Oddessey Stator Not Working - Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOON

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with one of my Oddessey stators, no music. I checked things out and found a loose speaker spade lug at the amp and re tightned it , thinking problem solved . Well , it didn't solve it. The speaker was working fine the other day. I noticed that the ML symbol which is usually lit up blue isn't on either. Could a wire have come loose somewhere? If so , could you tell me where to look in detail . Hopefully , it is a small problem and not the stator.I would really appreciate the help.

Cheers, Greg

Greg, not to sound too dumb, but one time I had a similar problem on one of my ReQuests and it was driving me nuts. Light on the front panel wasn't on, music was muddy, then gone entirely. I checked speaker wires at both ends, nothing, looked at my sources, everything looked groovy. I was about ready to haul it down to the dealer when I discovered that when I had been dusting I'd inadvertently pulled the AC plug out of the wall. Plugged it back in and everything was fine.

I know it sounds simplistic, but did you check that?

Hi Mitt ,

I did check the powercord wire to make sure it was plugged in , and it was . I am going to check around again. I recently installed a ML sub in my dedicated room, possibly it made a wire loose on the speaker where it connects to the stator. I don't know where to look for that , any advice would be great.

I looked again and the pc was a little loose wher it plugs in to the conditioner . I got it in and the speaker working , blue light on, but still little sound from the stotor when compared to the other speaker.Is it time for a panel change ? ,due to the weak stator panel , not much sound comes out of it.

Last edited:
I took the speaker cables that went to the speaker that works fine and put them on the speaker with the very weak stator, it didn't make a difference. Is there a final check on something I can do before ordering stators???

It appears there is very little music from the one stator at all, very weak and no where near the same volume from the stator in the good speaker.If I do have to chance the stator, can you direct me to the stator changing thred.Jon Fo , I am waiting for your input.

Cheers,Greg

Doesn't sound like it has to be a stator. It sounds like you may have blown a transformer. I have Odysseys and there are specific years that they were made that have week transformers. Mine wasn't on that list, but I blew mine under a heavy DC load the amp gave the speaker. No sound and no blue light...new transformer and Voila. Beautiful sound all over again. Call Jim powers about it. He was a huge help and sent me out two new transformers and instructions on how to change them. I photographed the whole event and can post a thread with the procedure if that helps you. it's actually quite simple.
Adam

EDIT: I just noticed your second post that you were able to get the speaker up and running again. Mine did this at first then the sound degraded slowly and played at lower and lower SPLs until it just died out within 24 hrs.

Last edited:
Is there any sound coming from the speaker at all? If the stator is bad, the woofer would still be playing bass... If it is a blown step up transformer same thing.

If there is no sound at all.. it has to be a bad wire or connection possibly even in the unit prior to the crossover...

Last edited:
In my case it was a blown Flogos. The large transformer on the first board behind the rear woofer. once it finally went, there wasn't any sound from anything. Replacing the transformer brought it back to 100% it's original self.

Hi Adamo,

I think you might right. The woofer section is also very weak compared to the other speaker. The bass isn't a deep at all, and hardly working at all. The stator produces no highs, hardly any midrange. Being that the woofer section and the stator are affected leads me to beleive it's not a stator problem.

If you could post that tread on changing the transformer , I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Greg

Hi Adamo,

I think you might right. The woofer section is also very weak compared to the other speaker. The bass isn't a deep at all, and hardly working at all. The stator produces no highs, hardly any midrange. Being that the woofer section and the stator are affected leads me to beleive it's not a stator problem.

If you could post that tread on changing the transformer , I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Greg

Hola Moon...if your logo does not lit, it means that you are not getting any power A.C...I suspect that the problem is no power, be sure to have A.C. Mains where you have plugged the power cord. Just take a lamp and connected there, just to make sure. Other thing could be your power amplifier. If there is no signal, then the logo will not turn on. Swap the speaker´s cable, the left for the right and try again. The woofers are dynamic, and do not need any A.C. mains to work. If you don´t have any bass, then you do not have a signal there. On the other hand, if your Odyssey starts to sing, then you have one channel bad from your amp. Ask Jim Power regarding your problem prior order any stat panel. It looks a different issue than a bad stator. Call them, it would be much easer. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Hi Roberto,

I emailed Jim Power this morning. I do have the blue ml sign lit up , it's getting power. I took the speaker cables running to the good speaker and put them to the speaker with the problem, it still had a problem , so that rules out anything in the chain before the speakers.Hopefully it is a small fix such as the transformer.

Hi Roberto,

I emailed Jim Power this morning. I do have the blue ml sign lit up , it's getting power. I took the speaker cables running to the good speaker and put them to the speaker with the problem, it still had a problem , so that rules out anything in the chain before the speakers.Hopefully it is a small fix such as the transformer.
Hola Moon. Are the woofers working?...if they do, then you have a bad power supply or Xfomer. It is a good idea to sent to Jim an e-mail with all your tries.I wish I could be near you to help you out with this...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,

The woofers are working, but no where near to what the other speaker does. If I rated the sound from the good speaker at 100%, I would estimate the problem speaker would be running at around 25% for both the woofer and stator section.I always wished I would never have a problem like this and here I am.I am sure JP will have the answers.

Hi Roberto,

The woofers are working, but no where near to what the other speaker does. If I rated the sound from the good speaker at 100%, I would estimate the problem speaker would be running at around 25% for both the woofer and stator section.I always wished I would never have a problem like this and here I am.I am sure JP will have the answers.

mmmmm just thinking loud...why don't you take both metal jumpers out on both speakers, and connect the speaker cable to the bottom connectors and listen. Both should be equal. Only low info will be heard. This test will allow us to confirm that it is just a high voltage power supply, bad stator or a bad xformer failure. How can you know which is the culprit? Changing one of these at a time a listen for a change. Hope this can help!!! Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

I was in contact with Jim Powers and tried some things he suggested. I first vacuumed the panel which didn't solve it . Next Jim suggested to swap the stator out of the speaker which was working great to the problem speaker.

I did that and the problem still exist.Next , I will replace the HV power supply circuit board on the back plate and hopefully that cures the problem.

To anyone who thinks changing stator panels is going to be a big job , I assure you it is quite easy to do. I was rather surprised how easy a job it is .

Cheers, Greg

Man, bummer. But when you mentioned that the wire from the amp was loose, I figured you probably had something similar to what happened to Adamo, that is, you fried something in the ESL electronics with a short between the +/- terminals. As other have posted, the step-up transformer seems to be delicate in this series.

Just keep following Jim's isntructions. In the end, the factory takes care of its customers.

Moon, I apologize for not following up. I have recently replaced the second transformer just to make sure both stat panels have no deviance in frequency response. It is very simple when you know what to do. PM me and I'll get you my cell or office line so I can walk you through it. 15 min is all you need. It took me longer the first time due to being a little nervous. The second time was almost no down time. Just unplug the speaker a good day in advance to make sure the caps are all drained. Don't want to catch a nice little shock :D
Oh yeah, make sure to ask for the transformers with the splice sleeves in lieu of the solder type unless you want to do some soldering.

I really have to put in a good word for the service that Jim Power of Martin Logan has provided me. It has been outstanding. Jim really cares about customer service, fast responses to emails, detailed diagrams of servicing the speaker, and friendly customer service.

In this day and age, it is a true pleasure to deal with an individual like Jim. A big thanks from me . I should have my speaker problem fixed very soon.
Cheers, Greg

I installed the circuit board today that ML sent me . Good news, the Odyssey with the problem is 100% now after the new circuit board. Great to have music again.

Cheers, Greg

Back