nordost bannana z plugs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tony gange

I have odysseys for the fronts and the theater i for my center channel.Am planning on buying blue heaven speaker wire
1)will the z plugs fit my posts or will the spades be better?
2)I am bi-wiring the odysseys- does that make more sense than buying a jumper ?
3)should i have two cables for my theater terminated on either end or will the standard blue heaven cable work better?
Thanks
Tony

According to Martin Logan the spades are the better way to go.

I use Blue Heavens for my Ascents and for my Theater. The Ascents are bi wired with z plugs at the speaker side and spades at the amp end. The Theater is shotgun bi wired with spades at both ends. I can't say that I did any a/b testing of the Ascent connections but the z plug terminations fit great. Maybe if I was having them made I would go spades but since I bought mine on Audiogon, I couldn't justify the cost of the swap out to spades. I do love these cables and use the Blue Heavens for IC's as well. Hope this helps.

Is bi-wire shot gun when 2 cables are connested to one termination point on either end and shot gun just a regular cable ?

My red dawn's are z-plugs in a bi-wire configuration... avoid the jumpers if you can.

Last edited:
How do you like the red dawns.
I haven't ordered my Blue Heavens yet and I want to make sure I'm making the correct decision.
Thanks

How do you like the red dawns.
I haven't ordered my Blue Heavens yet and I want to make sure I'm making the correct decision.
Thanks

Love them. They have fantastic speed that allows my amp to fire on all cylinders. As a side note, my dealer recommended that my interconnects be one step up from which ever cabling I chose.

Is bi-wire shot gun when 2 cables are connested to one termination point on either end and shot gun just a regular cable ?

You got it. On mine that run is four widths of cable wide with two widths terminating into each spade. I attached two illustrations. The one on the left is just what you described above as regular cable and the one on the right shows the amp end of a spade bi wire termination where if you ran a shotgun bi wire it would look like that at both ends. Hope this helps. I very much agree with SugarMedia when he said they allow the amp to fire on all cylinders.

Attachments

• regular (shotgun).jpg
    regular (shotgun).jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 398
  • spades bi wire shotgun.jpg
    spades bi wire shotgun.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 406
Not meaning to hijack your thread Tony but I wanted to ask these guys that already have the Nordost cables, do they seem a tad lean/bright to you? Right now I have the Analysis Plus Oval 9's and like them alot but have always wanted the Nordost cables, either Blue Heaven or Red Dawns) but was concerned with brightness. Thanks for the advice.

John

I wanted to ask these guys that already have the Nordost cables, do they seem a tad lean/bright to you?
John

John, here's a quote from Roberto, another forum member. "Cables are a matter of taste. If your sound is too bright, then use high quality copper cable. If your sound needs more high frequency extension, then use silver."

As for me, I have a tubed CD player and the warmth of it paired with the SPM's and Red Dawns worked best for my system and my ears. Most of these places out there should be more than willing to let you audition them for a few days so you can see what works best for you.

Here's a very old thread that might be of use:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=462&highlight=brand

Search DTB's name too. He has tons of threads going on cable flavors.

Nordost cables for Martin Logan

I have Nordost cabling throughout my system. Used Valhalla with Ascent i's and now with Summits. As you go up in the Nordost line, the balance of the cables change and become more event throughout the sound spectrum. This is, I am told, a function of the signal transfer speed, so that no frequency band is favored over another. I have heard their newer series (Baldur, Heimdall, Frey) and these cables offer at a much lower price many of the desirable qualities of the much more expensive Valhalla series.
Of course, cable "sound quality" is a matter of matching with electronics as well. In short, you have to audition any cable to see if it makes sense in your system. A company like The Cable Company has an extensive library of cables that allows you to make comparisons at virtually no risk except for shipping charges.

I ordered the Blue Heavans for the odysseys and Red Dawn for the theater.I have Simaudio equipment which tends to be on the mellow side so I thought the Red Dawn for the center channel might give more percieved detail.
I have three 28' interconnects so I went to Blue Jean cable and got the LC-1 cable.
Any name brand was just too expensive for that long run.

Thanks for the info guys. The shop I bought my center and surrounds at here in Austin carries Nordost and I believe they will allow me to try them out. I think I'll go give them a listen for a few days and see what I think. I too have a tubed cd player and it is nice and smooth. Also have a new amp arriving today and it's a Classe CA-300. Have read and been told that it is a nice laid back sound so this could be fun and interesting. Thanks again!!

John

John, Let us know what you think of them after you have had them for a few days.

good luck,

Back