Nordest Heimdell Speaker Cable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tah800

Reaction score
Got my new Nordest Heimdell speaker cable. I hooked it up to my Carvers and expected a Christmas miracle. What a let down. The bass was as thin as hell. You would think from a set of cables that retail at over $1600(I paid $800) would be a great improvement over my old M1 monster that I bought back in the early nineties. Well it's not. Everything I had read and heard had nothing but glowing things to say about it. I can't imagine that you would have to pay another $4000 for let's say Valhalla and maybe get the bass that I can get already for my old Monster . I not even sure the mids and highs are any better. I used a combination of Frey and Heimdell for my interconnect along with the Heimdell speaker cable. Another $800 bucks for that. I was planning on getting one more complete set of cables and after reading countless reviews came up with the Nordost. I think the company must be paying somebody to write that stuff. Anybody want a great deal on some Heimdell Speaker Cable. I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply on that one. Art

I'm sorry to hear that. I have had the opposite results, which is to say I'm very pleased with my Heimdall ICs and SCs. My experience has been similar to what the reviewers have been saying. Maybe it is a system synergy issue in your case. At any rate, these are very popular cables so you should be able to sell them without much problem.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say too. I've always heard the Nordost stuff with SS electronics and been very impressed as you move up the line. Not to bash the Carver stuff (I'm just not a fan), but are you sure it's the cables that are the limiting factor?

Nordost Heimdell Speaker Cables

I think what I can gather from the last reply is that it may be my equipment that is at fault and the Nordost. The only way I can answer that is that the Carver Amazing along with the proper amount of power produce some of the strongest and best bass I have ever heard in the 20 odd years I've been in the high end racket. I would never knock Martin Logan speakers as I already have the Theater i and Scripts in my setup. I can however tell when the amount of bass has diminished. That is exactly what happened when I added these cables. I also switched back and forth many times with my original speaker cable. The bass loss is significant. I quess Nordost maybe figures you should be ready to shell out 15 to 20 grand if you want to hear any significant differences. Remember the old saying you should get what you pay for. I don't think I did.

Sounds like you're let down on your new wires. I had the same thing happen to me when I went from Mapleshades to WireWorld. The WireWorlds were over 10 times what I paid for the MS and thought, I paid for this?

I went back and forth between the two and after a honest evaluation, I actually prefered the WW. I came to accept the sound of the MS as being accurate and pleasing to my ear. When the WW was installed, a completely different sound was produced which at first I did not care for. But as I switched back and forth, the WW sounded much more authentic to me. Fortunately, I could have sent the WW back if I did not like them, so it was not a matter of being "stuck" with them in my case.

Hopefully, you can give them a bit more time to grow on you or sell them off if they are not your cup of tea. I will say even though it is of no comfort to you, I appreciate your honesty. Most reviews are glowing and the angels appear!

Gordon

I'm very happy with my Nordost Frey (the next step up form the Heimdalls). They're a very revealing cable, but not all bass-shy. I'm at a loss to explain your disappointment, but obvously some anti-synergy is a play here... *Shrug*

Art,

Sorry about the results.

FWIW, the Golden Rule regarding cables (and system synergy) is to audition, with a money back option, to avoid the very experience you are having.

One question. Are you sure the wire is broken in? This can make a major difference in one's perceptions.

Good luck.

GG

Nodost Cable

Gordon, I live in a small town in New Brunswick Canada(bordering your state of Maine) They haven't even heard of Nordost here. When you buy something in these parts it's yours. I got the speaker cable out of Texas. Guy said he was puting them on a Vidar machine til my money order got there. My Carvers have 4 twelve inch woofers in each cabinet. I really wonder if that thin ribbon cable can carry enough power to move them sufficiently. I know they need a lot of power to run them properly I presently have monoblocks that deliver 550 a side and the speakers still eat them up. Art

I'm very happy with my Nordost Frey (the next step up form the Heimdalls). They're a very revealing cable, but not all bass-shy. I'm at a loss to explain your disappointment, but obvously some anti-synergy is a play here... *Shrug*

I got Nordost Frey speaker cables a couple weeks ago, and I feel like the bass is a little weaker than the DH Labs cables I was previously using, but the sound overall is cleaner.

Nordost Vidar cable burner

Enlarge Image / MorePrint Product Info.Bookmark This PageNordost Vidar Cable Burn In Service
more products by Nordost

Available options:
4 Days / 96 Hours7 Days / 168 Hours5 Days / 120 Hours

Ref. Code: NOR/VIDAR

£34.25 inc. VAT
It's the nodost machine for burning in cables. I tried to paste the picture too but it didn't show up. Usually the dealers have this and usually charge a little if you want your cables conditioned. Some people think this is B.S. I really have no idea . It certainly didn't do much for the Heimdell I have. Art

Vive le Vidar!!

Alan,

If you've been a good boy this year, I'm going to call Santa and have him bring one of these cable cooker devices to your home this Christmas. :eek:

Gordon

Alan,

If you've been a good boy this year, I'm going to call Santa and have him bring one of these cable cooker devices to your home this Christmas. :eek:

Gordon

Great! I like mine cooked "al dente."

Actually, makes me wonder... if you "cook" it, then "cryo" it, does that neutralize the benefit? :D

A very good question and quite the audiophile paradox I'd say.

Back on topic, I hope things work out OK for you Art.

Cabling can be quite the mystery and seems, from my experience, to be very system dependent from a hardware synergy perspective, in addition to the individual's perception of the particular wire, given the subjective pros and cons thereof.

GG

Last edited:
Actually, makes me wonder... if you "cook" it, then "cryo" it, does that neutralize the benefit? :D
If you cook something and then freeze it, you are increasing the time before it goes bad......or in the words of the immortal MiTT, "before it goes kaka". :)

Gift from Santa

Hey Gordon never mind getting Santa to send me the cable cooker. How about some 25 year old honey dressed in nothing but a big bow. Then I won't care what the damn cable sounds like. How about that!!!!:ROFL:

Don't cook your cables. Every time I've heard a cable "Cooked" it sounds exactly that...

Cardas will no longer warranty a cable that's been through a cooker...

Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back