Placement queries

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi, my Summits arrive next week. I intend to place them 8 feet apart, 3 feet between the wall and the panel.

Where should I place the rack? Right now, I am planning to place it in between, but behind them, towards the wall, so that there is a clean place if you draw a straight line from speaker to speaker (the rack will be just behind the line). It is a quadraspire rack, on spikes - I might out Stillpoint isolators beneath the components.

Right now I have laminate flooring boards, but I intend to put carpet wall to wall, so the rack will be on spikes on the carpet. The Summits will be on decoupling platforms.

So all chords will run into each other. The DAC will connect to Krell integrated on the lower shelf, and cables will run from Krell either side to the Logans. The mains filter will be behind one of the speakers, to the side of the rack, running power cables to the various components.

Any tips on the above, or is all that fine.

Last edited:
if at all possible move the components out from between the speakers like to the back of the room or along the side move the summits out from the front wall 4 to 5' if possible. 3' sounds good for the sides. hang a nice picture or sometning on the wall between them. put some lighting behind them so when listening in the dark you have a nice glow behind them. there are allot of nice setups in this forum to give you some ideas. enjoy them i have mine.

Bonzo,

After having numerous ML models over some 25 years, try to get 5' from panel to back wall.

And remember the "rake" angle. Closer to perpendicular, the better.

And do verify exact "toe-in" for both speakers.

It all matters.

And I agree with Kh. Keep the area between the speakers as unobstructed as possible.

GG

Last edited:
I'm less experienced than many others here, but I can tell you that when I started I had a huge 65" rear projection tv between the speakers, and it was only after I upgraded to a flat screen did I realize what I was missing. I had excellent sound, but poor imaging...almost no imaging actually - only stereo when in the exact sweet spot.

of course an audio rack is likely much smaller, but i doubt it will do any favors. As another comment above mentioned, I have found it helpful to see the members system section. I've noticed many people place the equipment very close to the floor in between the speakers, though I can only guess why (certainly not to save money!) - perhaps to keep the equipment from creating strange acoustics???

By the way, congrats on getting the summits!

Oh yes, I have a 55 inch TV between them, though 3 feet behind, on the all? Just out of curiosity, a plasma has a glass screen, while and LED doesn't. Is LED screen any better or as bad a glass screen for reflection?

Oh yes, I have a 55 inch TV between them, though 3 feet behind, on the all? Just out of curiosity, a plasma has a glass screen, while and LED doesn't. Is LED screen any better or as bad a glass screen for reflection?

Great question, my instincts say that if anything, glass would be more problematic but I have no evidence for that. I know I prefer to not have speakers near a window because they tend to echo mids and highs and rattle from the bass.

After i noticed the sound improvement with my new TV, I started putting all sorts of stuff over the tv to see if the acoustics changed (I have an LCD).

in my house, to my ears (not expert, but not novice either) a flat screen LCD in the middle sounds the same as no tv once the speakers are 3-4 feet away from the wall. I actually preferred some heavy blankets in the middle, but it's kind of hard to watch tv that way! Also, my listening area is (was) in a basement with mostly hard surfaces so maybe the blankets tamed the mids and highs just a little in a favorable way.

Back