Opinions on Beemers and similar (cars)?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Say Rich! How goes the search for your next car?? :)

Decided on the SLK55AMG did we? ;)

Joey

Funny you should mention that . . . but that is probably the car I would get if I could go with another two-seater. But with baby on the way, I need a four-door sedan. I am considering the BMW 5 series and a couple of others, but I haven't really started seriously shopping yet. I'll keep you posted.

MB CLK62 AMG BLACK! Yea baby! I would LOVE to get one of those! It is the F1 pace car for the street! SWEET!

BMW's are great. I love my 330Ci. But, wait until the A5 comes out. I think it looks better than the BMW 335 coupe. I'm still not fond of the new BMW look. IMO the M3 was the best looking of the 3 series. Now, if you have the cash 645Ci hands down.

I'm still not fond of the new BMW look. IMO the M3 was the best looking of the 3 series. Now, if you have the cash 645Ci hands down.

Dr. Pig, I agree with you! The BMW's have become less and less attractive since the 7 series from quite a few years ago... I also agree this M3 that is just finished (ie. the in-line 6 M3) was one of the finest looking BMW's EVER! Though I still like the M1, but that is a whole different story. I do like the current 335i Coupe pretty well (not as much as the outgoing M3) and I think the 6 series just looks good because everything else looks so bad! If you put that car next to a Porsche Carrera 4 (about the same price) or something along those lines, I can't believe ANYONE would pick the 6 from a looks point of view!

I think the jury is still out on the Audi 5's but it is nice to see a decent size coupe join the Audi line up! YMMV!

Funny you should mention that . . . but that is probably the car I would get if I could go with another two-seater. But with baby on the way, I need a four-door sedan. I am considering the BMW 5 series and a couple of others, but I haven't really started seriously shopping yet. I'll keep you posted.

Sweetness! That two seater is MEAN! And the 5 series aint a bad choice either! I saw a 550i the other day, and it pretty much grabbed my attention away from the expressway for a little bit.

In my world, I've been working on my G35 coupe... had the warranty replace the tranny and the clutch for no charge (it's not that it was broken, but Infinity has a great warranty and replaces much of what we want them to if once has the thick-face and audacity to constantly complain :)), we replaced the brake rotors with Porsche-type rotors (slit + drilled), added a Plenum spacer for the manifold, and initially installed an HKS dual exhaust.... but later removed it due to the NOISE :eek: ! Now, we're looking at winter rims/Blizzak tires.... and some G35 all-weather mats!

It's truly a fun car.... and the reason I've had some time cut from this forum.... I'm really thankful I got this car and that my parents helped buy it.... it's truly a luxury item and something I'm not sure why I deserve.

Sorry for the ramble....

Joey

Dr. Pig, I agree with you! The BMW's have become less and less attractive since the 7 series from quite a few years ago... I also agree this M3 that is just finished (ie. the in-line 6 M3) was one of the finest looking BMW's EVER! Though I still like the M1, but that is a whole different story. I do like the current 335i Coupe pretty well (not as much as the outgoing M3) and I think the 6 series just looks good because everything else looks so bad! If you put that car next to a Porsche Carrera 4 (about the same price) or something along those lines, I can't believe ANYONE would pick the 6 from a looks point of view!

I think the jury is still out on the Audi 5's but it is nice to see a decent size coupe join the Audi line up! YMMV!

Au contraire my friend... I believe that the new M3 is the best looking ever! And I am anxious to wrap my little grubby fingers on one for a test drive, if the BMW dealer lets me! :)

Joey

While I like the new 3 series, especially the 335i Coupe, I share the good oinky doctor's sentiment re. the E46 series, especially the 330i coupes and cabrios, and of course the M3. Beautiful.

If my next car turns out to be a BMW, it is probably going to be a 2005/2006 E46 M3, or the new 135i coupe. On the smaller car the bold lines of the new design work better than on the 3 series, IMO. OK, I'll say it: the blend of 3 series and Z4 coupe looks great!

Here is a pic,
bmw135i08.jpg

and the full link with more pics:
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_135i.asp

Link to promotional video:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/07/now-on-youtube-.html

Here is a pic,
bmw135i08.jpg

Not to be argumentative, but that car stabs me in the eyes with unnecessary... I can't even name it... stylized crapola. There is just no functional reason for all that -- stuff -- that they're hanging on the sides of what would otherwise be an excellent car.

BMWs have always been about function before all else. They made big square sedans that ran circles around most sports cars and made you smile every time you found a corner. This superfluous tacked-on "design" might be suited for toasters but it has no place on a serious sports sedan.

It reminds me of when this came out
20100_0_1_2_moto%206.5_Image%20by%20Aprilia.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg

Some appliance designer came out with a bike that was supposed to be "style" and it fell on its face so hard you can probably still hear the echo in Italy. How they keep selling BMWs that look like that is a testament to their intrinsic goodness and their loyal (and I'm sure diminishing) following.

Au contraire my friend... I believe that the new M3 is the best looking ever! And I am anxious to wrap my little grubby fingers on one for a test drive, if the BMW dealer lets me! :)

Joey

Love ya Joey, but you couldn't BE more wrong! The new M3 is not NEARLY as good looking as its outgoing model! :D You know just like what sounds best... it is all a matter of personal taste! If EVERYONE thought the new BMW's were as ugly as I think they are (3 series excepted, and to a lesser extent the 6) then they wouldn't sell ANY of them and they would change the way they look, but they have not done this and continue to sell more and more cars every year! Shows what I know!

Not to be argumentative, but that car stabs me in the eyes with unnecessary... I can't even name it... stylized crapola. There is just no functional reason for all that -- stuff -- that they're hanging on the sides of what would otherwise be an excellent car.

BMWs have always been about function before all else. They made big square sedans that ran circles around most sports cars and made you smile every time you found a corner. This superfluous tacked-on "design" might be suited for toasters but it has no place on a serious sports sedan.

MT I am with you! I don't care for the looks of most of the new stuff and absolutely think the Z4 is the ugliest thing to ever roll on wheels. Ok, the Honda Element, and the first of the Pontiac Aztecs were WAY worse, but the ugly little Z4 design elements should be kept there (or removed to make that car much prettier) and the new 1XX would look TONS BETTER!

The E46's are sex on wheels, the M3 in particular just looks PERFECT for the sports coupe that it is!

BMWs are fine. But Alpinas!
I'll take an E46 B3s over an E46 M3, for example.
And an E36 B8 over the new M3.

Not that I have such choices!

BTW, can you BMW experts please confirm...
Bimmers are the cars.
Beemers are the bikes.
?

BTW, can you BMW experts please confirm...
Bimmers are the cars.
Beemers are the bikes.
?

I never quite understood this... I went to Bimmerfest in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago...(Bimmerfest is a gathering of BMW car folks)... I heard several people pronounce Bimmer to rhyme with simmer (as in "simmer down, now")... I was then told that "Beamer" is for bikes and Bimmer (rhymes with simmer) is for cars.

My response was this: "WHAT? - the whole world calls the BMW brand "Beamers" no matter how you spell it... calling it Bimmer and rhyming it with simmer is just stupid and makes you look like a total BMW snob".

I call them all "beamers" and if I get corrected by some BMW snob, I say, "whatever, loser.. get a clue". :haha1:

Take THAT, biznitch!!!

OK OK.. I am working on 2 hours of sleep.. I've been chuggin' the bean all day and I'm starting to crash HARD!. LOL

The statement re function before all else does not apply to BMWs, unfortunately. BMWs are about perception before anything else. The majority of BMW owners in the US cares so much more about the self image they want to project than the cars' abilities. BMW knows this, too. In the eighties their small six cylinder engines had a very high rate of failure around 130k - 140k kilometers. One suspected reason: BMW added or removed material to and from the block until the motor had the typical silky smooth BMW sound. That was engineering for perception. BMWs are also not the most reliable cars in general. Toyotas are about function. BMWs are about perception. And yeah, fun and emotion. Nothing wrong with that.

You don't like the looks of the 135i? Hah! This is the first time that the Bangle design works. It reminds me of the first real 3 series, the original 323i. It has the right proportions, too. Besides, beauty is in the cry of the bee holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back