Panels project for >$100

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmooth

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to Foamorder.com I was able take a low-end dive into the pool of acoustic treatments. The pic is what I have done so far and I was wondering if anybody had some thoughts on good/better panel placement. They have just been put up with double-sided tape so I could get a feel for the aesthetics and sound.

Attachments

• panels1.jpg
    panels1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 150
I must say that louder volumes sound better then they did before. Also, the higher frequencies for movies are more tamed then they where before (that was what I was looking for). Just the first impressions.

play your system, and from your listening position cup your hands behind your ears while focusing on the center soundstage. If what you hear is clearer and coherant, good. If you hear a brighter but sometimes harsh and grating sound(s) [usually in passage peaks, solos et al] from the center, youmost likely need some treatment there.
I find this low-tech method of detection amazingly reliable for all the audible sound spectrum.

Should I add some panels at the side wall reflection point also. I have enough left to make 2 foot squares on each side.

If I had spare treatments, I would. Experimentation is one of the fun parts of this hobby. Try it, if it sounds better to you that’s all that matters.

Now, I think you’ll see a bigger change in sound by treating side reflections from the rear of the panel vs. side reflections from the front.

Back