OPPO to shut down it's Mfg ........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is sad!

I currently have an OPPO 83, 93, and 105D.

To be fair, I have ZERO 4K material and don't see the point in it. I also stream the vast majority of what I watch these days.

The VAST majority of people are moving towards or have already moved to file/stream based video just like music.

I believe CD/DVD/BD players will eventually go the way of the floppy disk for computers. Most new computers no longer even have a CD/DVD/BD player burner.

That is sad!

I currently have an OPPO 83, 93, and 105D.

To be fair, I have ZERO 4K material and don't see the point in it. I also stream the vast majority of what I watch these days.

The VAST majority of people are moving towards or have already moved to file/stream based video just like music.

I believe CD/DVD/BD players will eventually go the way of the floppy disk for computers. Most new computers no longer even have a CD/DVD/BD player burner.

Well this is a great point. Even I don't use my CD player any longer. When the software gets impossible to find - and if you want to play music - you gotta go the dac route which I did.

Eventually?

BD had gone that way before it was even released! I remember being flabbergasted at the release of a "dead-in-the-water duck".

Who uses disk-based media these days?

This became another audiophile like thing. A BD is less compressed than streamed video so it attracted the same audience who wanted uncompressed audio files.

I think OPPO was very smart for including a fantastic uprezzing engine along with high quality audio components. It was a perfect marriage for the same audience.

However I think that is still a shrinking niche market.

Aaaargh!!! This sucks, I've had a 205 in my wish list for year. I keep delaying because my 103 works fine, and I landed a Sony X800 to play UHD discs (with their exclusive Atmos tracks).

Now to decide, get a 205 while I can, or just pass.

BTW- on the media discussion, there is a very important detail: Internet connection capacity. Some of us are stuck on 12Mbps DSL. What we supposed to do? Stream SD the rest of our lives?
Here in the US at least 50 million have less than 'broadband' connections. And tens of millions more barely above that minimum.

So I buy CD's, BluRay and UHD. Plus I'm a quality-focused audio/videophile and would still buy media even if I had a Gig fiber connection. Streaming services scale quality based not just on your bandwidth, but on theirs relative to demand. So at 9pm EST quality is lower than at 9am EST.

What we supposed to do? Stream SD the rest of our lives?

Download and play offline? Surely a better option than mucking around with physical discs?

12M is slow, but enough for any audio you care for, and enough for 1080p too. So all you’re really talking about is UHD, for which content is somewhat limited anyway.

Download and play offline? Surely a better option than mucking around with physical discs?

12M is slow, but enough for any audio you care for, and enough for 1080p too. So all you’re really talking about is UHD, for which content is somewhat limited anyway.

I tried Netflix in 4K just for grins for a month and then cancelled it. I didn't think it was worth it.

However Comcast only broadcasts 720p here, and 1080p does look better.

What's even sadder is how BD's continue to be mangled. It's not rocket science to set up a decent scene directory.

Let me give you a few examples.

The 2009 Battle Star Gallactica series is fantastic on a number of levels, but the BD set has issues. You are forced to watch a forward by the direct every time you open a disk no matter which episode you want to watch.

I was going to purchase the BD's for Fringe which I really enjoyed, but I read piles of complaints that there was NO SCENE selection and you literally had to fast forward to find a particular episode.
That is just being lazy! I can't imagine why anyone would release a disk set like that.

There was a BD set for FarScape released but it was just uprezzed from SD material. An OPPO does this very nicely on it's own.

Recently I've been reading about how recently released HD BD's that were remastered when 4K versions were created were done much better.

Finding good BD's is a royal PITA. It seems like there is a real effort to dissuade people from ever buying them.

It seems like there is a real effort to dissuade people from ever buying them.

I don't watch TV, and I have no idea what you're talking about - but the same applies for music. They might bemoan piracy, but in every other aspect of life we expect that if we pay more, we get more. When the paid product is tangibly and materially inferior on so many levels, it just leaves you aghast.

It is perhaps time for concerned Oppo owners to grab up some spare drive/laser mechanism's just in case. Doing so should equip you long enough to get to the timeframe for a cap change in the PSU. Of course, by then, you might well be streaming everything and have no need for physical media.

It is perhaps time for concerned Oppo owners to grab up some spare drive/laser mechanism's just in case. Doing so should equip you long enough to get to the timeframe for a cap change in the PSU. Of course, by then, you might well be streaming everything and have no need for physical media.

My OPPO 105D almost exclusively runs as a DAC/preamp output fed by a file server. It's drive mechanism may have 5 hours of use on it.

My OPPO 83 and 93 have many years of BD's and DVD play time and have worked flawlessly.

FYI, the UDP 205 is now sold out at Oppo's website, and most other sources. However, AudioAdvisor apparently still has some in stock. I just ordered one, as a backup transport for when my BDP 95 eventually gives up the ghost. I'll always want a physical player for my collection of SACD's, and old DVD's/Blu-Rays. Perhaps Oppo will reconsider, given the mad rush of consumers to snatch up the remaining stock.

Darn! AudioAdvisor just emailed me saying the UDP 205 is "backordered" so I'm apparently still "SOL!"

Darn! AudioAdvisor just emailed me saying the UDP 205 is "backordered" so I'm apparently still "SOL!"

I just did a search to see what is currently available in a DAC / PreAmp with balanced XLR outputs and was surprised to see what a bargain the 205D was compared to what I saw out there.

Many of these were 2-3x more expensive without a drive mechanism or ability to drive headphones.

OPPO will be missed!

I called AudioAdvisor, and they told me there might be one more shipment of players coming in, and if so, they'll fill as many backorders as possible. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I just did a search to see what is currently available in a DAC / PreAmp with balanced XLR outputs and was surprised to see what a bargain the 205D was compared to what I saw out there.

Many of these were 2-3x more expensive without a drive mechanism or ability to drive headphones.

OPPO will be missed!

you betcha, I love mine !

I called AudioAdvisor, and they told me there might be one more shipment of players coming in, and if so, they'll fill as many backorders as possible. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I hope you get yours Alan, the folks at Oppo had indicated there was going to be on last shipment before June. Maybe this whole thing is a way to gauge how big a run they should do for the final order. Based on the absolutely nuts pricing on eBay, maybe they'll make a really big run, as they'll be satisfying current individual like you and I, but also the reseller/scalper market demand as well.

Personally, I hope some ID brand, like Emotiva or such buys their IP and hires the team and keeps this train running.

Back