Nine Inch Nails - The Slip - Or 24/96 How To Listen To Generically Via DVD-Video

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Just been trawling the site for the thread I created months back saying this was a free download. I tried to post it in the recommended recordings but it got moved out of it - presumably because it was a download.

Whilst there is some record of it, and the fact it was moved, the thread itself is gone. Totally. Dunno why.

Anyway, you can still download the 24/96 version at http://www.nin.com - the last time I tried it was by supplying a torrent to you for use with a P2P package.

If you don't know what that means, this is going to be a bit of effort for you. Do some Googling on torrents.

Anyway, having downloaded it, how do you play it? Well, you could make a DVD-Audio disk if your player and burner supports it. Or you could pump it into your DAC from a PC/laptop if your DAC will support it (via USB or using a USB to Toslink converter). Or just connect your high-def soundcard output straight into your hi-fi.

Here's another way. It's good if you have a PS3, or a DVD or Universal player that supports 24/96. Or indeed a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista that supports the audio part of DVD-Video disks, as I found out it did purely by fluke. A nice surprise!

Amazingly, DVD-Video supports 24/96 LPCM. So, you simply make a DVD slideshow using the jpeg images supplied with "The Slip" download.

To do this, download DVD-lab Pro from a reliable source - say CNet. It's free for 30 days and it does the job. It took me about 30 minutes to make the disk with.

Basically, do the following: dump all the .wav and .jpg files into the asset bin (you will get warnings about the 24/96 files, but ignore them). Then create ten slideshows. In each slideshow, put the right jpeg image into it, and the right .wav file. Then set the slideshow to last the same length as the associated audio track time.

Then create a menu with 10 text links in it. Assign the menu items (text links) to the slideshows. Then compile the project, and blow it to a DVD. The included DVD blowing s/w worked fine for me, but if it doesn't for your h/w, just use what you usually use e.g. Nero.

You will need to look a bit up in the help - I'm not going to tell you eaxctly what to do, but what I have told you is fundamentally all you need to know. However, I will answer any basic questions here. Please note I have about 30 minutes experience with this software, so I am no expert on it, even if I am a s/w engineer!

WARNING - NIN is heavy stuff, and if you don't like fast paced heavy rock you won't like this. But I really like quite a lot of NIN stuff intensely (and it is intense!) - I have all Trent has done pretty much.

Top tracks: Discipline, Echoplex, Demon Seed. Best heard at night after a drink or too.

This post will help anyone with a 24/96 soundtrack that they do not know what to do with! Obviously, you can use any images to make your slideshows, as long as DVD-lab Pro supports the image format.

If you are good with computers as an everyday user you shouldn't find it too difficult.

Good luck & enjoy! Not expecting loads of interest... but I'm sure some of you out there will appreciate it.

Last edited:
Just been checking this out. What does it sound like? Well, it was worth it. There is more delineation between each seperate instrument and the vocals. It's a bit more 3D, and a bit more natural sounding. Closer to analogue, in fact. But it still doesn't sound like analogue.

Bash that sampling rate up by a factor of ten and it'd be unbelievable, I reckon. Not that it isn't very good now.

Check out Shannon's theory, techno guys. Sampling rates are too low. Fact. It's the only way forward. When that's done, that's about as good as we'll ever get, I think. Problem solved.

Red book was never an audiophile format, according to it's inventor.

Last edited:
the 24/96 download sounds way better than the LP or CD.

Having been in a number of recording studios to hear 24/96 masters, most of the engineers I've talked to felt it was just as good as analog.... Sure sounded good to me.

As always, it depends a lot more on the care spent in the recording process...

Well I dunno, maybe we take it all a bit seriously. Good sounds anyway. Right now some old Grace Jones is spinning on the deck and I am well chilled. Got some tickets to see her this Jan in Bristol. Will take a few snaps... if any turn out good I'll post a review.:)

Back