with the above. You didn't tell us about the room which is of CRITICAL importance. If you actually do have cement walls and/or hard wood floors you will need a significant amount of room treatments if you want your system to sound the best. Room size is another issue as ML's in my opinion need "breathing room" to really come alive. You can take a picture and post it, I'm sure we can give some suggestions on what would be most beneficial and cost effective in producing the best sound possible. I have over 150 panels of sound treatment in my home theater, not to mention corner bass traps, and multiple curtains (for decoration and sound dampening) all around the room. It really cuts down on those nasty reflections that tend to ruin a good soundstage.

Thanks for the suggestions!.... on my first post I asked to assume no room treatments were needed just to receive inputs regarding equipment upgrades, however, I am aware that an appropriate room might be the most important part of the equation :)

saludos a todos!

The Reps on Martin Logan did a pie chart and they describe that the largest part you hear is your speakers interacting with the room. On that note it is always good to do the room treatments before bringing in the fancy electronics. I wish I could treat my room but I cannot, instead I have to rely on room correction that ARC gives me on my Anthem avm preamp

The Reps on Martin Logan did a pie chart and they describe that the largest part you hear is your speakers interacting with the room. On that note it is always good to do the room treatments before bringing in the fancy electronics. I wish I could treat my room but I cannot, instead I have to rely on room correction that ARC gives me on my Anthem avm preamp

I can hear you.... room treatment for me is also very restricted since my gear is part of the main living room, not a dedicated room ... anyway, they do sound great and I enjoy them.... which at the end is what counts! :)

Back