Odd issue with Pass X-250 and Vantages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
Hello folks,

For a year now I have a pair of Vantages hooked into a Pass Labs X-250 amp. Now my issue: I feel that the entire system has plenty of burn-in but it is taking MORE volume control now to make the same sound level. Has anyone else noticed this? I have had my ears tested and they are still quite good, and I have made very few room treatment changes over the year.
Could it be the Vantages settling in? Could it be the amp weakening?
Help Tom, I know your running a similiar system.
You heard it MiTT, any suggestions or wisdom.

Thanks, Lee

Have you tried cleaning all contacts (I/C and speaker spades/bananas)? I am always amazed at the improvement in sound when I do so.

Have you tried cleaning all contacts (I/C and speaker spades/bananas)? I am always amazed at the improvement in sound when I do so.

Thanks Bernard, No I have never tried that. Should I use an eraser? We used those in the military to clean antenna connections.
I am still noticing a very nice sounding system, it just takes more volume knob to make a difference. I can really tell cause my AVR shows the volume as a number.
I recently vacuumed the Vantages, no real difference. And the difference in increased volume was prior to me bringing the panels closer to perpendicular to the floor.

Lee

No, don't use an eraser. Use a contact cleaner like Caig ProGold. It's amazing how much muck you get off a contact when you clean it.

Sounds weird Lee. Try Bernards contact cleaning idea and if that doesn't work try leaning them back to their original position to see if you regain any apparent volume. As I recall you have relatively low ceilings in your listening area (around 8 feet right?), so maybe there's some sort of odd room interaction going on related to the panel angle.
:confused:

Last edited:
Maybe for a 'sanity' check you could borrow another amp, or receiver, and see if there's a noticeable difference. If there is, then maybe it's the amp and not the speakers.

Erik

Lee, when was the last time you vaccuumed your Vantages ??

is this something you noticed over night? it could be that you are getting used to the sound volume. I have noticed that I can listen to my logans at a much higher volume than other speakers epecially after they are broken in.
what is your source?

No, don't use an eraser. Use a contact cleaner like Caig ProGold. It's amazing how much muck you get off a contact when you clean it.

Thanks Bernard, I am sure after a year of pretty regular use then it might be time for this procedure.

Lee

Sounds weird Lee. Try Bernards contact cleaning idea and if that doesn't work try leaning them back to their original position to see if you regain any apparent volume. As I recall you have relatively low ceilings in your listening area (around 8 feet right?), so maybe there's some sort of odd room interaction going on related to the panel angle.
:confused:

Tim, thanks for replying. You could be getting me closer to understanding. We did notice that the straighter the angle of the panels, the more they disappeared in the room. Maybe the disappearing is requiring more of a sound level.

Lee

Lee, when was the last time you vaccuumed your Vantages ??

Hey Dave, It has only been a couple of months since I vacuumed them. Can't say I noticed much difference. (I guess that is why I am more of an enthusiast and not an audiophile.)

Lee

Hi Lee,

I've had my 250.5 for close to a year and have experienced somewhat the same phenomena.

Absent of cleaning the contacts and vacumming the panels, which I do and are certainly the first things to try, my sense is that the amp has "fully" broken in.

I know, I know what some may say but it's a thought.

Question for you is do you still like the sound?

GG

...I have made very few room treatment changes over the year...
Could it be the Vantages settling in? Could it be the amp weakening?

The issue could be solely related to room treatment/speaker postioning changes. With ML's, even small changes in distance from wall, or addition/subtraction of acoustic treatments, can significantly affect SPL's and soundstage. What room treatment changes have you made?

If vacuuming, and cleaning contacts does not solve the problem, I would definitely devote some time to tweaking your speaker placement and/or acoustic treatments.

Lee, did you ever get this resolved?

Hi Tim, Not yet. I won't have a chance until DEC; I am currently away again. Just trying to get a feel so that I will know if i need to order anything before I get back. Just seemed odd; I am leaning towards the fact that I adjusted the panels to a more 90 degree configuration.

Thanks, Lee

I've had my 250.5 for close to a year and have experienced somewhat the same phenomena.

My sense is that the amp has "fully" broken in.

Question for you is do you still like the sound? GG

Yes, I think alot has to do with everything being "burned" in with many listening hours.

I do enjoy the sound, just have to add more volume to get the same response.

Lee

The issue could be solely related to room treatment/speaker postioning changes. With ML's, even small changes in distance from wall, or addition/subtraction of acoustic treatments, can significantly affect SPL's and soundstage. What room treatment changes have you made?QUOTE]

Not much, replaced the leather furniture with new leather furniture. And, adjusted the panels to be more straight up and down. First chance I get I might tilt them back a turn or two and see what happens.

Lee

Hey Lee,
This may be a silly suggestion, but make sure the output level for the Front Channels of your Sony AVR hasn't been tweaked from what you had before. Maybe something as simple as that explains it. Best of luck, and let us know what you conclude!

Make sure the output level for the Front Channels of your Sony AVR hasn't been tweaked from what you had before. Maybe something as simple as that explains it.

Hey Brian, Thanks for the suggestion, it is entirely possible and I will check my settings at first chance. Have you been able to get your Vantages dialed in; do they disappear into the room?

Lee

Latest posts

Back