No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
My worst fear when shipping freight. Now to get the boxes home to talley up the damage..

Dan

IMG_3903.jpg

It looks superficial. Let us know how it goes.

Seeing the damage brings back memories of purchasing my first set of brand new reQuests. Saw them standing on the loading dock with a huge hole in the back of one of the boxes. Took them home, unpacked them, and everything looked OK. Then I played them and one of the request panels started buzzing. On closer inspection I saw that the speaker from the damaged box had a dent in the panel. Called Martin Logan and they quickly send out a new panel. Unfortunately, the prodigy speakers are 16 years old and aren't going to warrant a free panel from Martin Logan if one is damaged.

The worst part is that I'm out of town till tomorrow evening, so I get to sit and stew. Lol

fingers crossed for you Dan, hopefully everything will be Ok.

It looks superficial. Let us know how it goes.

You were correct, whew!!! The damage hit the cardboard packing inside, therefore missed the panels. I was more concerned with the structure of the speaker than the panel itself. I planned on purchasing a set of panels from ML anyway, due to the age. The panels still sound fairly bright and crisp and even, considering they are original. Need to still play with placement so I can get them up on spikes. I have dreamed of owning a set of Prodigys since the release in 2001, or so. Met Gayle at the demo, where he signed my reQuest owners manual.
Now, to order some new panels and get these beauties back to original! BTW: I have placed my Odysseys up for sale, which I purchased new old stock a year and a half ago. The panels just got broke in!
http://https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8j8bb-martin-logan-odyssey-planars

Dan

You were correct, whew!!! The damage hit the cardboard packing inside, therefore missed the panels. I was more concerned with the structure of the speaker than the panel itself. I planned on purchasing a set of panels from ML anyway, due to the age. The panels still sound fairly bright and crisp and even, considering they are original. Need to still play with placement so I can get them up on spikes. I have dreamed of owning a set of Prodigys since the release in 2001, or so. Met Gayle at the demo, where he signed my reQuest owners manual.
Now, to order some new panels and get these beauties back to original! BTW: I have placed my Odysseys up for sale, which I purchased new old stock a year and a half ago. The panels just got broke in!
http://https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8j8bb-martin-logan-odyssey-planars

Dan

Wow. So tell us about the odyssey/prodigy differences? I heard them in a galaxy far away and got Odysseys because of moolah. And of course never heard them in my house. I know the bass is better but what else? You found those Odysseys brand new in a box just awhile back didn't you?

Wow. So tell us about the odyssey/prodigy differences? I heard them in a galaxy far away and got Odysseys because of moolah. And of course never heard them in my house. I know the bass is better but what else? You found those Odysseys brand new in a box just awhile back didn't you?

So far my comparison between the two is limited. However, the immediate difference is the deeper midrange and much larger sound field that’s more akin to my reQuest. With the Prodigy I feel drawn to add more power where as with the Odyssey I felt as though it had all the power they needed. The Odyssey with their brand new panels are extremely detailed. Without a doubt they are truly an audiophile speaker. With that being said, even with 16 year old panels the Prodigy gives that extra level of detail. It’s crazy! I will be ordering new panels from ML; I can’t wait to hear the detail then.
I hate to get rid of the Odyssey’s, after all they’re still new in all respects. My wife and I sat down and tried to figure out a place for them, as surrounds or bedroom, but we just don’t have the room. :(

Dan

Hi Dan,

Would the sweet spot( center listening position ) be a bit larger than with the Odyssey's using the Prodigy's? I own the Odyssey's and find the sweet spot small.

I used to have 3 seats. Sitting in the center one was great for music. I now have a love seat sofa so sitting position is just left or right of center . I used the toe in flashlight method from each seated position.

Greg

Last edited:
Back