Newbie with Clarity NAC problem-help?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DingMac_UK

Reaction score
Greetings all
around 23 years ago Gayle Sanders took the original CLS around some hifi events in the UK: I went to one, was gobsmacked by what it could do, and swore that one day I would have a pair of Martin Logans.

I work in education: I'll never earn high wages! And ML speakers cost a LOT in the UK. The rec retail for Clarity is £2350, not what one might expect from a dollar: GBP conversion. Until I found a pair of Clarity on american eBay.. new, unopened.. I couldn't resist, with my overdraft limit sorted out I've imported them. With FedEx and import duties it still only came to £1160.

They seem a bit 'shouting' in the mid with plenty of upper bass, little low end but they have only been playing for around 8 hours. However... one of the NAC isn't working. I need to get inside to check its wired OK, what is the best way to do that? For music they already sound great without the NAC, but it would be nice to have the option!

Pictures of the setup soon, once they break in and I sort out the positioning!

Greetings all
around 23 years ago Gayle Sanders took the original CLS around some hifi events in the UK: I went to one, was gobsmacked by what it could do, and swore that one day I would have a pair of Martin Logans.

I work in education: I'll never earn high wages! And ML speakers cost a LOT in the UK. The rec retail for Clarity is £2350, not what one might expect from a dollar: GBP conversion. Until I found a pair of Clarity on american eBay.. new, unopened.. I couldn't resist, with my overdraft limit sorted out I've imported them. With FedEx and import duties it still only came to £1160.

They seem a bit 'shouting' in the mid with plenty of upper bass, little low end but they have only been playing for around 8 hours. However... one of the NAC isn't working. I need to get inside to check its wired OK, what is the best way to do that? For music they already sound great without the NAC, but it would be nice to have the option!

Hola dingmac_UK. Usually when we have the Clarities for critical listening we don't use the NAC. The NAC is good for HT sound effects. Sometimes for music is too bright. Your new Clarities are capable to give outstanding results with stage and size of the instruments. Vocals are palpable and with the right timbre. Also, if you move them at least 1 meter away of their back wall, the bass gets very smooth and well articulated, specially if you spike them. Enjoy your new speakers and welcome to the Club. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I agree with roberto on the NAC. My clarities sounded way better with the NACs turned off. There is a button you can press next to the NAC to enable/disable them, if you hadn't tried that yet.

With the NACs turned on, you want to use this usually if you're walking around the house, entertaining guests.

With the NACs turned off, you want to use this when you're sitting in your chair listening.... whether movies or music. If you're off-center, the NAC helps retrieve lost information.

Joey :)

PS
No one has mentioned it yet.. but.... :welcome:!!

Greetings all

Have Clarity's and never use the NAC except with video and cleaning the house time. they actually mess up the audio imaging and are really too bright to listen to music with. Perfect for video though.

To remove the driver you need to pop off the cover, carefully, I broke mine doing so, and then you can remover the driver and check the connection. Check out the directions for checking below.

Attachments

• Clarity_Service_Manual_Consumer 6.jpg
    Clarity_Service_Manual_Consumer 6.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 242
Have Clarity's and never use the NAC except with video and cleaning the house time. they actually mess up the audio imaging and are really too bright to listen to music with. Perfect for video though.

To remove the driver you need to pop off the cover, carefully, I broke mine doing so, and then you can remover the driver and check the connection. Check out the directions for checking below.

On the Aeion I you cannot remove the cover to the NAC without breaking it. When I had to replace mine, they sent me the complete setup, cover and all.
The instructions even state that the cover will break when removed.

On the Aeion I you cannot remove the cover to the NAC without breaking it. When I had to replace mine, they sent me the complete setup, cover and all.
The instructions even state that the cover will break when removed.

ML will always help you out.... call them and they will indeed send you replacement NAC covers.

Better do it soon before the Claritys go out of style and they no longer carry abundant parts.

Joey

I've had the Clarity's for a couple of years now. One of my NACs is finicky and needs a good push of the button to engage. To be honest with you, I have not used the NAC's for over a year now.. I just test them every now and then.
If a good push of the buttom does not work, you can try to fix them yourself or get ML to help out. They're a good option to have but I feel that they take away fromthe smoothness of the panels.
As far as bass goes, they will need some time to break in and also do require some space behind them. I ended up getting a small Sunfire sub to complement the bass. Your mileage may vary.
Once broken in, I beleive that you will truly enjoy them both for 2 channel listening and especially for HT.
Enjoy & good listening!

Thanks to one and all for advice

Well, what a brilliant response! *thank you* all, I can see that this forum is one I shall really enjoy!

I'm going to make a decision over whether I need a NAC or not once these beautiful machines have broken in. My wife was reallly against me getting these and now we have them she says they need to be somewhere more prominent so they can be seen properly... I guess she is converted to ML!

The sound continues to improve, real acaustic bass is an absolute joy (Diana Krall CD) and Paul Simon's Graceland- I can hear so much more.

Anyway, thanks again - DingMac UK

Well, what a brilliant response! *thank you* all, I can see that this forum is one I shall really enjoy!

I'm going to make a decision over whether I need a NAC or not once these beautiful machines have broken in. My wife was reallly against me getting these and now we have them she says they need to be somewhere more prominent so they can be seen properly... I guess she is converted to ML!

The sound continues to improve, real acoustic bass is an absolute joy (Diana Krall CD) and Paul Simon's Graceland- I can hear so much more.

Anyway, thanks again - DingMac UK

DingMac,

I love the fact that your wife wants them prominently displayed now... Claritys do have high WAF!!

Enjoy your stay here and contribute to the flora of knowledgeable guys (and gal) who roam our little club!

From Chicago to Chesire.... cheers!

Joey :cheers:

Back