Photography Club!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you'll love the XTi - I think that is the same as the EOS400D here in Australia. Fantastic camera.

Here's another taken with my 30D.

Attachments

• CHARLIE 1mlo.jpg
    CHARLIE 1mlo.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 101
Cool shot Adam!

SOOO... when you gonna take a pic of your Ayre C5xe??

Cool shot Adam!

SOOO... when you gonna take a pic of your Ayre C5xe??

arrrrgh......stop it! I want one bad. Really bad. I wish I could take one now, but my wife says "NO".

To be fair - we've just moved to Queensland (over 1,000 km) and we're having a great time, but that in itslef has posed a lot of expenses. In addition to that, I want to get a little motorbike too!!

So you'll have to put up with pics of my Marantz 8300 and SB3/MF X-10 for a little while longer!

Well, DSLR doesn't evolve as fast though.

Before you upgrade though, please keep in mind that (someone already said this kind of) it's your vision and your ability to capture the moment and the equipment comes second.

Honestly if you don't have much time to play with it (I sure don't...), it'll take awhile. I've used a DLR before I got my DSLR so it wasn't too hard to make the transition but you have so much to learn! The different modes on the camera and how to use the camera is one thing... But to KNOW what to use when does take lots of practice. You could essentially get the same exposure with many different combination of settings that you just can't really learn by reading. After you master that, since it's all digital, you have all the PP (post processing) technique to learn as well... That's where I'm stuck since I don't know anyone who can show me how to use PS CS3. But anyways I'm just rambling on and it's late and I'm tired so I'm just gonna stop now. Bottom line is, good luck, have fun, and keep shooting!!! :)

ABSOLUTELY!!

As I've heard:

What is it? 90% of the world's best photographs were taken on equipment inferior to the most basic camera you can buy today.

To paraphrase, even the most basic camera you can buy today is far superior to the equipment used to take most of the world's best pictures.

Whatever you have, you gotta know how to use it.

Lighting

Hey Joey,

I could tell from the photos you had on the A-goN that you were using a camera mounted or built in flash.

One thing you should consider when photographing stationary subjects is side lighting and fill flash, especially if you don't want to spend a lot of time trying to correct lighting problems later with Photoshop.

I spent three years as a lab tech and photographer for the local section of the Orlando Sentinel, wrist deep in developer, stop bath and fixer trying to correct lighting problems from ad people who thought they were great photographers after I handed them the final photo. I could go on... Well back in the 70's... bla,bla, blaaaaa.

Satch

Thanks for the input regarding lighting.

Ray... you gotta know though, them pics from audiogon are from my lowly Sony P/S camera. I dont think much can really help that camera.

:)

Joey!

Long time!

Glad that you did not go with the D40 or D40X. I have a Nikon D1X with a plethera of high end lenses and a Canon G7 point and shoot so I am a fan of both brands. I actually did business with the folks at Canon and they have a much better marketing strategy then Nikon. (wink)

The problem with the D40's is that they will only talk with the DX line of lenses. That means that they are limited on what you can do with them so in order to really enjoy Nikon, you would need to look at a much higher end body. I love Nikon but their low end entry level stuff is made to compete with other low end manufacturers. Not that you won't get good pictures but it is kind of like comparing MLs to Bose stuff.

I'm a photographer as well although not really professional (I do pick up the occasional paid job but not like I used to). I shoot with a Nikon D200 and D70 with an assortment of pro glass. I think both Canon and Nikon both make fantastic cameras and they both have their edges depending on which models you're comparing and which aspects you're comparing. When it really comes down to it you can't go wrong with either brand and you as the photographer will make a far greater difference than any piece of equipment could.

Have fun with the new camera. If you're just getting into "serious" photography (and even if you already are serious) there are many great resources out there and one can never stop learning. I recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and the excellent resources provided by dpreview.com and luminous-landscape.com.

If you're interested in viewing my personal work (humble though it is) a link follows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/still_reprise/

Ditto on the Understanding Exposure book. It puts it all into perspective. I know it's helped me a lot. I have had the opportunity to use both my Canon equipment and my co worker's equipment which is exclusively Nikon. Same features different locations on the camera. I think it's a win win situation with either brand. It's your eye and composing the shot that make the biggest difference.:D

Back