Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert, how did you make out with the 911 ?

Also, tell me that's not a 'Prancing Horse' decal on the front fender of the Shelby kit car ?
Didn't notice that decal. Not sure what that is.
The problem in my car is just starting to happen, and only happened once. The engine was running too lean. An expert looked at the data and thinks it's probably the fuel pump starting to go out. It's an 07. Sounds likely. I'm worried it could be fuel injectors because it was only on one side of the engine. The guy that looked at the data is an expert though and does custom performance programs for Porsches and other sports cars. He's one of the best.
They still have my car and are going to contact me later today with the estimate. When a check engine light comes on, they need to make it a dollar sign $!

hoping for the least expensive outcome !
Well, they decided to not do anything for now rather than throw parts at it. Need to wait for it to happen again. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Sucks too because it's a 2 hour round trip.$380 for looking at it.

On a car related note, I have found little in the way of new cars that I find interesting, but for some reason the Cybertruck has caught my eye.
I'm not likely to do anything for at least another couple years, but I find it interesting for a lot of reasons.

I've owned two F150's and I like being able to move big things on occasion even if I don't have a ski boat to tow around anymore. But that would all be local. My car sits in the garage and mostly collects dust for 2-3 days sometimes 4 at a time without moving. I only take a few long trips a year, but my wife has her eyes on a decent sized hybrid that would be perfect for trips.

It has lots of versatility, I wouldn't have issues with range, and everything else I'm looking at is in a similar price range.

Unlike most conventional trucks, there isn't much of any efficiency issue. It's not as efficient as a Model 3/Y/S/X, but it's only about 1/3 less efficient. Especially for driving around town where my current 4wd Crossover only gets about 18mpg. The Cybertruck would be a LOT more efficient and since I barely drive, I could leave it charged 70-80% extending the battery life.

It also surprisingly is about the same size as my F150 that used to fit in my garage. They reduced the overall size of it by 5% since they first announced it. The only downside I could see at least today is that it will draw attention for a while. Hopefully in a couple years that will die down. The 4 wheel steering also makes it surprisingly easy to park compared to any truck I've ever owned or driven and gives it a much smaller turning radius.

It has a lot more versatility when I need it, but is very quiet and comfortable to drive. The heavy duty glass is like two pane glass in terms of sound deadening. The SS unibody construction makes it stiffer than most exotic sports cars, and it is extremely fast. While it has a suspension that can go pretty high it defaults to a much lower height so it is easy to get into without needing a step.

You've probably seen this which is just nuts.

On a car related note, I have found little in the way of new cars that I find interesting, but for some reason the Cybertruck has caught my eye.
I'm not likely to do anything for at least another couple years, but I find it interesting for a lot of reasons.

I've owned two F150's and I like being able to move big things on occasion even if I don't have a ski boat to tow around anymore. But that would all be local. My car sits in the garage and mostly collects dust for 2-3 days sometimes 4 at a time without moving. I only take a few long trips a year, but my wife has her eyes on a decent sized hybrid that would be perfect for trips.

It has lots of versatility, I wouldn't have issues with range, and everything else I'm looking at is in a similar price range.

Unlike most conventional trucks, there isn't much of any efficiency issue. It's not as efficient as a Model 3/Y/S/X, but it's only about 1/3 less efficient. Especially for driving around town where my current 4wd Crossover only gets about 18mpg. The Cybertruck would be a LOT more efficient and since I barely drive, I could leave it charged 70-80% extending the battery life.

It also surprisingly is about the same size as my F150 that used to fit in my garage. They reduced the overall size of it by 5% since they first announced it. The only downside I could see at least today is that it will draw attention for a while. Hopefully in a couple years that will die down. The 4 wheel steering also makes it surprisingly easy to park compared to any truck I've ever owned or driven and gives it a much smaller turning radius.

It has a lot more versatility when I need it, but is very quiet and comfortable to drive. The heavy duty glass is like two pane glass in terms of sound deadening. The SS unibody construction makes it stiffer than most exotic sports cars, and it is extremely fast. While it has a suspension that can go pretty high it defaults to a much lower height so it is easy to get into without needing a step.

You've probably seen this which is just nuts.

I won't be buying an all electric until the government either forces me or when the battery science gets to the point where replacement cost isn't insane. The way it is now, a new battery will set you back about $20,000. When a car is 7 or 8 years old, it may not even be worth that much. Makes zero sense to buy one for me because we keep our cars a long time.

I was looking at that electric Ford Mustang GT, but the whole battery cost issue makes it a moot point now.

There are people with hundreds of thousands of miles of EV's using the original batteries with a decade of use.

Toyota has solid state batteries coming that will outlive you and they are due to be here in about 3 years.

If you have a small number of cells that fail, there are companies that will repair batteries.

If you buy a EV today, the odds are that by the time the battery needs replacing, the cost to replace it will be far lower and you may even be able to upgrade to a better technology.

The original battery lasted over 250,000 miles. After 180,000 miles on the current battery, the range drop on a full charge has only sacrificed about 20 miles overall. This is with constant supercharging under its belt, too, as it originally served as a full-time Uber rideshare vehicle.

I had a good laugh at the cyber truck video drag racing the 911. Apples to Oranges IMO. Yes EV's are quick, we all know that, but a Porsche 911 wasn't built for the 1/4 mile. Id love to see how that ugly assed 'Muskmobile' does against the 911 around the Nurburgring !

I had a good laugh at the cyber truck video drag racing the 911. Apples to Oranges IMO. Yes EV's are quick, we all know that, but a Porsche 911 wasn't built for the 1/4 mile. Id love to see how that ugly assed 'Muskmobile' does against the 911 around the Nurburgring !
Of course it's a publicity stunt, but I'm never going to drive around the ring and it is so incredibly overkill for every single use that I would have for it.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Musk at all especially in recent years, but they completely re-engineered the pickup truck from the ground up and everything is the way it is for a reason and so far I can't find any good reasons to change their design decisions.
The appearance may be polarizing, but I think after they've been out a few years, that will pass.

Last edited:
Doubt it could best my 911 turbo. Stock mine does 0 to 60 in 3.3. I've modified it and it's getting more hp. Stock is 480 and it's about 535 hp now.

Of course it's a publicity stunt, but I'm never going to drive around the ring and it is so incredibly overkill for every single use that I would have for it.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Musk at all especially in recent years, but they completely re-engineered the pickup truck from the ground up and everything is the way it is for a reason and so far I can't find any good reasons to change their design decisions.
The appearance may be polarizing, but I think after they've been out a few years, that will pass.
All the literature I've read says they are only good for about 80 to 90k miles. Not sure if years of ownership has an impact.

All the literature I've read says they are only good for about 80 to 90k miles. Not sure if years of ownership has an impact.
I'm guessing you are reading anti-EV literature. Most accounts I've seen point to around 200,000+ miles with today's technology. However that is going to increase dramatically in the next 3 years. The YouTube video I linked to showed a guy who put 250K miles on his first battery and had 150K miles on his 2nd battery so far.

"The Cybertruck is headlined by the "Cyberbeast" which has an 845-hp tri-motor drivetrain and claims a 0-60 mph time of 2.6 seconds, and a sub-11-second quarter-mile."

This is double edged sword though.

The issue I see is that when a person buys a Porsche Turbo, they tend to have respect for the fact that the car is very fast and could get you into trouble.

When an average person who has never owned a high performance sports car buys one of these, they are likely not ready for how quickly they can get into trouble.
Model 3 Sport model has a 3.1 sec 0-60
Model S Plaid gets a 2.4 sec 0-60

This is why Tesla's currently get into more accidents than any other car. This is no lag. They have 100% torque available all the time, there is no gear drop, or getting into the high torque band of the rpm curve. It's all available instantly and I suspect people who would have had time to back off of a bad situation in a normal car, are already in trouble in these EV's.

The Tesla Roadster that is supposed to arrive in 2024 should have a 1.9 sec 0-60.

Unlike an ICE car there are no concerns about running lean, or having the engine fail. There is no transmission, simply a differential. The motor rotates backwards for reverse. So you never worry about burning up a clutch or tearing up your transmission either.

Last edited:
This guy did a 300,000 mile over 10 year cost comparison of owning a Model S vs. an Audi A7 Quattro or Subaru Legacy.

The important point is that the savings in fuel vs. a premium sporty car would have been enough to pay for two battery replacements at full list price, compared to the Subaru, he still would have saved enough to replace the battery pack once. The battery tech has improved a lot in the 10 years since he got his Model S.

1703342480897.png

1703342749789.png

1703342823102.png

He had a battery fail at 147,000 miles and Tesla replaced it under warranty. The second Battery is over 150K miles and is running well.

I won't be buying an all electric until the government either forces me or when the battery science gets to the point where replacement cost isn't insane. The way it is now, a new battery will set you back about $20,000. When a car is 7 or 8 years old, it may not even be worth that much. Makes zero sense to buy one for me because we keep our cars a long time.

I was looking at that electric Ford Mustang GT, but the whole battery cost issue makes it a moot point now.
Lease…..

While the tech behind EV's is cool, I'm not sold and simply not a fan. I really wanted to get on board when it came time to replace my previous vehicle, but after much consideration and research the ICE won again. 😎

This guy did a 300,000 mile over 10 year cost comparison of owning a Model S vs. an Audi A7 Quattro or Subaru Legacy.

The important point is that the savings in fuel vs. a premium sporty car would have been enough to pay for two battery replacements at full list price, compared to the Subaru, he still would have saved enough to replace the battery pack once. The battery tech has improved a lot in the 10 years since he got his Model S.

View attachment 24780

View attachment 24781

View attachment 24782

He had a battery fail at 147,000 miles and Tesla replaced it under warranty. The second Battery is over 150K miles and is running well.

Whatever, it is still shitty place to spend part of your life in (Tesla).
Got tesla Y for couple of weeks, as try-out. Nah, ordered another BMW.

uncomfortable, noisy at higher speeds, smelling cheap and no heads-up display.

I think around 2030 EVs will,be mature technology - charge time, let’s say 10 min for 500 km, then we can talk.

Last edited:
Seems a very personal thing in terms of liking it or not.

I have a friend who was extremely anti-EV and also a long time Mercedes owner for both he and his wife. He has owned a Model Y for 3 months now and says he can't imagine ever wanting an ICE car ever again. He also has a Mercedes plugin hybrid for towing, but that model is not currently imported to the US. He said with the 60mile range that he never uses gas on his hybrid unless he is on a trip.

However, I have heard that the Ionic 6 is a much quieter and more comfortable EV in a very similar form factor to the Model Y.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are reading anti-EV literature. Most accounts I've seen point to around 200,000+ miles with today's technology. However that is going to increase dramatically in the next 3 years. The YouTube video I linked to showed a guy who put 250K miles on his first battery and had 150K miles on his 2nd battery so far.

"The Cybertruck is headlined by the "Cyberbeast" which has an 845-hp tri-motor drivetrain and claims a 0-60 mph time of 2.6 seconds, and a sub-11-second quarter-mile."

This is double edged sword though.

The issue I see is that when a person buys a Porsche Turbo, they tend to have respect for the fact that the car is very fast and could get you into trouble.

When an average person who has never owned a high performance sports car buys one of these, they are likely not ready for how quickly they can get into trouble.
Model 3 Sport model has a 3.1 sec 0-60
Model S Plaid gets a 2.4 sec 0-60

This is why Tesla's currently get into more accidents than any other car. This is no lag. They have 100% torque available all the time, there is no gear drop, or getting into the high torque band of the rpm curve. It's all available instantly and I suspect people who would have had time to back off of a bad situation in a normal car, are already in trouble in these EV's.

The Tesla Roadster that is supposed to arrive in 2024 should have a 1.9 sec 0-60.

Unlike an ICE car there are no concerns about running lean, or having the engine fail. There is no transmission, simply a differential. The motor rotates backwards for reverse. So you never worry about burning up a clutch or tearing up your transmission either.
Do you know the effects of time on the battery? Some say they got 250k miles out of a battery, how long of a period was that? We dont drive a lot so one of my big concerns is the ravages of time. Our high milage car was a Volvo that had 165,000 miles on it and it was 14 years old. We only got rid of it because many things on it were starting to break down and it just did not make financial sense to fix it any longer. I dont want to have a 10 year old electric car with a Kelly Blue Book of $6000 and it needs a new battery that costs $20,000.

Obviously, people are not going to change their minds about EV's instantly and the technology is evolving.

Recently manufactured Tesla battery packs are supposed to be good for 300-500K miles and that will only improve with time.

But older Tesla battery packs from 10+ year old cars would be likely to fail around 150-200K miles. For about $5,000 you could likely have it repaired, or like your 165,000 Volvo at some point you would get rid of it.

The first Tesla to pass 1 million miles was an early Model S in Europe and its drive motors wore out a number of times.
The newer motors in the Model 3 are supposed to last 1 million miles without replacement.

I'm not twisting anyone's arm to buy an EV, but I find it funny how people focus on lump sums and ignore all the money saved before that point.

It's not surprising though. Slowly spending money over the years, even if it adds up to well more than a lump sum later doesn't have the same emotional impact. It's sort of like people afraid to fly because of seeing a plane crash, despite the much higher number of fatalities for miles driven vs. miles flown.

I’m convinced the tech is changing so fast that spending a ton on an EV today is not wise, hence I intend to lease. I’ve an Acura ZDX type S on order, but we will see…..they haven’t disclosed lease pricing yet, let alone exact pricing!

Back