Newbie Question.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braminator

Reaction score
I just had the oppertunity to get my hands on some SL'3. The only thing I have to push them for now is a HArmon KArdon HK3480 stereo receiver. A friend has a Audio Source amp 3 he love nad it 2ohm stable. WHould this be a better bet by using the HK as a preamp?

I just had the oppertunity to get my hands on some SL'3. The only thing I have to push them for now is a HArmon KArdon HK3480 stereo receiver. A friend has a Audio Source amp 3 he love nad it 2ohm stable. WHould this be a better bet by using the HK as a preamp?

I would try the Audio Source but you're going to want to upgrade. I don't think 50w is going to be enough.

But also remember REAL watts versus rated watts. H/K are generally considered underrated (or more realistically rated, I should say)

Try it first.

-Allen

You just need to make sure that the amp you get can handle the varying loads the ML speakers will require. They will routinely need from 2 ohms to 8 ohms, and your amp should be able to deliver in that range easily. I don't know H/K myself, so I cannot say if they will do the job for you. Others will probably chime in with better advice based on more experience than I have.

Now I plugeged them in and they work, but if I unplug themfrom the wall the light goes off but the speaker still works. What gives?

Now I plugeged them in and they work, but if I unplug themfrom the wall the light goes off but the speaker still works. What gives?

Like I said the Stat panel is going to stay charged for awhile...I could be way off in the few minute idea too, it could be much longer, the woofer portion is going to work no matter what you do...

Hi,
On most of the Martin Logan models (without built-in amplifiers), all the AC power does is to charge the electrostatic panel up to a high voltage. This bias voltage is stored in capacitors and on the panel diaphragm, and remains even after they are unplugged (so the speakers continue to work).

The high voltage will *slowly* bleed off when they are unplugged, but if the panels are clean, and the humidity is low, it may take several hours for it to completely bleed away. As the high voltage drops, the panels will slowly lose their sound, but they will typically go 20 minutes or more after being unplugged before you can begin to hear a difference.

Peter

Well I picked up an Audio Source Amp300. Man wholy sound martinman. It makes these things sing. IMO you will not find a better amp at this price. More then enough power. Power consumption according to the specs is 1200watts. Thats right 1200 Watts of peak power. I would recommend this amp to anyone.

Well I picked up an Audio Source Amp300. Man wholy sound martinman. It makes these things sing. IMO you will not find a better amp at this price. More then enough power. Power consumption according to the specs is 1200watts. Thats right 1200 Watts of peak power. I would recommend this amp to anyone.

Power consumption != output power. Take e.g. the VTL MB 450, which outputs 500 W into 4 ohms and has a peak consumption of 1200 W. Class A amps are even more inefficient.

Power consumption != output power. Take e.g. the VTL MB 450, which outputs 500 W into 4 ohms and has a peak consumption of 1200 W. Class A amps are even more inefficient.

Power consumption NEVER is as much as output power...not even CLOSE usually!

Back