Opinions? First gen Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vimont_j

Reaction score
Hello Folks, I am considering a pair of well kept Aerius monitors. Could I get some opinions? I know the general considerations of electrostats. This is just an older first gen pair so I need some advice.

If matched to a competent amp/sub can I still enjoy high volume jaunts of AC/DC, Peter Gabriel and Kodo and not lose the realism/imaging of Phantom of the Opera...ect? What is a fair price?

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

Hello Folks, I am considering a pair of well kept Aerius monitors. Could I get some opinions? I know the general considerations of electrostats. This is just an older first gen pair so I need some advice.

If matched to a competent amp/sub can I still enjoy high volume jaunts of AC/DC, Peter Gabriel and Kodo and not lose the realism/imaging of Phantom of the Opera...ect? What is a fair price?

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

They're a great speaker, but as with just about all speakers, they do have their shortcomings. As for if they will suit you then only you can decide. Listen for a long time before you commit.

No idea what a fair price would be because I'm in Australia - they go for around AUD $3,000 - $3,500 here so you could probably convert to USD then halve it, then pay even less. I don't know.

I bought my pair in the early '90's. I've never replaced anything on them and they've never skipped a beat. The first time I ever vacuumed them was this year! Great speakers!

I had a pair of the Aeirus i's before going to the Oddessey's. The Aeirus are great speakers and are a good bargain used, had mine for 6 years.

One testiment to them is that the rest of my gear changed twice, I am talking everythings, amp , pre,3 cdp's etc before I upgraded to the Oddessey's. I felt they were that good.Just keep an eye on adiogon for prices and that should give you a good ball park idea.

Aerius i owner here, and I love my speakers. You can often find them used for under $1500 + shipping.

At that price, they are extremely tough to beat.

Thanks for all the replies:) This is an older speaker mid 90's, (they were stored for a few years covered) and I know one of the lower priced ML's offered so I wanted some opinions. I do appreciate the advice and plan to purchase them at the end of this month.

BR,
Jonathan

Thanks for all the replies:) This is an older speaker mid 90's
Are you sure it's not an Aerius-i?

Either way, great speakers, bang for the buck. I've owned mine since when they first came out #203 & 204 made I think.

I just got my first gen Aerius but only a few months ago.
I say get them. I really like these speakers. If you can get them for a good price and they are well kept as mine were then you won't be sorry. Bass is nice and tight and they throw an outstanding soundstage. Don't really know too many speakers used or new that you can get that would compare for the money.
As far as amps go... I power mine with a vintage Sansui 9090db receiver which is 125 watts per channel. Results are excellent. I'd say if you have a good quality amp new or vintage you would get great results as long as your room is not huge.

Dave

Last edited:
Back