Pigeon crap

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
Whilst I was away, a pigeon fell down the chimney and used my aerius speakers as a roost, resulting in white crap down the metal grilles.

I've managed to clean nearly most of it off with a dam sponge soaked in disinfectant and an ear bud for removing crap out of the holes.

I do not know if there is any behind the grille.

If there is crap touching both the membrane and front grille, will this cause a problem?

Any suggestions as to how best deal with it?

Hola... my suggestion is to remove the stat panels from the cabinet, and take them to your backyard. Then using a hose with plain water, apply gently the water to all the panel surface. Once you had cleaned all the crap, you have to take them to your garage, and leave them for two or three days. Once they are totally dry, install them back into the speaker's cabinet.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~t...n Logan Quest Stator Panel Shower Washing.pdf

These are not the model of your speakers, but it is the same procedure.

Happy listening!

My only concern with Roberto's recommendation is, do you know what you water is like....hard, soft, etc.

Myself I would 'shower' them with copious amounts of distilled water.

Will having a solid bridging the gap between the grille and film cause an issue?

Damn, I thought that may be the case, probably is high resistance but with the high voltage involved, is likely to conduct so current.

Looks like I need take the front stators off, last time I washed them the foam strips were starting to come apart so it may be quite easy to do. I may look into recoating as they are beginning to lose a bit of hf.

What a pain in the ar%%%.

How did the solid get in there, and why can't it go out the way it came in?

I wasn't there but I guess the pigeon sat on the top edge then let loose, the white stuff dribbled down, some of it was on the front of the grille whereas some of it went through the holes behind the grille and onto the mylar film.

In theory it should be possible to wash it out but it won't be possible to get any water pressure to hit the reverse side of the grille through the holes. Won't know until I've given it a go.

Back