phono cartridge lifespan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little DIY soldering and a Cinemag CMQEE-3440a and you will have a very nice transformer for very little dosh. The Cinemag allows you to select the best gain structure for the output of you cartridge with gains of 9:1, 15:1 , and 36:1 you can just about run any cartridges made into the ARC preamp.

http://www.cinemag.biz/mic_input/mic_input.html

Last edited:
Cartridge longevity

I'm upgrading my Sumiko Bluepoint to a much pricier higher end unit (thanks to the resolving power of my new ML I think I need an upgrade, that and my wife decided to dust the turntable one day, and yada yada, I need a new cartridge) and I've decided to buy used.

It seems most of the online ads state 300 hours or "low-use". I have realized that I don't know how many hours one can expect from a cartridge!! Is 300 hours about 1/2 the normal use life expectancy? Is it 500 hours?? Any advice for getting a new cartridge??

Many thanks,

Randy

I have enjoyed this thread. You have received some good advice from analog aficinados. Of all of the gear you could buy used, the phono cartridge is probably the riskiest purchase. There are no CarFaxes for CarTridges so you cannot know how much use, abuse, and loving care any cartridge has received. I would agree with the consensus that most well-made and well-designed cartridges can play well for 2000 to 3000 hours as long as the records are clean, the stylus well groomed, and tracing weight is appropriate. The trickiest part of deciding on a cartridge is that it is difficult to know how it will sound in your system. It is worthwhile to read reviews of the cartridges that you are considering and the associated equipment that the reviewer had for the audition. A good phono stage will allow a range of gain as well as loading options. You also have to factor in the capability of your tone arm since some are limited as to the weight of the cartridge that they can accommodate.

If you have not yet taken the plunge, you might explore two lines of generally excellent cartridges: Benz Micro and Clearaudio. You can get into either moving coil line at the lower end and get a distinct taste of the higher end. The nice thing about these two lines is that they have trade-up programs once you decide you need to replace your cartridge.

The nice thing about these two lines is that they have trade-up programs once you decide you need to replace your cartridge.
i don't know if the program is still available from Koetsu, but I started with the Black, traded up to the Black Gold Line, then traded further up to the Rosewood.

Unfortunately, the new distributor is no longer doing that...

A great way to build brand loyalty though!

I have learned a lot on this thread

Thx all the replies. This thread has been very helpful.

My analog setup is my old sumiko bluepoint (ca 1991!) / SME309 / VPI HW 19.

Through a series of events I've ended up with an Audio Research SP16L and a PH3SE (54db gain) is on the way. I really love the remote control on the new amp, and it does jump up suddenly in volume (using the remote) at the lowest settings. The quicksilver is in the closet for now...

I've been looking at the benz and shelter line, but will check out the koetsu and clearaudio as well. Thanks to this thread I will take the plunge soon.
I've set a price limit of $500. I'm not so sure I'll go used anymore.

Thx again for all your advice. I'm still a little embarrassed about the idea of piggybacking 2 phono stages! oh well.

On another note, it's interesting to hear the difference between the Quicksilver and the ARC line stages in my system. I haven't done much serious listening yet but I do notice a few differences. The ARC bass is tighter and seems faster. In higher frequencies the ARC just seems to have more. I never thought the quicksilver had a dull top end, though, just the ARC seems to have more extension and what I'd call presence. The other difference is soundstage. While the quicksilver has a good presentation and presents a group of individual instruments effortlessly playing the same song, the ARC seems to recreate more of a single space as if all the instruments are playing in the same room, which is larger and more detached from the speakers. I think I prefer the ARC. The only bad thing is it seems to get confused or congested at times (maybe it's me, or just complex music, I only notice it rarely), maybe strained is a better word. But with the quicksilver, it seems that it's very easy to pinpoint any instrument and follow along all the time, while still hearing everything else. Some instruments appear as a "ball" in space that seems to resonate, almost.:music: I look forward to swapping preamps to hear the differences the next few months.

Gear:

APL Denon 3910 CD (not the tubed one)
Analysis Plus Solo Crystal
ARC SP16L (Quicksilver full preamp - discontinued)
Analysis Plus Oval One
VTL MB125 in triode
Analysis Plus Oval 9 to ESL / Audioquest ?? to woofer
Spire

music is a variety of jazz and classical

On another note, it's interesting to hear the difference between the Quicksilver and the ARC line stages in my system.
Don't forget the possibility of tube rolling, especially if you have very old tubes in the units. My ARC SP9 went from sluggish and closed in (after many years) to quick and open with a tube upgrade.

The Sumiko Blackbird is a perfect match for the PH3SE, using that right now and it works great. The PH3SE is just a touch warm and the Blackbird can be a little dry in the wrong setup, but with the ARC, it is fantastic....

Really? I'll check it out. May be able to get a trade in on one of my other sumikos. That's closer to my price range and will definitely reduce the pucker factor.

thx

Bernard,

Now that you mention it, I need to do some tube replacement soon. I've got about 7 or 8 yrs on the the power amps, and not sure about the 2 new preamps.

Back