NOT another cable thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I've just been killing time and ran across something I don't understand.

I've seen the Mit Shotgun S3 speaker cable. What is the box attached to them supposed to do? Went to the web site and seems kinda vague to me. I'm not looking for opinions, just what is this thing supposed to do?

Gordon

Forgive me Neil...

From http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/Cables%20WP.htm

"Many cable manufacturers deliberately add a lot of capacitance to their cables. For example, you will find a box at the end of MIT cables, which contains capacitors. Alpha Core (Goertz) cables are made as a sandwich with two ribbon conductors very close together, which produces high capacitance and often, amplifier instability. Woven wires are close together so have high capacitance. These types of high-capacitance cables are best avoided when operating ESLs."

I only found this out recently from the above - I always wondered too. But then rules were always made to be broken. If it sounds good - keep it. If it doesn't - ditch it!

Last edited:
Oy!!

Gordon and Tom: Bruce Brisson holds the patents for time-aligned interconnect. He is the KING of multistrand. Monster Cable still makes his original design (because that's the only one Bruce patented when he was working for them!!) Straightwire and Audioquest and a few others license his patents. In fact, if you go to the MIT website, the patent numbers in the technical section http://www.mitcables.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74&Itemid=88 actually link to the USPO files (you'll need a little tiff plug-in to view the drawings) you can see his patented design for cable and other stuff along with those "boxes" which I'll get to shortly. But the bottom line (and this is Mr. Brisson's explanation, NOT MINE!) is that when two or more gauges of stranded (and separately insulated) wire are used in an interconnect, one can actually force different frequencIes to favor travelling in certain gauge wire rather than others. For instance, due to skin effect, high freq. likes the fine fuzzy wires, while lo-freq prefers travelling thru the thicker gauges. Since hi-freq can travel faster on the surface, it would get to the other end of the IC sooner than the lo-freqs. UNLESS you could make the hi-freqs. have to travel FARTHER, which you do by winding the fuzzy wire AROUND the thick wire THUS MAKING IT LONGER!! This does create a cable with a lot of capacitance! However since it is a (relatively) short IC carrying very small signal and driving not a mechanical device (like a speaker) but only a tube or ss input, it will not have much effect on the frequency curve of the signal .

It's NOT THE SAME FOR SPEAKER CABLES! Too much capacitance can alter the frequency contour of the signal, which is a strong signal and drives a real world mechanical (speaker) load. Also, too much inductance (like when you down-shift to slow the car) can reduce the damping factor and affect woofer performance.

Brisson extended his ideas about IC design to speaker cable design, which in hindsight perhaps wasn't necessary or even desireable. The two most stranded SC's are the MIT and the Cardas, followed closely by Straightwire, Audioquest, Transparent, Nordost -- that I'm aware of, and many that I'm not. In an effort to reverse the effects of capacitance (and inductance) on frequency response in their speaker cables, MIT and Transparent and others have added these "network boxes" to electrically neutralize the capacitance/inductance before it gets into the speaker crossover -- which of course begs the question "Why make highly stranded speaker cable in the first place?".

The solid core crowd can certainly crow about their products' advantages, And frankly, although there are some disadvantages, they are mostly of a practical nature (like really stiff and hard to manage) but they do deliver great sound -- as I'm finding out auditioning the new Purist Audio 'Provectus' SC (~$7000 for 2.5 m) Next will be the Virtual Dynamic cable, which is comparable in spec and construction, but less than half the price! I am looking for these cables to produce NEW performance qualities in my CLS's, not just BETTER this or LESS of that; Here's how I explained it to Alber Porter who lent me the demo pair:

My auditioning solid-core low capacitance SC is not meant to be a "taste test". I want to see if solid core, separated-run SC's will provide electrostats with any new performance attributes, as opposed to simply making incremental improvements to the existing ones (or not ;-)

Anyway, having lived with these speakers for over 17 years, I'm certain I'll hear if there are qualitative changes -- that's what I'll be primarily listening for. In the case of my speakers, it could be things like:
  • 10Hz additional bass extension
  • smoother at the very top, so the softening switch can be defeated
  • higher SPL at the same gain = a virtual increase in efficiency
  • comb filtering no longer audible at any level
I'm only aware of two other makers of solid core, single crystal, separate run SC's. I wanted to hear the Provectus first, since the rest of my system is all-Purist.

So far, I'm excited by the sound -- and mind you, my Venustas are very low capacitance cables ~20 pF/foot, but not ZERO! And the demo set of Provectus will need another 50 - 100 hours to settle in, but the CLS's are loving it so far, and so am I.

Last edited:
deliberately?

"Many cable manufacturers deliberately add a lot of capacitance to their cables. For example, you will find a box at the end of MIT cables, which contains capacitors. Alpha Core (Goertz) cables are made as a sandwich with two ribbon conductors very close together, which produces high capacitance and often, amplifier instability. Woven wires are close together so have high capacitance. These types of high-capacitance cables are best avoided when operating ESLs."
Yes I also question that part or Mr. Sanders' story. Why anyone would ADD capacitance to a speaker cable escapes me. However, in talking directly with Roger, he also said things like, "I'm not an audiophile, I'm an engineer . . . . . . . . " I didn't press him on that one because I was in a rowdy mood and might have said something like, "Oh! When did you suffer your hearing loss?" So I just let it alone :rolleyes:. Besides, whether he knows/admitis it or not, his creation of such great sounding speakers and electronics proves something else is going on with him beside simple number crunching!

As for whether or not those **network boxes make multistrand high capacitance SC's work as well with electrostats as speaker cables with one to four solid conductors, and low or no capacitance, I'm not prepared to say because I haven't had an opportunity to make that comparison.

** There have been a couple articles where individuals have opened the large network boxes on Transparent speaker cables and found virtually nothing inside! This is not the case w/ MIT which actually has real, adjustable, R/C circuits inside the box, per Bruce Brisson's patents.

Last edited:
Code:
Why anyone would ADD capacitance to a speaker cable escapes me.

Capacitance and inductance are related as complex impedance (or j). If something overall is capacitive, then adding inductance in the same amount can bring it back to neutral. Inversely, if it's inductive, then adding the same amount of capacitance can reutralize the inductance.

Capacitance is -j and inductance is +j. -j is a time lag and +j is time leading. (I think these means the older you are, the more capacitance you are and the attraction to younger women is because of their inductance???) Not only can the cable have capacitive loading and some inductance, the crossover elements and the speakers, particularly big woofers, can also show an inductive load back to the amplifier.

Probably the hardest part to get your mind wrapped around complex impedance is the frequency dependant part of it. A capacitor is its rated value at one specific frequency. At another frequency its different. Likewise, an inductor value changes depending on the frequency. Most desirable is for this to be a gentle sweeping change, not abrupt. An example of abrupt changes is ringing behavior or sharp peaks. A coil is designed to be just that. Q, is a measure of how sharply tuned a coil is.

This is also a time behavior situation. Gentle changes or absence of multiple poles is general desirable. An example is the common practice of using small capacitors to bypass larger values. This doesn't always produce better sound because of introducing additional poles or timing changes. Better is using a good capacitor that doesn't need bypassing, hence not having unrelated additional timing changes.

Yes, every speaker will present different complex impedance loads. This is why the high end ones are made for specific speaker models.

OldMonolith

Back